cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Printing Problems

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I need some help. After spilling an adult beverage on my old laptop (waste of good Guinness), I bought a new HP Laptop. We have an HP Photosmart 6510 printer. When I try to print something from a web page, it comes out with square boxes all over the place. See attached example. Now, if I take that same file and download it to my computer and then print it, it comes out perfectly. Is there some setting that I need to adjust to get it to print directly from the source? Appreciate any help.

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72
15 REPLIES 15

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
You also could download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and open the .PDF file in it. It has a File/Print command on the menu line. (Since .PDF file format was created by Adobe for Acrobat, any proper .PDF file should appear on screen and print out readably.)

greende
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I just set up my daughters new computer with an HP6510 printer. She had print problems so we went to HP's website and downloaded the latest version of software for win 10 and that cleared up all her problems on Edge, Firefox or Chrome. Worked for her....

Thanks, I did that once, but could try it again, I guess. It only seems to happen with pdf documents. All others work okay.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I just set up my daughters new computer with an HP6510 printer. She had print problems so we went to HP's website and downloaded the latest version of software for win 10 and that cleared up all her problems on Edge, Firefox or Chrome. Worked for her....
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
Update: I just went to this website in Edge and it printed perfectly. Is this a problem with FireFox? Should I just uninstall Firefox and use Edge?

What operating system are you using?

When I copied and pasted the link below that you posted above into Edge, Edge said it couldn't find the page.

cardigancorgis.com/NS2017/Premiums/Cardigans.pdf
Strange . . .

Anyway, operating systems are a personal choice. I keep multiple OSs on my Windows 10 system because sometimes, for no apparent reason, one will work on a specific task and the other one will not.

Brand new Windows 10. Just got the computer last month after spilling a Guinness on my old one. That document is embedded in a website from the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America. I opened it in Edge and it printed fine. I guess I will keep FierFox and just have to remember that I may have to use Edge when printing from a website. Thank you.

Actually, what you need to remember is that if one won't work, try the other! I'm the Webmaster for our travel club which uses the Club Express System. In the Club Express environment, pdfs will not open in the Windows 10/Edge environment. Switch to Windows 10/Firefox and and they work fine. Go figure . . . .

greende
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
greende wrote:
Update: I just went to this website in Edge and it printed perfectly. Is this a problem with FireFox? Should I just uninstall Firefox and use Edge?

When I copied and pasted the link below that you posted above into Edge, Edge said it couldn't find the page.

Strange . . .

Anyway, operating systems are a personal choice. I keep multiple OSs on my Windows 10 system because sometimes, for no apparent reason, one will work on a specific task and the other one will not.

Brand new Windows 10. Just got the computer last month after spilling a Guinness on my old one. That document is embedded in a website from the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America. I opened it in Edge and it printed fine. I guess I will keep FierFox and just have to remember that I may have to use Edge when printing from a website. Thank you.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:

Strange . . .

greende
Explorer
Explorer

greende
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
greende wrote:
I use FireFox and it opens Yahoo automatically as my home page. I have this and other websites bookmarked in Yahoo. I opened the URL that this document is located and there is no book icon that I can see. The location of this document is cardigancorgis.com/NS2017/Premiums/Cardigans.pdf

Ahhh . . . the book icon will not be present in .pdf documents. The page you displayed in the post appeared to be an HTML document.

New versions of browser/operating systems are getting very persnickity about opening pdfs now. Some users report that they cannot even open online pdfs with the new Edge browser.

Okay. I guess that I could still download it temporarily and print from there for the future. I might just try using edge on this document to see if that works. I wish there were a way to fix it. Thanks

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
I use FireFox and it opens Yahoo automatically as my home page. I have this and other websites bookmarked in Yahoo. I opened the URL that this document is located and there is no book icon that I can see. The location of this document is cardigancorgis.com/NS2017/Premiums/Cardigans.pdf

Ahhh . . . the book icon will not be present in .pdf documents. The page you displayed in the post appeared to be an HTML document.

New versions of browser/operating systems are getting very persnickity about opening pdfs now. Some users report that they cannot even open online pdfs with the new Edge browser.

greende
Explorer
Explorer

FireFox IS the browser, its the software on your PC

Yahoo is your homepage and the website you are visiting

Cardigans.pdf is not a webpage
it is a Document stored in PDF format
and then either displayed on your display via a browser plugin OR converted on the fly and sent to you page by page as you scroll

to properly print pages of a PDf file
you need to Download and open the file
and print the pages you want
which you have already learned how to do

"prt sc" may or may not give you a correct print out, of one page at a time

you only have to try, to find out
if you only need a couple pages, it worth trying

if you need the whole thing, there is no shortcut or better method than down loading then printing

"prt sc" is a button on your keyboard

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
With Firefox as the browser, where does Yahoo come into play?

Here's a tip to try: On many (but not all) pages, if you look at the far right hand side of the URL address bar, you will see a tiny 'open book' icon. If you click on this, it will put the page into "reader view". Now you can easily print the contents of the page.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using FireFox with Yahoo as my browser. I am not sure what you mean by print option. A problem with this is that this is one of 20 pages so print screen would not be feasible.

MrWizard
Html control codes

What Brower are you using, you should be able to get a printable aka print ready page to display in the browser
Then do a print page
Which menu print option are you using

Print screen should give you a duplicate , which is pc command not a browser command
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s