cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those who have 3G flashed hot spots for $5.00 a month

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
How well do they work? Can you stream music fairly well, How about movies? Do you use it mainly for web surfing?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980
7 REPLIES 7

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
This topic has been beaten to death in the past. There has been a lot of discussion about a vendor named Travis of Mobile xxxx (company name not mentioned because moderator will delete it). I purchased my first device from Travis and like many others it turned into a major headache. The hotspot worked fine for 6 weeks when the service quit. I received a full refund from PayPal after filing a dispute. Travis has dropped out of sight for a few months now. Here's a link to one of the threads:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29097126/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

I purchased my second device from DR Wireless and it has worked great for six months.

Do a search on eBay for "unlimited 3g" to find sellers.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Hmm.. sounds illegal.

Actually NO.. "Flashed" means a couple of things, one is that the software has been updated to the latest edition.

JAILED: means that the device only works on one carrier.. Now that is illegal. FCC adopted new rules outlawing Jailing phones et-al last year.

Finally.. I'd like to know more abut where does one get one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mine works flawlessly. Get about 2.4MBps 3G down in DC. Takes less than 1 minute a month to get $5. refill by Ebay Verizon reseller who applies it directly to the MiFi phone number. No wasted time.

BTW, I did not use the recommended Verizon refill dealer from the MiFi seller. Never got a response from purchased refill cards using PayPal, and required additional step of calling the pin in to Verizon. The aforementioned was a lot easier.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Thx Roy
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
my VERIZON NOVATEL MIFI 2200 2G/3G box does not do well at all for streaming... Only good for checking into the internet using VERIZON, chatting with the kids and paying a few bills,,,

Google image

Slows down big time here at the house using VERIZON doing a movie even tho the signal is strong. Very slow throughput... I think this is suppose to be a 3G connections here where I live - My cellphone has the 3G symbol always on... maybe it is idling back to 2G mode for some reason...

People that uses the Verizon JETPACKS doesnt seem to have this problem...

google image

Never tried to downstream anything on the road with it. My dataplan is only a 3G monthly dataplan anyway... I hear one movie will eat up around 1GB of data...

I have never run out of data just doing what I mentioned above on our trips...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our flashed Jetpack worked fine in testing for video streaming at all but the highest resolutions. As with any cell service, tower congestion can make a difference though. Since we also have an AT&T 250GB 4G/LTE $60/mo plan with unlimited phone service and will soon put an AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE $20/mo plan in service, we only keep the unlimited Verizon 3G Jetpack active as a backup source.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm.. sounds illegal.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman