cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Networking Question

Y-Guy
So I am trying to think through my network for my RV.

Right now I used a MacMini as a media server, most of my media is in iTunes (I prefer it over Plex). Some of the videos are ones Iโ€™ve ripped from my DVDs and some are those Iโ€™ve purchased/downloaded from iTunes. iTunes likes to phone home to verify authenticity sometimes.

So far Iโ€™ve used the MacMini to direct feed my TV, and used it to feed an AppleTV - creating is own โ€œnetworkโ€ and it works, mostly.

I am considering extending an CAT5 cable to the bedroom TV. So my thought is to either use an old Linksys SRX Wirless-G or perhaps picking up the last version of Apple Airport Extreme.

Now, part of my challenge is there are times where I need to allow the MacMini to phone home, if the Wifi at a campground works thatโ€™s fine or Iโ€™ve used my phone hot spot. What Iโ€™m trying to figure out is if the router could grab that wifi and share it via the Cat5 to the other devices? I don't think it can grab the campground wifi, then share its own network wifi.

Am I way off base in my thinking?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
2 REPLIES 2

Y-Guy
Thanks phil-t. The hotspot really is secondary. I want to create a network, figure any router can do that part, then I want to feed the devices that are wired. I guess where I'm unsure is can a Wireless router grab a campground or hotspot signal and then share it via the wired network so the Mac can phone home and authenticate?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see, you have a wireless hotspot or campgrounf wifi that you want to share to your lan, via that wifi? How about a Pepwave SOHO router? I use one to connect to three different phone hotspots in order to utilize (share) the combined monthly data plans.
2014 Allegro 36LA