cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UPnP

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a camera setup for remote viewing using a DDNS service, WIFI and port forwarding.

My son set it up and has since moved I was planning to buy a remote thermostat and wondered if I could just use UPnP for cameras and tstat it (UPnP) appears to be easier to set up than port forwarding and something I think I could do myself.

I guess my question is UPnP easy to set up? Camera manufacture recommends UPnP if you are not familiar with port forwarding.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport
11 REPLIES 11

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to TheAKbear for the UPnP info that is what I am looking for.

When I read the thermostat instructions they said make sure your router will give an IP address so I assumed this meant you have to be set up for UPnP.

Right now my router is configured for port forwarding and the DVR is connected to the router directly through the Ethernet cable, the thermostat will be through the WIFI and remote access will be through Honeywell's cloud.

So I assume I will be OK without having to change the DVR to UPnP and the router will provide the IP address to the thermostat by WIFI.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

TheBearAK
Explorer
Explorer
Basically what UPnP in the router does is accept messages from LAN devices that can modify the Network Address Translation for Port forwarding.

The LAN device has to support this. While XBOX Live can be done without it, it is far easier to do it with UPnP on.

Why turn it off at all then if it makes your life easier?
Simply security. It is possible that a computer browsing to a website can set up a UPnP port forward back into that computer without you knowing it.
What is the actual risk? Depends on how much caution you use going to websites you are not familiar with. Sites like Facebook are not a risk, but Facebook Apps and Games increase the risk, for example.

It is important to note that your computer or device must initiate the connection to the outside world and often times actually connect to the remote site before the UPnP Port forward will actually be put in place. These port forwards are stored in temp memory and when the router is power cycled, it starts all over again with a blank UPnP table.

Kart-Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Sadly all of them seem to want a yearly fee ($50 per year) to establish the connection (although that is much less than a customary live monitored alarm system which is at least $100 per month) ..

I use this thermostat from Honeywell
It can be accessed via computer, or a smartphone app. It access via Honeywells Total Connect website.
No fees, very easy to setup

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I did not explain exactly what I"m trying to do.

I have a DVR with cameras set up using port forwarding for remote access and it works just fine.

What I wanted to know is can I change to PnP and add another device in this case a thermostat with remote control.

Someone else set up the port forwarding on the DVR I don't know how.

The instructions in the DVR set up was to use PnP if you did not know how to set up port forwarding.

My question would this work (using PPnP)with "both" devices for remote access?
my understanding is PnP assigns addresses and such so it's all automatic.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:
Are you talking about UPnP? Universal Plug and Play? I *think* you will still need to forward a port or poke a hole on the firewall for it, as I do not think UPnP items are exposed to the Internet (wan) by default (I hope!).

That would be my thought..

Unless the device has a built in " web server" or webpage I would think you would need some sort of server (IE software) that would have to have a specific port open through the router firewall.

From what I have gathered from looking around at most IP T-stats they are using an external website supplied by the manufacturer of the T-stat in order to provide a webpage or app which would connect you to your T-stat remotely (outside of your in house WiFi).

Sadly all of them seem to want a yearly fee ($50 per year) to establish the connection (although that is much less than a customary live monitored alarm system which is at least $100 per month) ..

Not to mention your T-stat connection would be only as good as long as the manufacturer is in business or is willing to provide the service..

But I am sure it can be done for free if one digs enough or designs their own web server connection..

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about UPnP? Universal Plug and Play? I *think* you will still need to forward a port or poke a hole on the firewall for it, as I do not think UPnP items are exposed to the Internet (wan) by default (I hope!).
-- Chris Bryant

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Just how do you know that the furnace hasn't failed?

My alarm system has a low temperature alert: 4C.

In fact, due to extreme cold a month ago, the exhaust port from the furnace got blocked with frozen condensation and the furnace shut down. The alarm company called my contact who (after a bunch of futzing around) knocked the ice off and all was well.

YOU have a "monitored" alarm system, not EVERYONE has one nor wants to PAY for this type of service (as you know 24/7/365 "monitoring" does not come cheap, requires considerable installation (and costs up front) along with a hefty monthly fee). It is the "easy" way out for someone who doesn't mind handing out a lot of money..

Hence the idea of Internet aware "appliances" such as a remote IP T-stat.

The days of those live monitoring systems like you have are numbered and will become less common due to advancements with Internet aware appliances such as newer IP T-stats, IP cameras and even whole house automation and alarm systems which are DIRECTLY able to alert you to problems by contacting your cell phone. IP Internet systems can do anything a live monitored system does but cuts out the expensive middleman...

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:

My alarm system has a low temperature alert: 4C.

In fact, due to extreme cold a month ago, the exhaust port from the furnace got blocked with frozen condensation and the furnace shut down. The alarm company called my contact who (after a bunch of futzing around) knocked the ice off and all was well.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Aim your camera at a thermometer.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
I leave my thermostat set on 8C all winter. No need to remote it.

AHHH..

Remote capability is not really all about changing the temp up or down while far, far away. It can be used to check to see if your furnace is functioning properly.

If the temp falls below your set point more than a few degrees then you know to send someone to your house to check the furnace.

Pretty smart idea.

Now days newer furnaces have a lot of sensors, and safety items which at the worst time can fail. If it fails while you are hundreds of miles away for several weeks you can and most likely will have some very expensive water related repairs to take care of.

As far as the OPs question, I can't hazard a guess but sounds interesting though...

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I leave my thermostat set on 8C all winter. No need to remote it.