cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laptop battery difference Metal hydride vs Lith ion

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I received a new battery for my Dell, It fit fine, charged up fine, both 11.1 volts pc runs fine. But after installing I noticed the new one is an MHD, and the one I took out was a Li ion. Does anyone know if this is safe or could cause any damage ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.
9 REPLIES 9

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I contacted the seller about returning it, and he said the new battery actually is a lion battery and it is perfectly safe, He said if it fails to operate correctly he will replace it w/ the same. And it is operating to full satisfaction, including capacity performance.
How can I complain......a $11.95
battery that seems to be operating to full performance.
So I give it up. Thanks for all the replies.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think there is some confusion on battery technology here.
Not an expert on MHD so that's all I can say
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJsfishin wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Assume you received a Nickel Metal .hydride ( NiMh ) battery.....older technology.....reliable but less capacity than a LiOn battery and perhaps a different charging profile. Personally I'd be a bit perturbed to receive them in place of the OEM Lithium-ion battery.

Strange thing is, the new MHD battery is 5200 MA, 800 more than the old Li ion at 4400 ma. So, while all seems to be operating well, my guestion is still about the safety of it all. I am glad that its not the other way around, because those li ion batteries can be very scary if all is not correct. The other thing I am thinking, why do the 2 completely different chemistry batteries fit ?????? Very strange situation, at best ! But I'll hope for the best.
I would not worry about the safety of the NiHm battery, the LiOn were the ones that get hot and have caused fires in the laptops and other devices. NiMh works best from 20-80% SOC range is cheaper than LiOn so I would not return it. Toyota have been using NiHh in their hybrids for years, just bought a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid with the NiMh battery system. They actually use both now. Each battery has its pros and cons. I have one in my lap top now, has lasted longer than the original and it was much less that the original LiOn battery. I would not send it back. Old technology is not bad. I'm old as well as my MH and all systems are original and still work after 25 years including my Norcold refer.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJsfishin wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
i would return it, not going to be even close to the performance.

Humm, I thought 5200 ma would outperform 4600 ma.

Two different technologies have distinctly DIFFERENT discharge characteristics..

Metal hydride discharge is not as flat as Lith ion so 5200 ma Metal Hydride might give slightly less run time than 4600 ma Lith ion.

Lith ion has a very long flat discharge curve, the down side to that is when it is empty, it cuts of much faster than Metal Hydride.

I do have a concern though when mixing, the laptop will have special battery charging management system designed exclusively for Lith ion which may or may not play well..

I would tend to agree with returning it.

I would suggest buying a Genuine OEM replacement from a reputable dealer or even from the manufacturer for best results. HINT, EBAY IS NOT "REPUTABLE" PLACE TO BUY OEM BRANDED PARTS!

Lots of FAKED PARTS out there on the wobbly web, ANYONE can make up a brand sticker and slap it on cheaply made parts..

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:

Humm, I thought 5200 ma would outperform 4600 ma.
Rich

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Assume you received a Nickel Metal .hydride ( NiMh ) battery.....older technology.....reliable but less capacity than a LiOn battery and perhaps a different charging profile. Personally I'd be a bit perturbed to receive them in place of the OEM Lithium-ion battery.

Strange thing is, the new MHD battery is 5200 MA, 800 more than the old Li ion at 4400 ma. So, while all seems to be operating well, my guestion is still about the safety of it all. I am glad that its not the other way around, because those li ion batteries can be very scary if all is not correct. The other thing I am thinking, why do the 2 completely different chemistry batteries fit ?????? Very strange situation, at best ! But I'll hope for the best.
Rich

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Probably an aftermarket battery not from Dell.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad