Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older phone question

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I have an older Samsung Galaxy S-4 that I like, I'm used to it and it still works well. I noticed that the last update to the phone was January 2017. Is that normal or is this phone not well supported? Does having an older phone put me ask risk for hacking? I have no anti virus or additional security on the phone and wouldn't know what to get.
Additionally why do apps need access to my SD card with the ability to read,modify and delete content and make changes to it? Thanks!
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
11 REPLIES 11

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Bill S. wrote:

I wasn;t about the spend the money they charge for a new S8, and I thought the S7 was nice but too fragile. I found some websites that sell 1 y/o phones as factory refurbed, and bought an S7 Active for $300. The S7 Active is built to milspecs, larger cap battery, and is ruggedized.

Bill could you let me know where you bought the refurbed S7 Active?

I bought it on-line, Here

S7 Active

Their inventory is constantly changing, so if you don't see what you want, call them. They may have something that is not on their listings yet. They have a 2 month return policy.
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Bill S. wrote:

I wasn;t about the spend the money they charge for a new S8, and I thought the S7 was nice but too fragile. I found some websites that sell 1 y/o phones as factory refurbed, and bought an S7 Active for $300. The S7 Active is built to milspecs, larger cap battery, and is ruggedized.

Bill could you let me know where you bought the refurbed S7 Active?
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an S4 which I really like, but it started acting up, constantly announcing "SIM card not detected; Reboot". Problem is not the card, but either the card tray/circuit board, or software.

Also had to replace DW's phone, so bought a new Moto G5 plus from Costco, and it is really nice, and has a 4000 ma battery also.
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State

MrWizard
I have an S4, my last update was in 2015 , before i unlocked the OS, and turned off the update feature,
None of my apps have given me any problems
I am aware of a friend, who did have a problem with one app, he likes, the app updated and would not run on his phone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to checking phone options check plan options. We were happy with our older phone on Straightalk but discovered we could move up to an S8 at lower cost by switching to Xfinity Mobile (using same Verizon towers)- almost seamless transition with lower cost.
Kevin

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I woudl say it is normal. however you can go to the Samsung web site and ask them.

Fact: If it works.... Don't fix it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Look to the Motorola phones if you have to replace. Moto G4 has the ability to work with most carriers cdma and gsm services. You can go from ATT to Verizon or anyone else, and not have to change phones, if you buy from Motorola direct, you get a lot less "clutter" as far as extra apps that the phone companies put on the phone, and the prices are as little as $150.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Had an S4 loved it except the horrible battery life. When we were i our favorite park the battery would be toast in less than 3 hours. Got a new Motorola Droid and in the same park the battery was still going strong after all day. Upgrade to a new phone. You will not regret it.

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I currently also have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. Previous posters are correct about the older OS on these phones being more vulnerable to security issues. Another issue that I am having is that a number of android apps do not work on my phone as they were written utilizing a newer OS.

I have been looking for a replacement but the Galaxy S8 is too expensive. One of my sons got a Galaxy S7. The front has gorilla glass but the back of the phone does not. He dropped his phone and the back is now cracked. The Galaxy S6 does not have SIM card capabilities and the Galaxy S5 is not much newer than what I have.

I looked at the LG G6 but it has a built in battery that is not replaceable. And the Google smart phone (I can't remember the current model name) again has no SIM card capability as they are pushing their cloud storage. Motorola looks like a good alternative if I can get a decent price on a current model.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I loved my S4 but I was living on a boat for a year and it corroded just as if I had dropped it into the toilet. Now I have an S6.

Not sure about the updates, could be they stopped updating the older model just as Apple is doing with the IOS 11 release where it won't support 32 bit phones.

As far as the SD card, I guess it depends the app. Maybe if your phone fills it wants to be able to store data on the SD card if it is installed. One of the nice things I noticed after a recent update (could have happened earlier) is that I have complete control over each setting for every non-builtin app. At least it gives me the illusion that I control my phone :W.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Your phone is considered quite old, even if it's only 4 years old. I'm surprised you got an update this year since most carriers/OEMs only update their phones for 2 years at the most.

Having an older phone does put you more at risk because of the lack of updates. It's a merry go round the carriers and manufacturers like you on, where you update every 2 years or so because they're not making any money off you on your phone at this point unless you upgrade. As far as anti-virus for phones, it really doesn't do that much because the OS keeps all the apps away from each other - unlike a computer, where an AV product can run at a very low level and see everything, on a phone the AV app has no special permission to allow it to do anything.

Apps need access to the SD card to store data. Depending on the app this may or may not make sense. Think of a photo editing app - it certainly needs to be able to see your pictures (read access) and be able to make changes to them (write access). Other apps, like a flashlight, for example, has no need at all to access your SD card in this manner. Depending on the version of Android you have, you might be able to grant each permission separately, or it might be all all-or-nothing situation if your OS is older than Android 6.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K