Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Ranger 6.6.2 is in the wild!

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
:B
WiFi Ranger has released 6.6.2 firmware into the wild. The update is being rolled out in waves so you might need to "Check for Updates" a few times over the next several days to install the new version.

I assisted with the alpha and beta testing and it is way more stable with several user interface improvements. Enjoy!
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret
16 REPLIES 16

docj
Explorer
Explorer
bigcitypopo wrote:

If you use the "Go" and "Mobile".. will the "Go" see the "Mobile" as an antenna and handle/manage power requirements to get a good connection.

Yes, once the Go and Mobile are "paired" the Mobile is essentially slaved to the Go and all functions can be managed from a single on-screen control panel.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
Paul... How much you want for it? ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you use the "Go" and "Mobile".. will the "Go" see the "Mobile" as an antenna and handle/manage power requirements to get a good connection.

I've used the cradle-point at work with our huge command post vehicles.. It doesn't always want to manage the cell modems efficiently. I guess it goes without saying that not all tech works all the time.

I like the "Solution" of the wifiranger....
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

docj
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
Evan and Brian spent a lot of time on my issues. Firmware updates were forced in, pre-release software was loaded on, setting changed and tweaked for a number of days on end.

When I finally was able to get my iOS devices connected, I found the GO's SSID broadcast to be cycling off and on every 5 - 10 minutes. The whole unit was not rebooting, but the wifi would simply disappear for 10-20sec then reappear.

By the time I gave up, every possible feature of the WFR was disabled and the unit was in full manual mode. I had to manually manage my connections and found myself spending way too much time doing so, only to have the SSID disappear every few minutes.

So, in the closet it went and there it will stay for the time being. Everything the WFR SHOULD DO, makes it oh so promising and attractive.
Maybe someday, it will actually deliver on those promises. Right now, in my view, it is still be the BETA test mode and should be sold as such.

I've had my Cradlepoint MBR1400 up and running for over 3 weeks now. After a half hour to initially configure it, I have not touched it since.............

I know you are a WFR Ambassador, but for me....... the product just is not ready from prime time. ๐Ÿ˜ž

docj wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
After struggling mightily with the WFR GO for many months, my advice would be to spend some extra $$$$ and buya Cradlepoint MBR1400. It will do more than you'll ever need, but it does it perfectly, without the need to tinker and struggle to keep a good internet connection!

My GO is in a box in the closet. I'm not sure why, but I can't bring myself to put it in the dumpster.

We're sorry you're having problems with your WiFi Ranger Go. Have you attempted to get help from the support team?

If you could be more specific as to what your issues are, we would be happy to assist. There have been several recent firmware updates which have improved overall performance markedly. If your Go is unable to handle the update we are replacing all units, regardless of warranty status, with updated models.

Please let me know what we can do to help you.

Paul:

I believe it was subsequent to your problems, that WFR identified the cause of some customer issues as defective/counterfeit chips used in hardware manufactured by their OEM supplier during a particular period of time. The defective chips are unable to accept the update to the 6.6.2+ software. This is why WFR has offered to exchange any units that cannot be successfully updated to the 6.6.3 firmware regardless of their warranty status.

Even though you are no longer using your WFR Go I suggest you have them send you a replacement along with a return label for the old one. At least that way you will end up with functioning hardware that you can put to use or give to a friend.

I would hate for you to continue to think that WFR products are not reliable. At the moment my Go/Mobile combination has been operating for 13 days without any need to reboot. The current 6.6.3 firmware is a substantial improvement over the previous versions.

Joel
Sandie & Joel

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Evan and Brian spent a lot of time on my issues. Firmware updates were forced in, pre-release software was loaded on, setting changed and tweaked for a number of days on end.

When I finally was able to get my iOS devices connected, I found the GO's SSID broadcast to be cycling off and on every 5 - 10 minutes. The whole unit was not rebooting, but the wifi would simply disappear for 10-20sec then reappear.

By the time I gave up, every possible feature of the WFR was disabled and the unit was in full manual mode. I had to manually manage my connections and found myself spending way too much time doing so, only to have the SSID disappear every few minutes.

So, in the closet it went and there it will stay for the time being. Everything the WFR SHOULD DO, makes it oh so promising and attractive.
Maybe someday, it will actually deliver on those promises. Right now, in my view, it is still be the BETA test mode and should be sold as such.

I've had my Cradlepoint MBR1400 up and running for over 3 weeks now. After a half hour to initially configure it, I have not touched it since.............

I know you are a WFR Ambassador, but for me....... the product just is not ready from prime time. ๐Ÿ˜ž

docj wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
After struggling mightily with the WFR GO for many months, my advice would be to spend some extra $$$$ and buya Cradlepoint MBR1400. It will do more than you'll ever need, but it does it perfectly, without the need to tinker and struggle to keep a good internet connection!

My GO is in a box in the closet. I'm not sure why, but I can't bring myself to put it in the dumpster.

We're sorry you're having problems with your WiFi Ranger Go. Have you attempted to get help from the support team?

If you could be more specific as to what your issues are, we would be happy to assist. There have been several recent firmware updates which have improved overall performance markedly. If your Go is unable to handle the update we are replacing all units, regardless of warranty status, with updated models.

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

docj
Explorer
Explorer
bigcitypopo wrote:
I am computer savy, sooo this stuff doesnt scare me so to speak.

I use a mac, is the interface for settings web based?
Does the unit power up on its own and point your computer to the website so it can be configured? The WFR's control panel is accessed through whatever browser you choose to use. It doesn't matter whether you have a Mac or a pc.

how many devices will the ranger communicate with. I am looking at the mobile. not the go. I think the maximum number is probably 16, I have eight connected to mine at the moment.

I have a brand new trailer. I want this thing setup for years to come. I don't want to buy things twice. Firmware updates are handled through "the Cloud". All previously sold models can be updated to the latest software. In fact, the company has offered to replace some older units that had problems with the most recent update, irrespective of warranty status.

I am considering using the roof mount, screw the thing down near the fridge vent and fur-get 'bout it. or is it better to use the ladder rack, antennae jobber...The roof-mounted unit has more power and an external antenna so you can't make a direct comparison with any of the indoor models. Many people own both particularly if they have devices in their RVs that need to connect to a router via Ethernet cable (for example, some DirecTV receivers, game consoles, etc.)
Sandie & Joel

docj
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:

Sandie & Joel

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I am computer savy, sooo this stuff doesnt scare me so to speak.

I use a mac, is the interface for settings web based?
Does the unit power up on its own and point your computer to the website so it can be configured?

how many devices will the ranger communicate with. I am looking at the mobile. not the go.

I have a brand new trailer. I want this thing setup for years to come. I don't want to buy things twice.

I am considering using the roof mount, screw the thing down near the fridge vent and fur-get 'bout it. or is it better to use the ladder rack, antennae jobber...

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I am seriously looking at one o these units... Do they work as described? Reliable?

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
I had a WiFi Ranger Sky and it failed when their Tech Support tried to update it. True to their word, they replaced the unit. Works great now with the latest firmware.

Kudos to WiFi Ranger... for great Customer Support
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

docj
Explorer
Explorer
dchaney wrote:
I just tried to install the 6.6.3 upgrade over 6.6.2 and it killed my WifiRanger.

WiFi Ranger is aware that some of its devices are failing during the update because of issues relating to the chips on the circuit board that were not designed as specified.

WiFiRanger management has announced that any device which fails as a result of the update will be replaced by a working unit, regardless of the warranty status of the failed device.

Anyone who has a WFR system that has failed can PM me with you device's WiFiRanger ID# (starts with 77) and your email contact information and I will forward them to WFR Customer Service. You can also send the information yourself, directly to WFR.
Sandie & Joel

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I will be home next week and will send the device ID's.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
I have 2 original WiFi Rangers. I am not a guru either but a simple update shouldn't require and Masters in Computer Science. After trying to update the firmware back in December, they are now both junk. Can't get them to do anything, and can't locate them with the the WiFi Ranger control Panel.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your Ranger. Have you tried accessing the Control Panel with an Ethernet cable? If the system reset itself to factory defaults it would have reset the wifi passwords as well.

With the updated software, a factory reset can be forced by rebooting the device three times in rapid succession so that's another thing you can try if nothing else helps.

If you PM me the Ranger ID for your devices (it begins with a "77") I will let the folks at WiFi Ranger know of your problems. Have you contacted them? Quite often they can access the devices remotely and resolve problems.
Sandie & Joel

dchaney
Explorer
Explorer
I just tried to install the 6.6.3 upgrade over 6.6.2 and it killed my WifiRanger.

Doug