cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starlink mobile satellite internet is coming this year

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Elon Musk announced on twitter that Starlink will be available for mobile applications later this year:

Yeah, should be fully mobile later this year, so you can move it anywhere or use it on an RV or truck in motion. We need a few more satellite launches to achieve compete coverage & some key software upgrades.

Here's an article with a few more details.

I'm on the waitlist for a home Starlink dish, and they said they may not ship until early 2022, so I'm a little skeptical that it will be widely available for mobile applications by then. I suspect they'll have a few "beta test" slots open for mobile users, with a broader rollout next year.
10 REPLIES 10

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
phil-t wrote:
And how will that work in campgrounds/boondocking with heavy tree cover?

You need a clear view of the northern sky.

There’s a Starlink app that can be used to check for field of vision.

I found that my unit needed “less sky” than I originally thought. However, if you’re parked under trees . . . read a book.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II

The reports I've seen say that it needs a much wider view of the sky than traditional sat service. But I have not been closely following since I taking the long term wait and see position.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sats are low earth orbit so location is constantly changing... like XM radio so trees will be an issue.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
phil-t wrote:

I'd guess that it'll be just like satellite TV -- the campers that want reliable satellite internet will make compromises on site selection and where they camp to ensure they have a clear view of the sky and good internet. (though it's a little easier with satellite TV since the satellites are stationary, so you only need a clear view to the south(ish)).

I'd bet that most RV'ers are not in that camp (no pun intended) where they are willing to choose a less ideal location to optimize internet, it's mostly the people that are trying to work full-time while on the road that also require fast, low latency internet. Cell based internet (which will become faster and hopefully cheaper as 5G rolls out) will suffice for most people that just want to check email and do some light web browsing.

For me personally, there are only certain weeks when I'm on call and need to have reliable internet access, so that's the only time I need to make sure I have good internet.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Allegro 36LA

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
I am encouraged and expect Elon will do better than the cell folks or the cable folks. He is on target to launch the necessary number of satellites and even the home antenna is already self-seeking. It should be almost a no-brainer to make the service mobile (not in motion but available at various fixed locations.
Leave it to Winegard or some other manufacturer to make an antenna capable of in-motion reception!

Did you read the article? To quote Elon Musk: "Yeah, should be fully mobile later this year, so you can move it anywhere or use it on an RV or truck in motion." (emphasis added)
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I am encouraged and expect Elon will do better than the cell folks or the cable folks. He is on target to launch the necessary number of satellites and even the home antenna is already self-seeking. It should be almost a no-brainer to make the service mobile (not in motion but available at various fixed locations.
Leave it to Winegard or some other manufacturer to make an antenna capable of in-motion reception!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
We will see!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still waiting for the Cyber Truck to be produced.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Someone promised us cable years ago and our neighborhood hasn't seen that yet. Then they said we will all have cell service, well not here yet.