cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been a satisfied Verizon Wireless customer for many years. However, lately I’ve had trouble calling out during the early morning hours; then, after a while, everything would return to normal. Being handicapped, and needing phone service 24/7, I found that situation unsatisfactory.

I tried giving Verizon a chance to fix the issue, but it was never completed satisfactorily. I’m also not pleased that they have given over their stores to some company named TCC. They don’t provide service there, and when I asked about the possibility of buying a new phone, I was advised to go to Walmart or Best Buy, since it would cost less. Additionally, since I already ported over my number to the new phone, They told me my monthly bill would double. Some nerve! :M

Well, that did it! I immediately drove to a T-Mobile store nearby and signed up for their service. As part of the deal, I was given a new Samsung Galaxy A14 5G smart phone, plus a $200 gift card. Now, I’m no fool. I realize they're not going to lose any money. Anyhow, I’m very happy with the new phone, I get a stronger signal than Verizon in my apartment, and I can finally make calls without worrying if it’s going to work (I now see more bars in the signal strength meter than I ever did with Verizon).

The phone is a 2023 model, and will receive updates for at least the next 4 years (it’s already running Android 13). My previous phone was a Samsung J3, which was a number of years old but still worked pretty well even though the signal strength usually hovered around 1 or 2 bars.

So, I hope I made a good choice. Time will tell.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
18 REPLIES 18

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Mayor30 wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Coincidently I was in Costco yesterday and T mobile approached my while I was looking at laptops. I am currently with Verizon on my sil family plan. Currently we pay about $35 per line for 8 lines. T mobile wanted $32/line after all their discounts. Not much difference in price. They also had a 5G box for internet for $30/mo supposed to be faster than fiber optics from Frontier or Optimum at $40/mo and $50/mo for 500 MPPS. Has anyone switched to T mobile 5 G and is it any better than fiber optics?

My wife and i have the Tmobile 55 and older phone plan for $70 a month,taxes included,unlimited everything. Then we got the Tmobile 5G internet for $50 a month taxes included. We were with Verizon and saved a lot of money. Now I see for Verizon cell phones for $25 a month. Tmobile is forcing all providers to lower their rates. Their cell service is good and customer support has been good.

As usual, most of Verizons advertising leaves out the details. To get the $25/line offer you have to pay for 4 lines. So, $100/month with very limited internet.

MrWizard
Yes we'll known !!
I know, the difference is the $149+ per month, to $25 per month I now pay for voice & data on my phone, and the "data Priorization" has had little effect on use of my phone,
Switching my phone... same service less bill, then dropped my att wireless internet,

This allowed me the freedom to get the TMobile home internet $50 month , faster unlimited data for streaming while spending less total expenses each month
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I switched to Visible for my phone service

Visible is owned by Verizon.

MrWizard
I switched to visible for my phone service
And got T-mobile home internet Gateway

{Yes the silver trash can}
A friend of mine calls it the Missle Catcher
A reference to some movie scene, where a Missle homed in on some body's electronic signal,
Any way both services work great where I'm at, and I went from almost $200 Per month to $75 per month
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Coincidently I was in Costco yesterday and T mobile approached my while I was looking at laptops. I am currently with Verizon on my sil family plan. Currently we pay about $35 per line for 8 lines. T mobile wanted $32/line after all their discounts. Not much difference in price. They also had a 5G box for internet for $30/mo supposed to be faster than fiber optics from Frontier or Optimum at $40/mo and $50/mo for 500 MPPS. Has anyone switched to T mobile 5 G and is it any better than fiber optics?

My wife and i have the Tmobile 55 and older phone plan for $70 a month,taxes included,unlimited everything. Then we got the Tmobile 5G internet for $50 a month taxes included. We were with Verizon and saved a lot of money. Now I see for Verizon cell phones for $25 a month. Tmobile is forcing all providers to lower their rates. Their cell service is good and customer support has been good.

Gjac wrote:
1492 wrote:
What is the 5G box? I have T-Mobile home internet that is a 5G modem which looks like the former MacPro trash can. Had it since it was first introduced. Been very satisfied. Download speeds have been consistent at 500Mbps+. Not sure if that is as fast as some fibre optic connections which can be faster.
Yes, it looked like a trash can that I called a box it is all wireless. It was $10-20 cheaper than the other two fiber optic providers in my area, they advertise 500 mbps.

As long as you are close enough to the T-Mobile 5G mid-band signal, you should get similar speeds. However, if you're farther away, you'll likely only get low band performance which is closer to 4G speeds.

I believe T-Mobile offers a trial period to test data speeds at your location.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The main reason we quit Verizon ... no customer service AND over-billing. We went into the Verizon store and complained about over-billing for a 'Hotspot' which we did not have. The Verizon store said 'Call Verizon, but the store does not handle anything but sales and connection.' This after numerous hours/waits on calls, and then Verizon telling us, 'We'll take it off,' but never taking it off.' Eventually, the billing got on our credit report where it remains, ignored. It's been on the CR for years and we get numerous collection threats, which we also ignore. Our credit score is so high, one tiny glitch like that means nothing.

We switched to T-Mobile years ago, and the store we went into still takes care of any issues - altho, there have been only one or two connection issues over the years which were fixed immediately. We pay $70 a month for unlimited everything, including hotspot for two phones AND good service at the store, no need to call anyone and waste hours for nothing.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon and have stuck with them as I have not had any issues with them. In saying that I know that T-Mobile has really stepped up their game in the last few years and if they have not already overtaken Verizon they soon will.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
1492 wrote:
What is the 5G box? I have T-Mobile home internet that is a 5G modem which looks like the former MacPro trash can. Had it since it was first introduced. Been very satisfied. Download speeds have been consistent at 500Mbps+. Not sure if that is as fast as some fibre optic connections which can be faster.
Yes, it looked like a trash can that I called a box it is all wireless. It was $10-20 cheaper than the other two fiber optic providers in my area, they advertise 500 mbps.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WNYBob wrote:
By the way be aware that each type of device on the T-Mobile network has its own plan.
Example, I have 2 phones, a watch and T-Mobile Internet box that means I have 3 different plans, so ask lots of questions so you don't get surprised at bill time.

Yes but you can have two Phones on the same 55+ plan 2nd line 10 bucks. and JUST use it as a Hot Spot.. You need not have a special "hot Spot" box like many do.. (I have just one phone it does both)

One caution.. My phone will "Relay" wifi. but if I'm connected to a "Public" 5GHz wifi note my 2.4GHz only devices will not connect to it.

If I switch to Cellular data (They sip by the way not gulp) they connect just fine. Normally I do not connect the phone to wi-fi less I'm at home I use the phone as a hot-spot on the road.

As I recall my last Android phone WOULD translate 5GHz wi-fi to 2.4Ghz so this may be model specific issue.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
By the way be aware that each type of device on the T-Mobile network has its own plan.
Example, I have 2 phones, a watch and T-Mobile Internet box that means I have 3 different plans, so ask lots of questions so you don't get surprised at bill time.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
T-Mobile's 55+ plans also include their Magenta Max plan which includes more high speed data. And you can get the T-Mobile Internet for $30/mo. and the device for free after 24 mo. Rebate plan.
I tested at our campground where we are members, and got 300+ Mbps! Summer looks good.