cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

internet Access: 16 Campgrounds in 3 States

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I found . . . Campground Internet.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs
10 REPLIES 10

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Is there a latency issue with Hughes net that is preventing streaming?

No, the Gen 5 systems work fine with streaming. Current sat Internet does have long latencies (600 - 800 ms typical), but unless you're streaming service uses some sort of ACK-NAK protocol, then it's all good. Netflex, Apple TV, etc all work fine although YouTube video is usually the worst. However, I think that's a YouTube encoding issue rather than a HughesNet problem.

The only problems I've encountered with sat service latency is VOIP and uploading files us/ing WordPress.

Probably not a big issue here but live action gaming is near useless on a satellite connection.

To comment on an earlier post: while there are plenty of poorly performing WiFi systems out there I have managed to stay a number of places with solid WiFi service and allowed streaming.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
To easy to use your phone as a hotspot these days.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Is there a latency issue with Hughes net that is preventing streaming?

No, the Gen 5 systems work fine with streaming. Current sat Internet does have long latencies (600 - 800 ms typical), but unless you're streaming service uses some sort of ACK-NAK protocol, then it's all good. Netflex, Apple TV, etc all work fine although YouTube video is usually the worst. However, I think that's a YouTube encoding issue rather than a HughesNet problem.

The only problems I've encountered with sat service latency is VOIP and uploading files using WordPress.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
To add to comparison, I used Sprint for last 2 years and I had really good service.
Drove via 9 southern states and the only time I had no service was AZ desert, where cellphone antennas are once in 30-40 miles item.
Couple of times it took long minutes to connect, what made me wonder how the system work as after it finally connect, I had pretty good speed.
Most of the time I could watch youtube movies.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Techwriter,

Thanks for taking the time to post this information.

I'm able to stream over my cell phone even when throttled. Is there a latency issue with Hughes net that is preventing streaming?

I firmly believe that the companies should be legislated into having to share towers (fee is charged). That is what happened in Canada. It means that my Provincial Cell phone company can enter into bandwidth agreements, so coverage is not dependent on native towers.

The same thing happens when a USA company enters an agreement with Canadian based providers. So ATT and Verizon may have identical coverage in Canada, provided that the end user "signs up" for service.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œYou found campgrounds that actually let you stream with their wifi?โ€œ

You found campgrounds that actually have working WiFi?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ahh, a link to a blog. Warnings would be nice.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You found campgrounds that actually let you stream with their wifi?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
What is involved with using satellite for internet?

Start here.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting!

What is involved with using satellite for internet? I love satellite TV, including an FTA setup at home and I now have a newly acquired C-band dish to play with. Sat internet sounds interesting and could come in handy in some CGs.

We normally use DW's phone for a hotspot because she has a great Freedom Mobile (Canadian) data plan in the US and otherwise we use a Verizon pay as you go plan when needed.