cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Networking Question

Y-Guy
So I am trying to think through my network for my RV.

Right now I used a MacMini as a media server, most of my media is in iTunes (I prefer it over Plex). Some of the videos are ones I’ve ripped from my DVDs and some are those I’ve purchased/downloaded from iTunes. iTunes likes to phone home to verify authenticity sometimes.

So far I’ve used the MacMini to direct feed my TV, and used it to feed an AppleTV - creating is own “network” and it works, mostly.

I am considering extending an CAT5 cable to the bedroom TV. So my thought is to either use an old Linksys SRX Wirless-G or perhaps picking up the last version of Apple Airport Extreme.

Now, part of my challenge is there are times where I need to allow the MacMini to phone home, if the Wifi at a campground works that’s fine or I’ve used my phone hot spot. What I’m trying to figure out is if the router could grab that wifi and share it via the Cat5 to the other devices? I don't think it can grab the campground wifi, then share its own network wifi.

Am I way off base in my thinking?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
2 REPLIES 2

Y-Guy
Thanks phil-t. The hotspot really is secondary. I want to create a network, figure any router can do that part, then I want to feed the devices that are wired. I guess where I'm unsure is can a Wireless router grab a campground or hotspot signal and then share it via the wired network so the Mac can phone home and authenticate?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see, you have a wireless hotspot or campgrounf wifi that you want to share to your lan, via that wifi? How about a Pepwave SOHO router? I use one to connect to three different phone hotspots in order to utilize (share) the combined monthly data plans.
2014 Allegro 36LA