cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HP Officejet 4622 Printer Problem

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
I have the above print, scan, copy, fax printer. It has been working fine until I recently needed to replace the black ink cartridge. The existing set of 4 ink cartridges was an off brand that were working fine. Replaced the black cartridge with an HP cartridge. Since then it will not print black. Thought maybe I got a bad cartridge so I bought another HP cartridge. Still no black printing. If I change the copy to blue it prints fine. My thinking is maybe HP will not let the black cartridge work with the off brand color cartridges. Any thoughts? We live in a town with WalMart the only choice for supplies. Looked yesterday and they did not have a black cartridge of the off brand in stock or I would have tried that. With the exorbitant cost of ink cartridges I hate to keep experimenting. Might be cheaper to buy a new printer.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)
12 REPLIES 12

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using an Epson Ecotank 3700 series for the past 2 years with no problems. It's fairly fast but no where near laser fast. All these printers are monitored through the internet now, with the real goal of trying to keep their ink sales going. I would not be surprised to see them brick the printer intentionally some day to make you buy a new one. That's already being done by some manufacturers(Sonus and even Ford also). Get yourself a good laser and you'll be a happy camper. A laser saves you so much time. BAM-it's done.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With Ink Jets it's dang near cheaper to replace the printer than the Cartaridges now days.

Inspect the contacts and if you see no problems it may be your 3-rd party cart took out the driver transistors
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Been using a HP color laser printer for at least 13 years now.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I don't have any advice on the inkjet. But I'm one of the ones who went to a laser printer and have never looked back. Yes it's only black and white. but I'm still on the same toner cartridge that it came with new at least 7 years ago. Inkjet printers are just a waste of time and money as the cartridges dry out or stop reading.

As far as color laser printers. Yes they do exist, they just cost more than a black and white.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had pretty much the same problem on my HP Officejet of another style.
When I put the off brand color cartridges in a pop up on my computer saying that they were not compatible but it still printed black but it was spotty and doing all the cleaning and other tests it did not help.

I changed all to the off brand and it all worked but every time I changed out a cartridges I got the same popup.

I purchased all my off brand cartridges from Amazon. Still expensive but they worked. The HP just got more and more problematic and I purchased a Epson 3600, much better and the ink lasts longer and the tanks are refillable,I shopped around and found one on sale.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you printer is connected to your WiFi, HP can and does control it. I was going to quit their Insta-Ink package, so when I called to end it, I was told that the printer would no longer work, unless I went and bought NEW HP print cartridges. I would advise walmart for a cheap replacement, Our store was running a special on a PIXMA for under $25 dollars. Cheaper to replace the printer than the ink! About laser printers, do they print color??
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Never will forget when Panasonic came out with typewriter s. Light and cheap. The cartridge cost an arm and leg. Soon junked the machines. Same with ink jets. Cut your losses and buy a laser printer either color or black.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I detest inkjet printers. Laser printers are the only way to go. I once bought fabulous inkjet printers for myself, my daughter, my mother and my sister. I ended up tossing them all in the dumpster when the ink clogged the tubing inside them.

Keep in mind new printers no longer come with full ink cartridges. They've only got enough ink to get you started making you buy more ink. They could give you the printer for what they're overcharging you for the ink. Try Amazon or Ebay for your supplies and let the vendors ship it to your door.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
and you cleaned or purged the cartridges, Did you try to print in b/w?

If you did the furutre looks dim for that printer

Yes and Yes!

Printer worked fine before I changed cartridges.
Hayden & Jan
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
and you cleaned or purged the cartridges, Did you try to print in b/w?

If you did the furutre looks dim for that printer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
Did you take the plastic protectors off the new print cartridges? Also did you calibrate the printer?

Yes and Yes
Hayden & Jan
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Did you take the plastic protectors off the new print cartridges? Also did you calibrate the printer?
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.