cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Antenna Booster - Jack Antenna

deejay41
Explorer
Explorer
I have just switched my old batwing antenna for a new Jack digital antenna, and I only have one single coax leading from the existing winegard booster, to the jack antenna.
I am not getting any tv signal from the Jack antenna, and I am wondering if it may not be getting any power from the booster.

My question is, should I be reading a voltage from the coax that is coming out of the winegard booster, going to the Jack antenna.
I tested the coax coming out of the booster, and read a zero voltage.
If so, could this be a bad booster box?
The instructions that came with the Jack antenna said that you could use your existing booster box, or use the one provided with the Jack antenna. But NOT both.

Any thoughts??
US Air Force (retired)
Tiffin Allegro Bus Class A
Cat Diesel Pusher
Blue Ox Aventa 2 w/ Brake Buddy
Dodge Dakota - Toad

Have Dogs-Will Travel
16 REPLIES 16

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of different configurations, but most common is:
-- Chris Bryant

deejay41
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Will try that and let you know.

DJ
US Air Force (retired)
Cat Diesel Pusher
Dodge Dakota - Toad

Have Dogs-Will Travel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, you connected to the wrong port. The front should not have power.
You need to connect to the terminal coming from the circuit board which is labeled ANT just above that connection.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

deejay41
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.
I did hook up a short piece of coax to the output jack on the front of the winegard power supply/booster, and I do not read "any" voltage out, when the green light is lit. I measured the voltage with the red lead on the center pin, and the black on the outer ring.
Could this mean that the power supply is bad??

I will also try running a temporary cable out the window, to the jack antenna to see if that works.
If no power, would this indicate a bad power supply?

Thanks
US Air Force (retired)
Cat Diesel Pusher
Dodge Dakota - Toad

Have Dogs-Will Travel

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deejay, your setup on the wall sounds just like mine and my Jack works perfectly. If the Green light comes on it has power.

If the red light on the Jack is not lit, it is Hard to see in daylight, then I would say you are not getting power all the way up to the amp in the Jack.

I had a bit of the same problem at first, but after cleaning and making sure that all connections were clean, I used a good contact cleaner, and tight It worked perfect.

I am not a techie like the others, so when this happened I used the old try something else method....I took a known to be good coax, hooked it to the wall plug ran it out the window to the Jack and it worked, I then knew that it was the coax, after cleaning and tightening all was good. I Do My Best Work By Accident....
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Winegard wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
You may (or may not) have bad termnology..
I understand that in some cases the wall plate module really is a booster, This unit is not compatable with the JACK antenna unless the wall module is a Sensar Pro.

In most cases the wall unit is only a power supply and should provide near battery voltage to the Jack

So will the Sensar Pro wall module.

While frequently called a booster, that's just not the case unless you go back to the early 90's. The wall plate is a power supply and is fully compatible with the Jack. The Sensar Pro is also a power supply with a secondary amplifier but has nothing at all to do with compatibility.

That is exactly what I thought I was saying.

The wall plate is a combination switch (Selects cable or Ant) and power supply for the booster which is INSIDE the antenna.

The Sensar Pro (Which I have and use) includes a second booster amp, but as you noted, that does not affect the rooftop operatonin (I simply said it would work).

I might add, the Batwing, with wingman and sensar pro is one dang hard to beat combination.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DeeJay,
The wall plate you have is a Winegard and you have power to it so you are done there. Please read my first response above so you can decide if you have a connection, cabling or power supply problem.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

deejay41
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my wall mounted winegard power supply/booster, and I was unable to find any numbers on it at all. I took it off the wall, and I couldn't find any numbers on the back side.
The only thing on the back was several coax connectors, a small circuit board, and the power wires.

Also, on the front, is a small on/off switch, and the green light comes on when it is activated.
I have not been able to measure any voltage from the output coax on the front, and the green light is on, so I assume power is getting to the supply itself.
I would also rule out the fuse issue, since there is power on the green light. Could this power supply/booster unit be bad?

Also, Does it sound like this type power supply would power the Jack antenna, or would I need to replace it with a different type?
There is also a red LED up on the Jack antenna head that is supposed to light if it is powered up, but apparently there is no power getting to it.
Other thoughts??
US Air Force (retired)
Cat Diesel Pusher
Dodge Dakota - Toad

Have Dogs-Will Travel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use the Winegard power supply when you are just replacing the Batwing head with a Jack head.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My particular Jack Ant. paperwork said in several places that you MUST use their wall plate and that you CANNOT use the old one.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I understand that in some cases the wall plate module really is a booster, This unit is not compatable with the JACK antenna unless the wall module is a Sensar Pro.

In most cases the wall unit is only a power supply and should provide near battery voltage to the Jack

While frequently called a booster, that's just not the case unless you go back to the early 90's. The wall plate is a power supply and is fully compatible with the Jack. The Sensar Pro is also a power supply with a secondary amplifier but has nothing at all to do with compatibility.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it look likeThis
If so it has a poly switch in it that will shut down for 2 minutes if there is a short and the Green light wont come on.

This PDF may help in trouble shooting the problem.

Wineguard power supply

I hooked my Jack up to it and had no problem with it as long as the green light was on.

You have to remember with the new signals that are put out now you wont get snowy picture when you are close to the signal, like the old days, just a blank or blue screen, it is all or nothing.

I had to point it toward the signal and put my TV on auto scan each time I moved location, it has worked 10 times than my old Bat Wing.

Hope This helps.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Post the part number of the wall unit. There are two type. One that only has a push button and sends up 12VDC to power-up a pre-amp that is located in the head of the roof mounted antenna.

There is also a model that has the preamp located in the wall panel to use for roof mounted antennas that do not have a preamp installed in their base...

I don't have the part number on the tip of my tongue haha...

NOTE: just looked up some numbers.. I think the most popular are the WINEGARD RV7012 for the NON-AMPLIFIED WALL PLATE and the WINEGARD RA7296 for the AMPLIFIED WALL PLATE. They look identical from the outside

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times