cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new Reciever.....might be a tall order...

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Fifth wheel. Came with an old Kenwood received where the speaker wires get clamped in. I replaced that with an MP3 unit with a DVD play that had speaker wire inputs....but now..a new degree of difficulty. My CRT tv finally bit the dust and I replaced it with a smart tv so....I want to find a way to run both the DVD (or get a receiver with a DVD already in it) and the TV through the receiver so I can get surround sound on both.

TV provider (free, so I'm using it) is Charter cable which has an HDMI port on the back of the box. So as I see it I need a receiver with speaker wire ports *and* one HDMI "in" (if it has an internal DVD player but that can fail so preferably two) and two HDMI "outs". I feel like I'm trying to connect model T parts with space shuttle parts but I have faith that it's doable. Has anyone done it? If there's no unit that can do this is there a way to convert the wires to RCA plugs or something? But even then you'd need some RCS stereo inputs (one for each speaker, right?)

Thanks for your help. If you have a receiver that will do all of this (not as interested in MP3 USB etc...I just want to get the surround working with the tv and DVD.

Ok, I'm thinking about this.....Or, just one HDMI "out". You would choose the source -- dvd or cable -- from the receiver. But...I don't want to have to have the surround sound on all the time for the cable. So that would mean a splitter coming out of the cable box. That would attach to HDMI 1 on the tv and the other would come out of the receiver and go in HDMI 2 on the tv So through the 2nd one you'd get your choice of dvd or cable with surround sound.
4 REPLIES 4

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out they're Sony connectors. You get little plugs that snap onto the wire ends and then plug those in. You can find them via a search for "speaker wire connectors (or adapters)" on eBay. About $10. Found a unit made by Sony (str-ks380...there are similar models...ks370...ks360) that has a coax in, 3 HDMI in, one HDMI out...used...for $50. That'll work. Will run a separate DVD player into it with HDMI. There are home theater receivers as well that have speaker wire inputs but they don't have much in the way of HDMI in and out. "A/V HDMI receiver Sony" will pull these units up on Ebay.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Those look like standard RCA connectors. Solder the wires to those. Get some help if necessary.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm narrowing in on it now. Have to search for A/V amplifier receiver.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I found this. This looks promising. But what kind of plugs are those for the speakers and how do I convert the raw wires from my speakers to plug that will fit those ports?

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7960/sony360wm.jpg

This is the only low profile unit I've found. The others are huge, twice as big...like the old Kenwood receivers. Still wonering about the plugs for the speakers.