cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Newbie looking for advice

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, I'm looking for a simple HD satellite setup with some sort of carry out dish (nothing mounted to the roof) with a single receiver for a single TV in the main area of the trailer. Don't need recording, hopper, joey, etc. Don't know anything about Dish or Direct so I don't know what company to go with but looking for a service I can pay as I go and just pay for the months we use it.

We're based in So. California

What dish?
What Company?
Any other info needed?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
23 REPLIES 23

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Thanks Bill, what carry out antenna would you recommend? Not really looking for a roof mounted dome

I mentioned it above, but I will say it again, I recommend the Pathway X2 dome (it cannot be roof mounted) for DISH customers. Pair that with a Wally receiver and you are good to go. Check for combo deals available if you buy both.

Got it. I misunderstood and thought you were referring to a roof mounted dome. Thanks Bill
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
Thanks Bill, what carry out antenna would you recommend? Not really looking for a roof mounted dome

I mentioned it above, but I will say it again, I recommend the Pathway X2 dome (it cannot be roof mounted) for DISH customers. Pair that with a Wally receiver and you are good to go. Check for combo deals available if you buy both.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Pathway X2. Only one that lets you choose East or West sats.

Thanks BK
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pathway X2. Only one that lets you choose East or West sats.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. On the Winegard site I see various carry outs from the Playmaker, Tailgater, Carryout, to Pathway. Not sure what I should get
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
For one receiver, if you camp in wooded sites and not open fields, you can not beat a standard Dish on a tripod. Get a 1000.4 or 1000.2 dish and a Wally receiver or better yet a 211K on ebay. Aiming is not hard and you can locate the dish up to 200' away to miss tree cover. Your limited to 50' with any of the auto dishes. Get a mast for a standard surveyors tripod at tv4rv.com

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DISH is really your only choice. DTV does not offer any kind of pay-as-you-go plan so you would need to sign up for service with a 2 year contract.
DTV also requires a home style antenna mounted on a tripod to get HD service. With DISH you would be able to use either an inexpensive tripod setup or a dome (I recommend the Pathway X2 if you choose dome). Either will give you full HD service and with only 1 receiver, no conflicts with programming. If you choose to do so later, you can add a hard drive to the receiver and enjoy the ability to record programming for additional flexibility. It only costs $40 one time and no ongoing fees beyond that.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Been a directv customer since the start. I don't want to spend the money to convert but have all the information to do so. I have a Travler on the roof and a tripod setup for places that does not work. Direct is impossible to deal with when traveling. I'm just biding my time until the competition comes up with something else. Lots of satellites going into the sky. If I was starting today. I would go with Dish because they seem to be user friendly and have lots of options.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My roof mounted Direct dish finds all 3 satellites, for HD purposes, with the push of a button. When I had a ground mounted SD antenna it was difficult to find one satellite let alone three. My understanding is Direct doesn't do SD any more.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The King VQ 4800 and the Winegard G3 are portable domes that will work with either DirecTV SD or DISH SD & HD.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Do the carry out dishes work on both Direct and Dish?
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
In the past Directv had its fans here. Not so much any more it seems.

Got it, thanks.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000