Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sattelite Dish Recommendations???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I am looking to get a satellite dish for use with my 5th wheel. We are looking to live full time out of it for about a year. I know very little about this topic.

Any recommendations or advice?

I have been looking on the Campingworld site and they have a good deal going on Dish systems that include a Walley box for free. I assume I would also need a tripod.

It seems there are many options in the $300 range. The Tailgater seems to get good reviews. What do you recommend?

thanks
Matt
24 REPLIES 24

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
We have used a tailgater for several years and found it to be very reliable and easy to use. We also have unlimited cell data, and we often stream video.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

QUESTION: Does the Wally recognize the Travler and give you the east west menu?

The Dish version of the Trav'ler operates independently of the receiver, and only aligns with the Dish western arc sats. The Wally sees it as a standard 1000.2 residential triple LNB/dish.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
$2,000!!!! Holy moly 2X.

The TV business is changing at a rapid pace. I got a new Internet TV package offer in the mail from Spectrum yesterday. I was on Sling TV last month. I just switched to DirecTV Now. These new packages are cheap, but they're not satellite. They use the Internet to connect to TV networks. I am flexible enough on my TV watching that I won't need to pay $2,000 plus $100 per month. I can live with cell-based Internet signals (where possible) plus OTA antenna (where possible) for now. They are getting better every year. But if you want and can afford the other that's fine by me.

Things are changing but cellular data is not changing fast enough to make it affordable as an option for mobile TV viewing. DirecTV Now is great but how are you going to pay for all of that data when you are away from home and that unlimited data your S&B Spectrum provides?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
WiFi tv is not viable for most campgrounds. Even those with WiFi.

We prefer state parks (none which have WiFi) and can rarely use the dome because of trees.

I always use the Pathway as the sat box recognizes it and gives you the menu.

QUESTION: Does the Wally recognize the Travler and give you the east west menu?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
$2,000!!!! Holy moly 2X.

The TV business is changing at a rapid pace. I got a new Internet TV package offer in the mail from Spectrum yesterday . . . They use the Internet to connect to TV networks.

If you do your own install, that $2k is more like $1200 for DISH and $1500 for DirecTV.

TV via internet? Great for your S&B, but not likely on the road RVing.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Since DTV put the beeps back in its HD receivers, aiming is a *whole* lot easier.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We get every channel (including HD and locals) we subscribe to at home on 2 VIP receivers while RVing and for well under $300 since we point our own satellite antenna mounted on a tripod. For the past couple of decades we always acquired the same satellite antenna we had mounted at home for cheap or free as many people or installers just discard them. We used a home made stand for years but picked up a tripod not too long ago that stores and sets up easier, using just a dollar store compass we are up and running in just a few minutes with most of the process involving uncoiling coax and making sure tripod mast is plumb.

Since we do most of our RVing from Texas and west to the pacific coast only minor adjustments to the satellite antenna parameters are needed, I always set up my new satellite equipment at home first, it's been years since I've had to look up parameters for a new location since their deviation is slight even several hundreds of miles from home. I believe that is where a lot of the frustration comes from when satellites are not readily being locked in, too much tampering with parameters when most issues involve coax cabling and/or poor connection points. Maybe on our next new rig we will have the Winegard Travler installed as part of the deal.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Here are the various Dish hardware options. Most for far less than $2,000 and will work fine for you. And in HD.

And the various programming packages.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You do realize your monthly subscription could be in the $100 range?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
bowler1 wrote:
Thanks for your help on this. I will be moving so it will not be in a fixed location. I am not looking to mount it on my roof. Being able to watch different channels on multiple TVs would be nice, but not if it is going to cost $2k. I am looking to get whatever is the best setup for $500 or less.

Maqtt

For $500 you can get a Playmaker duel with 2 Wallys bundle. HOWEVER, the Playmaker antenna works with western arc satellites only which will make it very difficult for you to get good reception in your New England area. For only $150 more, you can get a Pathway X2 antenna with 2 Wally bundle which works with both eastern and western arc satellites and will give you very good reception in your area. If you want to save some money, I recommend starting out with a single Wally and a Pathway X2 - you can always add the second Wally later.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
$2,000!!!! Holy moly 2X.

The TV business is changing at a rapid pace. I got a new Internet TV package offer in the mail from Spectrum yesterday. I was on Sling TV last month. I just switched to DirecTV Now. These new packages are cheap, but they're not satellite. They use the Internet to connect to TV networks. I am flexible enough on my TV watching that I won't need to pay $2,000 plus $100 per month. I can live with cell-based Internet signals (where possible) plus OTA antenna (where possible) for now. They are getting better every year. But if you want and can afford the other that's fine by me.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Pathway X2 dish with the Wally. Go to Dish for my RV and look at their packages. Keep in mind that trees block the signal so the larger the dish the better at pulling in signals.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go with a Winegard Pathway and DISH.

DISH has SIX sats: three on the eastern arc and three on the western arc.
Both in different areas of the sky.

The Pathway is the only carry out that lets you pick either one so you have a better chance of a signal when there are trees.

It also supports two receivers although the second box is limited to whatever sat the primary box is on.

No carry outs support HD on Directv.

I have had a Pathway for a few years now and couldnโ€™t be more pleased.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
bowler1 wrote:
Thanks for your help on this. I will be moving so it will not be in a fixed location. I am not looking to mount it on my roof. Being able to watch different channels on multiple TVs would be nice, but not if it is going to cost $2k. I am looking to get whatever is the best setup for $500 or less.

Maqtt

The "best" option for that kind of setup would be a DirecTV open faced antenna and a Genie receiver plus 1 client (plus a 2 year contract). However, that is not the most convenient so if you plan to move often and live the possibility of not getting separate programming on 2 TV "every single time" then your best option would be the Winegard Pathway X2 with DISH and 2 Wally receiver. You will still have full HD and you will be able to watch separate channels on different TV's most of the time but every now and then you will have a conflict. Either or both receivers can have a hard drive added so you could record programming but it's still just watch or record 1 channel on each TV and watch that programming on the one TV where it was recorded.
I think you could get that all done for around $500 but it might be a tad bit more. If you go with a tripod (DISH or DirecTV) you will be well under $500.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?