cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I made a prediction on January 2019 that satellite TV will be gone in 2 years, looks like I might be right..

Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers in 3 months and the CEO wants to still raise prices and lower the channels..

Better get yourself a good internet connection for your RV..

https://youtu.be/9b5_Pdmi3R4
164 REPLIES 164

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
I made a prediction on January 2019 that satellite TV will be gone in 2 years, looks like I might be right..

Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers in 3 months and the CEO wants to still raise prices and lower the channels..

Better get yourself a good internet connection for your RV..

Not sure why you felt like you needed to PM me about the incorrect information you are posting to the forum, but as I mentioned to you privately, I don't really care.
Check back with us in 2 years and you will find that we are all still getting service from DTV and DISH.
I doubt 5G will even be fully in place in 2 years but it will take 5G at a minimum to be able to fully utilize the services folks are "planning" to make available. However, by the time 5G rolls out our demand will be so high that it will become just as overloaded and everyone will be demanding 6G.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
I'll stick with Shaw Direct for now. I need live (OK, a few seconds of delay, but close enough for my needs) business channels on the road for market and commodity prices in real time. I don't record, and I'm not a prime time comedy/drama TV watcher, except sometimes years later long after the shows are canceled or retired. I also like maybe an occasional sports event live, and live news feeds as well. As far as I know, I can't get real time live channels online via streaming. Yet?

"Wrong" you can get live TV on streaming, even ESPN has gone streaming, streaming channels are growing daily, in fact many local news stations are now streaming and major news stations are streaming, I can be any where in the world and still watch 2 local news channels from Las Vegas where I live and they load new content hourly..

Best part is I don't have to be at the TV to see what is on the news at a certain time, when they upload the content it will be there for me to see at anytime.

Streaming is the new better cheaper way..

:C

Should have said, "I can't get the exact few channels I need on live stream yet.". Not without paying a fortune up here for what you get for $50/month. Then be able to "port" them south of the border with me when I'm out of country. (see my signature) We don't have "unlimited internet with international roaming" up here in our igloos yet. Might never have, if the CRTC allows our ISPs to run wild on us by over charging us for stuff. Our best plan is something like $50/month for up to 5 GB of data, with financially punitive overage charges. Add some roaming and I'm broke in a week of use. No idea what "G" that's at, either. Probably 3 or 4. Not exactly "unlimited", eh?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Jfondren3 wrote:
We stream everything and so far we have not had any issues watching any games streamed live as well. We really only pay for Netflix and everything else is free or I know where to find it for free. An internet connection is my only need. Luckily we try to disconnect as much as possible when we take the camper out.

X2

When I cut the cord over 2 years ago from Direct TV I was paying over a $1000 a year for junk channels, now I pay under $300 a Year for thousands and thousands of channels.

I to avoid TV when camping.

Jfondren3
Explorer
Explorer
We stream everything and so far we have not had any issues watching any games streamed live as well. We really only pay for Netflix and everything else is free or I know where to find it for free. An internet connection is my only need. Luckily we try to disconnect as much as possible when we take the camper out.
John

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:

As someone that has traveled extensively throughout the country, I can attest access to the internet isn't widely available in many areas, especially in areas where we tend to go camping.

Satellite TV will not stay open for just a few RV'ers and what few live outside internet service in rural areas..

If the trend continues at 250,000 or more dropping off every 3 months how long do you suppose they can keep there doors open..

I travel in many remote areas and have found internet in many areas, internet is growing monthly in areas there was no internet, its only a matter of time till satellite TV throws in the towel and realize the future for them is dead..

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I think the pending death of satellite TV is greatly exaggerated.

True, cable and satellite providers have lost cord-cutters customers that have migrated to the internet, but there are millions of people in this country that still have no access to high speed internet service and will continue to subscribe to satellite TV.

As someone that has traveled extensively throughout the country, I can attest access to the internet isn't widely available in many areas, especially in areas where we tend to go camping.

In my opinion, the reason cable and satellites companies keep losing customers has been due to cost, and nothing else. It seems the cable and satellites companies are beginning to listen and some of them are now starting to offer "skinny packages" with lower prices. I, for one, will continue to use Dish TV when going camping since I know for a fact many times I won't be able to get internet or OTA TV where I'm camping.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
I'll stick with Shaw Direct for now. I need live (OK, a few seconds of delay, but close enough for my needs) business channels on the road for market and commodity prices in real time. I don't record, and I'm not a prime time comedy/drama TV watcher, except sometimes years later long after the shows are canceled or retired. I also like maybe an occasional sports event live, and live news feeds as well. As far as I know, I can't get real time live channels online via streaming. Yet?

"Wrong" you can get live TV on streaming, even ESPN has gone streaming, streaming channels are growing daily, in fact many local news stations are now streaming and major news stations are streaming, I can be any where in the world and still watch 2 local news channels from Las Vegas where I live and they load new content hourly..

Best part is I don't have to be at the TV to see what is on the news at a certain time, when they upload the content it will be there for me to see at anytime.

Streaming is the new better cheaper way..

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
In most of the RV parks I have stayed in the WI-FI will barely let you send an E-mail let alone stream video.

I have Dish for the RV.

RV park internet is garbage at most parks, what you have to do is get your own internet, I have Version unlimited New internet plan, I get 30 gigs at 4G for $20.00 per month, if I go beyond 30 gig its still unlimited just a slower speed.

I am Not a full timer so it works for me, full timing might be a issue but better internet plans are coming over the next few years..

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
In most of the RV parks I have stayed in the WI-FI will barely let you send an E-mail let alone stream video.

I have Dish for the RV.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
timmac wrote:
No you might not lose them but they might lose you
Not much I can do about that. I just hope they can stem their losses and stay in business. Hard to imagine there aren't more customers who value recording like me. But then, the almighty dollar speaks loudly.

You can record streaming just the same, have you ever streamed TV, you can watch what you want at anytime you want and most of it is commercial free and many of the channels are free.

Get a Roku box at Walmart and hook it up if you have internet and be amazed at the 1000's of channels and many are Free..

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
No you might not lose them but they might lose you
Not much I can do about that. I just hope they can stem their losses and stay in business. Hard to imagine there aren't more customers who value recording like me. But then, the almighty dollar speaks loudly.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
This just might be a little sensational...especially considering the Blaze ad.

I'm sticking with them for good reception, everywhere, and the ability to record. I don't watch any live tv. They won't "loose" me.

No you might not lose them but they might lose you, if customers continue to go away they cant keep the doors open and employees on payroll they will have to shut down..

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
This just might be a little sensational...especially considering the Blaze ad.

I'm sticking with them for good reception, everywhere, and the ability to record. I don't watch any live tv. They won't "loose" me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone full streaming over 2 years ago, both at home and on the road, the content is a 100 times more than satellite TV and cost far less, many of the channels on internet streaming is even FREE..

Satellite TV will never be able to top this and they will still continue to lose customers..

I would sugest not to invest in new satellite equipment cause you might find yourself with a pile of Junk by 2022..