cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

P4400 'KILL-A-WATT' Meter

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a P4400 KILL A WATT meter always plugged in here at my COMMS console at my house...

google image

My meter is now reading high AC voltage of 136.4 VAC. It has been reading around 128 VAC here at the house and recently I have started seeing it creep up. I always thought that was high and using my FLUKE 77 work multimeter today I see the actual AC voltage is 118.2... I walked around the house 120V Receptacles and the AC Voltage using my FLUKE 77 meter all read around the 118VAC reading...

I am guess the calibration of the KILL A WATT has gone bad for me...

I made a couple of AC AMPS readings that agreed between the two meters so that part of the P4400 is working ok...

I see they only cost around $17 from AMAZON so guess I will order another one.

I did watch a VIDEO someone made troubleshooting a bad P4400 and he opened it all up and found a blown fuse. I did not see any calibration pots anywhere in the video...

Maybe I should get a different AC VOLTMETER to constantly monitor my 120VAC here in my comms room...

I have one these in POPUP trailer so i think I will order another for use in here...

google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
12 REPLIES 12

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for comments - This has been my standard meter for a few years and then i started seeing the AC Voltage alitle higher and didn't give it much thought. Now it reads 134.6VAC... That caught my attention haha... I pulled out the second good multimeter and it reads 118.3VAC every here...

I Think i will order a new KILL-A-METER brand meter since they only cost around $17 from AMAZON. I love the other functions it does... This is the meter I would use as well with my test setup for plugging into camp ground pedestals... so its not only just for the Ham Radio station here...

If the the new one does the same thing then I will just give it up haha... I have now read the 118.2VAC from two different FLUKE meters so pretty sure they are somewhat correct... The 134.6 is down abit from my other reading a couple of days ago... The P4400 meter has been not plugged in since then... That is way to high a reading and I'm sure I would be seeing some local failures here...

I'll replace it one time I reckon...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I monitor my usage to know that the devices I chose stay within the output of my solar system and under the radar of the battery bank.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I'm just curious? Why do you folks monitor your electricity so much, so closely? I've never done that. My camper is just plugged in. I do have a Progressive Industries Surge Protector, but no readouts. I'm just a "plug and go" person. Why all the monitoring? I just don't get it?

PI makes surge protectors with read outs.. Those are the ones we recommend. the ones without read outs I do not recommend.

But to answer your question.. LOW VOLTAGE is a killer for many devices, and HIGH for other devices.. That's why we monitor

Also low voltage can be in indication of "issues" which can be easily fixed.. or which can get more expensive over time.

Finallyl.. It is easy to monitor.. I mean the Kill-A-Watt performs several functions depnding on where I plug it in.

And some of us just like to know.. I'm a Certified electronics technician (even if I've never worked in that field) and an electronics hobbyist.. So naturally.. Enquiring minds want to know.

Agreed. I too just like to know what the power is doing. Camping/vacation time is precious time so if I can spot a potential problem before it causes issues a quick glance at a monitor at times is worth it to me. I agree if youโ€™re going to invest in a PI having read outs is the way to go. My old TRC did not but the re-designed PI (PT 30X) I picked up this year does. I still like to have the small TRC digital line monitor inside for convenience and to see levels downstream for the panel. The majority just plugs in and looks at nothing and most likely will never have an issue. I on the other hand even monitor and check RPM levels on all my power equipment, tractor and small engines so they run optimal. Iโ€™m on the other extreme. Hell, I even have a digital tach on my Honda walk behind lawn mower.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
I'm just curious? Why do you folks monitor your electricity so much, so closely? I've never done that. My camper is just plugged in. I do have a Progressive Industries Surge Protector, but no readouts. I'm just a "plug and go" person. Why all the monitoring? I just don't get it?

PI makes surge protectors with read outs.. Those are the ones we recommend. the ones without read outs I do not recommend.

But to answer your question.. LOW VOLTAGE is a killer for many devices, and HIGH for other devices.. That's why we monitor

Also low voltage can be in indication of "issues" which can be easily fixed.. or which can get more expensive over time.

Finallyl.. It is easy to monitor.. I mean the Kill-A-Watt performs several functions depnding on where I plug it in.

And some of us just like to know.. I'm a Certified electronics technician (even if I've never worked in that field) and an electronics hobbyist.. So naturally.. Enquiring minds want to know.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Roy
Said it was in the comm center aka his Ham Shack
I'm sure he doesn't want to loose expensive Ham radio equipment to over voltage

I'm on generator and solar, I monitor my dc power, don't worry much about ac voltage
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

I too have a Progressive Industries SG but also have a TRC plug in monitor. Because CG's many times have very unreliable and unstable power I like to take a quick peak to see what the voltage reading is. If very low but not low enough for the PI to kill power I might think twice before using the electric source for the water heater or monitor overall usage a bit more closely to keep voltage drop at a reasonable level. Mine is plugged in near one of my entry doors so I can quickly glance at it on the way in or out.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You can also get one of these Onan branded meters, surplus for $4.25

https://www.sciplus.com/p/ONAN-OUTLET-TESTER_57808

-- Chris Bryant

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The product called Kill-A-Watt is not spelled kilowatt.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
It's spelled "Kilowatt" One kilowatt equals 1000 watts.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
My 1st Kill-a-watt died the same way. I did not bother to try to fix it. I have a new one hooked up to my always on computer. his reminds me I need to check it.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty fond of these. They double as a nightlight as well.
You can find them on Amazon for about $15 bucks.

Have them littered throughout my RV.