cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King quest and local channels

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was living in so Cali and when traveling wherever I would set up my king quest on direct TV and get all channels including my local channels out of Los Angeles.

I have since moved to Northern Nevada and use the same exact setup but now I can't get my local channels out of Reno, nv. Are Reno channels different then LA channels? TIA!!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
16 REPLIES 16

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
mfifield01 wrote:
Have you done it in the last 3-4 months? I haven't tried, but read that you need to put in for a change of address and have a tech come out. In the past, I could do it the way you described.

I have a list of what will work on the 101 sat (for locals).

Yes, and No. No tech required.
Did you use the Directv website (chat) or ATT site?
TT - 2015 Keystone Passport 2810BH

TV - 2013 RAM Lone Star Crew 6'4" 1500 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed (3.92) 4x4 with Factory Air Suspension

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfifield01 wrote:
Have you done it in the last 3-4 months? I haven't tried, but read that you need to put in for a change of address and have a tech come out. In the past, I could do it the way you described.

Yes, and No. No tech required.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer

TV - 2013 RAM Lone Star Crew 6'4" 1500 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed (3.92) 4x4 with Factory Air Suspension

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used both the DTV chat option from my online account and calling in and selecting the Tech. Support option during the phone tree. Just explain you want to change your SERVICE address but leave the BILLING address the same. If you use a campground address be sure to add your site number as Apt 79 as they could be multiple accounts at that address. I prefer to use a local WalMart or McDonald's.
The problem that can occur with a dome and locals is that some of the locals are broadcast on the 99 and 103 only which the dome cannot receive. They may also come from the 119 satellite in a few rare markets but as long as your dome can toggle between 101 and 119 that should work OK.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short answer is YES. (Are Reno and LA channles different)

First. Dish or Direct (Just read the proper sub section)

Dish: Dish the Reno and LA will be on different SPOT beams. In fact you might still be able to get yoru LA "Locals" if they are still on a Conus beam (I do not know)

Direc: Not only does the above apply but many "Locals" are phasing out "SD" transmission and going 100% HD only. Without looking at the King Quest setup. if that is a DOME type antenna or a Simple single LNB. it don't do HD.

Both. If you change your service address with eithe Dish or Direct you **SHOULD** get the locals.. Note the qualifier. SHOULD.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone changed their service address recently? I heard that it's nearly impossible with the ATT/Directv changes.

I was able to change mine last fall, but haven't tried since. I plan to travel this summer, so I'd like to make one change.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The LA Network uses a ConUS broadcast for DNS and, unless it has changed, the 4 Major Networks from LA were ConUS as well and broadcast on the 101 satellite in SD. That certainly could have changed but RVers with NY and LA addresses have reported success Nationwide for many years. Just haven't checked on it lately. If you recently received the LA Networks locally with a dome style antenna that means they are still being broadcast on the 101 but maybe they spot beamed that in the last few years.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
Are Reno channels different then LA channels? TIA!!
Yes, they are different then.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Imagine a stage
on this stage is painted a map of the UNited states
On the spot with corrosponds to your house is the star of the show singing his SOLO. He is spotlighted. You can not even see the crew changing props on the dark part of the stage (By the way in my college days... Part of said crew).

Local channels are broadcase (With a few exceptions) on a "Spot Beam" LA however (And NY area) are also broadcast on a CONUS (Contential US) Flood light beam. So if you subscribe to Distant Network you can get 'em no matter where you are parked, and Possibly even if you do not provided you have an LA or NY area service address.

Reno is on a different spot. and you need to be Authorized to use it.. You DO however have choices.
One. Change your service address NOTE: IF you do NOT subscribe to DNS you will loose LA or
2: That's what the Winegard Over the Air antenna is for.. local Channels. I do recommend a couple upgrades to the standard Sensar II or III. Add Wingman (not needed with teh Sensar IV, it has one already) and the Sensar PRO indoor moduel.

IN fact. that's all I use. no sat receiver, no prak cable here.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
I don't have another address to change my service to.

sure you do...the address of the park or campground is your SERVICE address. if youโ€™re permanent at a spot itโ€™s the same address you use for your mail.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
I don't have another address to change my service to.

If there's an AT&T or Direct TV retailer near your new location, try using that as an address when you move service. I have an AT&T account, and I just used the retailer's address as my address. They were fine with that.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
King Service compatibility: DIRECTV SD
Compatible with the following DIRECTV receivers:
D10, D11, D12; H & HR receivers under 25 (Example: H24)

Reno Locals are on the 99.2 DTV satellite.
Link for Reno Locals

The 99.2 is a SWM satellite that your King is not capable or receiving.

You will need to trade that King in for a Winegard Trav'ler that receives the 99/101/103 then the locals will be available to you.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Where you are has to have a address, that is the one u use

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV has "spot beams". I think 100 mile radius from where your "address" is. Usually the nearest large city. (Would think when you originally set up your DirecTV you had to give them some kind of address......) I mean, where is your billing address ?

Go outside the spot beam, you lose the local networks. That doesn't matter to me, as I run everything thru a passive switchbox (ANT,CABLE, SAT) when I am, say in Phoenix, I put up the batwing, and push the "ANT" button...get the locals there. Then, back to SAT by pushing the SAT button.

Others, if you read, even research the topic, here at the forum, they call DirecTV and make whatever changes they want.