cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wifi a long way away from RV site.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of campgrounds and RV parks have "wifi at the office" but not in the park. Is there a long range receiver, booster, or antenna that allows one to get the signal from a campsite?

15 years ago, I bought a range extender that actually did this. It worked great until 5G came out and security protocols changed. I just did several online searches for wifi extenders, boosters, and antennas, and, all I can find are products that allow one to TRANSMIT wifi further. I want to RECEIVE wifi from further away from the source.

Can you recommend anything???
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm
14 REPLIES 14

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
Wifi adapters is often waste of money from my experience. We always carried them around and it never worked properly. In one of the campsite i had to finish a big project but without a good internet connection it wasn't even possible. AT the end i found paper writing company https://domypaper.com/, who did the job for me. At the end i was actually happy that i can enjoy my vacation and not to spend time in front of my computer.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I made one years ago with one of those add on WiFi thumb drive WiFi adapters and an old collapsable colander for a reflector.

Jim...

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I realize that it's 5Ghz in Wi-Fi, but anybody who truncates that to 5G is just asking for misinterpretation.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
5G and wifi are not related in any way.

Well, there are some terms between celular and wifi that are similar and perhaps adding confusion. 802.11 does define both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies. So there technically is a 5G wifi protocol which is 802.11AC. 5G in cellar means fifth generation while Wifi means gigaherz. As you said, the are not related in any way.

So a wifi extender from 10 years ago or tomorrow for 2.4g or 5g should still work today.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pringles can antenna? It's a real thing.

5G and wifi are not related in any way.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
DancinCampers wrote:
I have the system in this thread

David Bott Tutorial

I haven't used it for the past several years because we have had good coverage on our Visible and Verizon phones. But it did work well when I used it. I mounted it on a PVC pole I bungeed to the ladder on the back of the coach. I could point it toward the access point, the ethernet cable ran inside to the wifi and power supply. Mine was only for 2ghz, but I think the new models are also 5ghz.

David Bott's website which has updates.
https://www.outsideourbubble.com/secure-private-rv-wi-fi-and-making-a-better-park-connection-for-under-100/

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
I use a CampPro Wifi extender from Amazon and clamp it to the edge of the slide and the cable from the antenna runs thru the rubber of the slide to the router inside. It picks up free Wifi signals in the area you can tap into. You set up a password for your router. It has been working well so far.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is there a long range Wi-Fi Adapter

Why yes. there is
Ubiquiti has Many long range Devices.. I had a Nano Station loco M2. But the larger one is even better than they have some DISH units.. LIke a sat dish but for Wi-Fi

Also there is a video pod cast Amateurlogic.tv Episode 3 they built a directional Wi-Fi client based on a Linksys WGA ( made it it works.. Sometimes, more on that later) And later they married it to a genuine Sat Dish for even greater range.

The problem with "Sometimes" is my WGA-54G is a very old device and the modern Security protocols it does not understand.. But work it does. Bigly.

The nano station outperformed it however.

Here is the web site https://ui.com/wi-fi

Google will find you dealers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And CG WiFi often has limited or no password protection so anyone can see your information.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As cell phone data and tethering has gotten cheaper, I suspect the demand for these devices has dropped off.

That said, we've noticed over the last few years that campground wifi has gotten much better (or maybe so few are using it that there's enough bandwidth to get better performance).

That said, we switched to starlink and now we don't have to bother with wifi. We can check that there is a clear view of the sky (and even some marginal sites it's worked pretty well) and we have high speed internet.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the system in this thread

David Bott Tutorial

I haven't used it for the past several years because we have had good coverage on our Visible and Verizon phones. But it did work well when I used it. I mounted it on a PVC pole I bungeed to the ladder on the back of the coach. I could point it toward the access point, the ethernet cable ran inside to the wifi and power supply. Mine was only for 2ghz, but I think the new models are also 5ghz.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
In the time before tethering from a phone worked well, I used the Alfa network adapters. Usually purchased from Ebay suppliers. Not only do these run a transmit power that is multiple of what ever, but the receiver sides are equally as good and I have some high gain antennas that can be aimed at the source.
I still use them sometimes if I get in a position that I don't want to burn phone data.
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
5g cellular and WiFi are not related in any way. There are antennas that will help boost the incoming signal and amplify the out going but it still won't help if the campground service is overloaded as usual.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend planning for your own internet and not rely of any public or park. Cell phone, cellular hot spot, or even satellite are the typical solutions.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)