cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard SWM Dish keeps Searching-won't lock on

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
i've had the dish for 6 months. it worked fine until the other day. now it just keeps searching...we've moved to 3 different locations, weather is clear, no obstructions, etc..
went on roof to physically check and no problems. sent photos to windegard and they don't see any problems either...

has anyone had this problem? please help..i'm missing having TV
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino
Fulltimers Travelin' the U.S.A.
"All who wander are Not Lost"
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42',Cat 525
11 REPLIES 11

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
i want to update our situation:
winguard sent a new lnb, it was replaced but didn't help us.
we then replaced the coax cable and now we have our satellite working again!
it was an inexpensive and fairly easy fix...the hardest part was diagnosing.as frustrating as this whole thing was, i do want to say a huge thanks to everyone who posted a response but most importantly, to DENNIS12 who contacted me personally and took the time to help...thanks to this group and to Dennis for sharing !!!!!
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried doing the Calibrate EL routine? If not, do that now.
What messages do you see in the controller duriLng the search routine? Have you checked the voltage on your Power Inserter (PI-25)? Is it possible you have this setup with an A/B switch or similar? Have you checked all the various coax connections to verify nothing is loose? There are 3 just between the receiver and the Power Inserter.
Let us know how the Calibrate EL routine goes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Read my post about how much luck I have had with Winegard. IMHO the Travler is overpriced junk with sketchy quality components. A 1500 dollar dish should last far longer than 5 years of limited use.

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
it's a travlr sk-swm3. it was installed in march of this year. i tried to manually find sat 101 and even that didn't work. i've had service as far as western newfoundland it actually stopped working as we got closer to the states! now we've tried it in maine, massachusetts and connecticut...still no luck.
unfortunately, winegard seems noncommittal. i convinced (begged?) them to send an lnb...that was 3 days ago and i still haven't even gotten a tracking number. i don't have much hope that it will work...
when we try it, it seems to want to keep facing toward the back of the motor home (regardless of direction we face the motor home), as if it want to go to the home position.
i've tried putting it on and resetting my directv hd receiver model hr24-500 (...still no good.
i hope this answered all the questions and gives all the info you guys asked for
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
So, bottom line, it could be either the receiver OR the antenna and the only way to check the antenna is to send it back at your expense for Winegard to check it
----------------------------------
How hard can it be to connect the receiver to a tripod dish, and KNOW if its a dome or receiver problem before sending it in ? Maybe that's too simple !!

And if my dome gives me a problem for any reason, I use the tripod,....duh ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should also add that if this is a Trav'ler and the view to the 101 satellite is blocked (even a small branch) the Trav'ler will not lock.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have a strong 12 volts powering it.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
notlost wrote:
i've had the dish for 6 months. it worked fine until the other day. now it just keeps searching...we've moved to 3 different locations, weather is clear, no obstructions, etc..
went on roof to physically check and no problems. sent photos to windegard and they don't see any problems either...

has anyone had this problem? please help..i'm missing having TV

What kind of antenna. SWM dish does not answer that question. Trav'ler? Dome? What receiver? How long since you last successfully connected using that specific receiver? Any more details? What part of the Country?

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue and took it to CW in Winchester Va. They said that one of the wires going to the LNB's was broken. They switched the wires up at the dish and it worked. It was under warranty and Wine guard sent in a new one but I used it that way for a month. I went back and they installed the new one.
Dennis Hoppert

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of issues with Winegard junk. Mine is Dead, reporting no LNB voltage. Winegard only wants me to send it back, 300 dollars in freight plus repairs. Yea right. This is my second and last Winegard junk. Poor customer service, poor product that do not stand up for more than a few years.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, had the same problem or like it.

Winegard mid sized White Roof dome.. sorry, I know know the model or what you have.

I thought it was the DISH receiver, 211k and went back and forth with DISH using 4 different Wally receivers, didn't work.

Finally, took it into a Sat Service, Quartzsite, AZ, and it was determined that the Winegard Antenna was the culprit, everything else was tested. Sigh, Had to remove from roof and send the antenna back to Winegard, at my expense, big box, whole unit, for them to inspect under warranty.

after about 10-days got it back and works as it should since then with the DISH 211k not the Wally..

So, bottom line, it could be either the receiver OR the antenna and the only way to check the antenna is to send it back at your expense for Winegard to check it.

Wasn't a Happy Camper on that one.. the only other choice I had was to get the Smaller, Black, Winegard antenna or the Bigger one $1500 gray ones that the "Big Boys" use..

Also, FYI, on mine, I had two antenna outputs. I found, during this 6-month period, that I could switch the cable to the 2nd one and I'd at least get some SD stations, not HD...
That might get you at least connected till you are able to get it all sorted out..
And, No, Winegard didn't bother to explain what it was..

Good luck..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website