cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite observation.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have had directv since the beginning, be for that it was called USSB. A few years ago we got a dish VIP211K for the camper and thought it worked quite well. The price of directv keeps going up so we switched the house to dish.

What I found out was not about the company but about new technology. Our directv box was not HD, one was 11 years old and I forgot when we got the other one. One of the tuners quit about 8 or 10 years ago. The new hopper and Joey we got are not the same as the old boxes.
23 REPLIES 23

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
can't we all just get along?
bumpy

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The OP said that he had USSB before it became DirecTV and you seem to disagree with that point but agree with it here so I must simply not understand.
im sure you can figure it out

Hummm. Thanks for nothing.:R
I've explained the history of USSB several times now. do a little homework and leave this rest. You being Mr. satellite should have known this anyway

Read this: USSB. Two separate checks to two separate companies, one carries the other. Are we done now?

(Edit: added link)
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The OP said that he had USSB before it became DirecTV and you seem to disagree with that point but agree with it here so I must simply not understand.

Hummm. Thanks for nothing.:R
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
I don't have a working crystal ball, but I've read several articles on the internet that say that satellite TV, over the air TV, and cable tV, are all on the way out. ?

well if you read it on the internet, it must be factual. :s
written by the flat earth society???
bumpy

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Jeff - WA6EQU

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Our neighbor in Fort Worth worked for Hughes. He was the first one around to have that funny, small satellite dish on his house. I followed suit soon thereafter, around '95 or '96.

Had a Sony A1 receiver.

I liked DirecTV because you could own your own equipment then.

You're right - times have changed. I got tired of paying DirecTV a ton of money for nothing much, and called to cancel. They had no interest in keeping me so I switched to Dish about 8 years ago.

Better HD (back then) for a lot less money.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a working crystal ball, but I've read several articles on the internet that say that satellite TV, over the air TV, and cable tV, are all on the way out.

They say that the communications industry is aiming at a USA where everything is done over the internet, fiber cables to buildings, and widespread wifi including satellite constellations. It will connect to buildings, vehicles, boats, airplanes, equipment on your body or in your pockets, in your tents and RVs in parks and campgrounds, etc. That includes what we think of as broadcast television, Netflix type stuff, telephones, online learning, school rooms, business, government, etc. etc. etc. remote working, online shopping, online medical care, and things we have'nt thought of yet.

Instead of investing in multiple competing technologies, a bigger and better internet of the future will do it all.

The hope is that one way of communicating will be more efficient and more capable, and less expensive than building and maintaining multiple methods.

Have you all been seeing these articles too?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
bob_nestor wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
could you non-believers please explain to me how I can get hbo, show time, etc. OTA? I want to watch more than Jerry Springer myself.
but that is why they have this new invention called DVR etc. can tape and zip thru commercials.
bumpy

Air Box broadcasts HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc OTA but there's a monthly cost and it isn't available in most markets. Not really useful for the RVer, but maybe sometime in the future it will be. But by then maybe the competition will bring about some changes with Dish and Direct.

so the answer is NO. I am not content watching soap operas, no NFL channel, no Big 10 channel, no show time, no hbo, no stars, NO COMEDY CHANNEL, NO amc, ETC.
BUMPY

Could not find a "Thumbs Up" emoticon but that's what needs to be placed here!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
could you non-believers please explain to me how I can get hbo, show time, etc. OTA? I want to watch more than Jerry Springer myself.
but that is why they have this new invention called DVR etc. can tape and zip thru commercials.
bumpy

Air Box broadcasts HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc OTA but there's a monthly cost and it isn't available in most markets. Not really useful for the RVer, but maybe sometime in the future it will be. But by then maybe the competition will bring about some changes with Dish and Direct.

so the answer is NO. I am not content watching soap operas, no NFL channel, no Big 10 channel, no show time, no hbo, no stars, NO COMEDY CHANNEL, NO amc, ETC.
BUMPY

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Maybe the OP is referring to Prime Star. I believe they were bought out or became a part of DirecTV.
No, it was USSB that became part of Direct as mentioned, USSB was the supplier of the various movie channels carried on Direct. Prime Star was a separate stand-alone company

When we first got it we had a choice of eat her USSB or directv, they were two separate company's using the same satellite, and both losing money I think. We liked the USSB lineup better. Around the end of 1998 directv bought USSB and we gained a few channels and had to send the money to a new address.

When I get time I will look deeper and see if I can find the USSB manual and channel lineup. I don't think I ever threw anything away (in my life)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Yeah, and you can see it coming with ATT free streaming all of it's Direct clients. At some point they will likely get out of the satellite business
Jeff - WA6EQU

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy