cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New desktop computer - msn, norton etc

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Got a new Acer desktop computer to replace the aging HP I had been using for years, after inheriting it from my wife (who originally bought it refurbished)

It's always such fun setting up a new computer... well not really.

It's running windows 10 home and I have installed firefox for the browser and duckduckgo for the search engine.
Did the updates for windows and firefox and I am now trying to configure things how I would like them.

Norton was installed on the machine either through windows or more likely when I installed firefox. I don't care for norton after previous experience with it. It says I'm 'protected' and there are 27 days left in my subscription. I would like norton off of my new desktop and for it to never bother me again.
How can I do this?

The second issue is it seems like when I first open firefox the first tab is always MSN nonsense. I do not like MSN and would like it to stop bothering me. When I open additional tabs they open correctly to the duckduckgo page.

Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I use Firefox...have been for quite a few years. If you don't want MSN as a home page, figure out which one you may want, load it....and somewhere it will say "Make _____ your home page?". Click on "yes". And there it is. Every time you open Firefox that page will be your home page. (Same for IE)
Then, to confirm, go to Control Panel, click on "internet options" and under "home page" the website should be listed.

Change it at will. Change it as often as you wish. Just my experience.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should also be a choice of "Use Current Page". Open a tab to the page you want Firefox to open on, close the MSN tab, now go to Tools, Options, and select "Use Current Page" for your selection for the home page.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, if I change from firefox default to 'blank page' it will not open ff with msn, and when I add a tab it will not open the new tab with msn (just a blank page). I guess that works though I'd like to have it open with the search engine firefox home default.

The little home icon still opens ff with msn.

Under options home - new windows and tabs there is actually three options:
Firefox home default
Custom URL's
Blank page

I think the msn thing is inserted into the custom url's but I cant see it to change it.

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I think I got Norton removed using revo uninstaller, and bitdefender installed.

You are correct, the msn, and norton and who knows what else is part of the Acer deal, nothing to do with FF.

I still can't figure out how to get msn gone as the browser home page.

When I intially start ff it comes up with msn.

When I add new tabs it doesn't come up with msn, it comes up with the search page (duckduckgo) like it should.

When I click the little home icon in the upper left corner it opens a new tab with msn.
When I hover over that home icon it says, http://acer17win10.msn.com/?pc=ACTE...

Under home page and new windows it is set to firefox home. New tabs is also set to firefox home.

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

Is this the correct website/tool to remove Norton?
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

It says in part:
If you have Norton Family installed, uninstall it before you run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.

So I'm supposed to uninstall something before I remove something?

And then it says:

The Norton Remove and Reinstall tool uninstalls most Norton products, and reinstalls the latest version.

Before you proceed, make sure that you meet the following requirements:

You need to have an Internet connection

The tool does not remove Norton Utilities or Norton Family

The tool does not remove your Norton Identity Safe local vault

I take it the part about reinstalling is user selectable in the process?

Also, it says it doesn't remove norton utilities or norton family or norton identity safe local vault? I must have the wrong website as I would like to remove all things norton?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not paying Bitdefender anything and it still does a good job :)... It never tells me to run a virus protection, it is always On and blocks threats as soon as detects it. Also, free Malwarebytes couple times a month, just in case.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Rvpapa wrote:
Go to Symantic site and get the Norton removal tool. It removes program and all the left overs. Others won't.
Art.

If you want to completely get Norton off your system, this is the best solution.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There has been a recent legal case about bundled what I call "**** Ware" Now Norton is supposed to be good. unlike McAffee which is a criminal consortium (And I;m not talking about his personal legal issues but the company as a whole). But getting rid of the crapware is job one on most computers.

IF YOU ONLY use the comptuer for web browsing.. Consider a DChromebook.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I use 7...Firefox and have NORTON. No problems. When NORTON tells me I have to run their virus protection and such...I'm happy to do it That's what I'm paying them for. Only takes a couple minits.

I also have CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Both the free versions. I run both of these once a month.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Symantic site and get the Norton removal tool. It removes program and all the left overs. Others won't.
Art.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
To uninstall: Try Revo Uninstaller (free version), it removes most anything. What is nice about Revo is that it also cleans leftovers after uninstalling. No, Forefox didn't infect you with Norton, they are non-profit and would never impose any trial soft on you.

To open Firefox without MSN cr-ap: open 'Fox window -> Tools-> Options -> Home -> Homepage and New Windows, choose BLANK PAGE or 'Fox default page, or any other page of your choice. Default page for "New Tabs" is set separately from Homepage.

You will also need some antivir after deleting Norton. Favorite programs come and go, google up what's popular now. At the moment I like Bitdefender for live protection, and Malwarebytes Free for weekly or biweekly clean-up. Also Sophos once in a blue moon, it's ridiculously slow and usually no need after Malwarebytes.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I "support" almost a dozen computers for family and friends. CCleaner (the free version) is a MUST HAVE tool. Just make sure if the ask you if you want Avast anti-virus you say (uncheck the box).

The "Tools" option in CCleaner (left side) removes unwanted software.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Norton was certainly not a "sneak" install by Firefox... it was probably one of the many bloat-ware programs that Acer put on your computer...a trial subscription.

As posted...delete it. Norton makes deleting difficult. I use a free program called Revo Uninstaller, but there are other ways also..I like Revo Uninstaller because it also picks up lots of left overs in the Registry and other files during the uninstall process..

Lots of free anti-virus anti-malware programs out there. Right now I'm using Avast Free Antivirus.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Norton homepage and delete it. I don't like Norton at all either. Slows down a machine way too much and is as intrusive as a pop up ad.

I run Trend Microservice, don't impact my speed or browsing, totally in the background. I need powerful anti-virus for my business website but not the speed reduction. Trend fill the bill. I have Windows 10+ 64 bit pro edition with developers suite.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB