cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temptation to Buy a Chromebook

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
The last thing I need is another computer. I already have a Toshiba laptop (Windows 10), a fairly new iPad with keyboard & mouse plus an RCA Viking pro tablet with detachable keyboard (android), all in excellent operating condition. So, obviously Iโ€™m all set as far as digital equipment goes.

Since I like experimenting with technology, Iโ€™ve been considering picking up an inexpensive Chromebook just because itโ€™s a new operating system to โ€œplayโ€ with. If I actually did so, Iโ€™d look at devices between $100-200, very cheap compared to regular PC's. Iโ€™m normally pretty conservative, and try not to spend money needlessly. Although a few hundred $$ wouldnโ€™t break me, Iโ€™ve been resisting the urge to by a Chromebook for a few weeks (in fact, I almost ordered one today). But I then come to my senses, realizing that might be foolish. I know Iโ€™m not the only one who has been tempted to buy a device that is totally unneeded. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
26 REPLIES 26

srdeane
Explorer
Explorer
When my HP laptop died, I checked out Chromebooks. I realized I didn't need a lot of onboard memory because I have a limited range of functions I need. For less than $200 I got a Lenovo Chromeook. I pay $1.99 a month for cloud storage and am nowhere close to maxing out the lowest level of storage. It works fast, is small enough to be convenient and large enough for my old(er) eyes. The only frustration is that I had gotten used to Windows commands and functions. I'm still not fully conversant with the Chrome equivalents, but it's my own laziness.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a laptop with decent memory and an SSD, you will have many of the same benefits of a Chromebook, with few of the negatives. My new HP laptop with a 512 gig SSD boots up in less than 30 seconds and shuts down in 5. It operates very quickly, and is fairly light. Those spinning platter drives are pretty heavy compared to an SSD. I can't argue with the fact the Chromebooks are cheap, but my new 17.3 inch HP laptop with a 512 gig SSD and 1960 x 1080 resolution was less than $550.

My eyes aren't what they used to be and that large screen, for a laptop, makes it a lot easier to work with. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should have added that I am in our 5er right now, using a cell phone hotspot and that is all you need for a Chromebook.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This Chromebook never fails me.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am on a 4 year old Chromebook right now. Some people who don't understand them will say they are useless without an internet connection, but you can do word processing, spreadsheets etc. offline if you choose to. They do not have much storage space, but they are very fast. It is my computer of choice anymore, but I still have to use Win 10 at work or for video processing, ham radio logging etc. at home.

In defense of the Windows 10 computers, the one at work reminds me why I dislike Windows almost daily, but the one at home has a hybrid drive with the OS on the SSD, and it boots almost as fast as a Chromebook.

We even carry a spare Chromebook in our 5er in case something happens to one of our Chromebooks. I just boot it up a couple times a year to update the thing.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not concerned with startup speed since Iโ€™m never in that much of a rush.

One thing that had concerned me is that after about 5 years the CB stops getting updated. Thatโ€™s not too important since CBโ€™s are cheap enough to replace every 5 years.. Everything else Iโ€™ve read about them is pretty positive.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Windows 10 ASUS had an issue a while back and on a whim, I bought a Chromebook. Now I am pretty illiterate when it comes to operating systems and that sort of stuff, but I just could not figure out how to make it work or how to save anything of importance. My son has a Chromebook and loves it. I guess that is the biggest reason I bought it. Now it sits on a drawer on my desk doing nothing and useless to me.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to have a toshiba laptop (It's since died of old age) and when I got my first Chromebook I took both to a Denny's with high speed (5 gig router, cable internet) wi-fi. A one hour video downloads so fast at that eatery that you almost have time to get your finger off the mouse button (ok not quite that fast)

Well I hit the power button on both comptuers almost the same time. Now remember the CB has just been unwarpped so I need to connect to the router. then to my GOOGLE account. and I'm on line and browsing while the Tosh is still in POST. (Power On Self Test for those who do not know).

Advantage Windows machine> Lots of storage and application/programs that mangle er, manage information, word processor, spread sheet log books data bases and the like. also printer drivers.

Advantage Chromebook Clean, fast and well nearly every chroebook I've had at one time or another (I sometimes use them in places where I do not trust) has caught a virus or other mal-program.

POWER WASH and I'm back to new and in about 2 minutes (By new I mean re-connect to a DIFFERENT Wi-fi and Re-enter your GOOGLE credentials) then give it a few minutes to restore all your apps and bookmarks and stuff from the cloud.

So I am typing on a Windows box.... My own trusted wi-fi, firewalled, anti-viraled, and backed up like....well backed up.

To my right.. 2 chromebooks I sometimes go dine about with one of 'em
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Have been using a Chromebook now for 2 years. Instant on an super easy to use. Very light weight. Highly recommend that you get one.

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m on my second or third Chromebook. They are fast to boot up, easy to use, lightweight, and perfect for email and web surfing. Although Iโ€™ve read and watched dozens of tutorials, I still have not been able to connect mine to a network printer. It can be done, but apparently not by me. I bought my first one just to play with, but now Iโ€™m hooked. Go for it!
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The days of sitting in my chair with a laptop have been over for several years now. It's either a tablet or the trusty Chrome book and I've become fairly fond of the later. I went cheap too on the Chrome...but it's held up well.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Life is short..get the Chromebook!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad