cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tell which coax if for what?

Bmcgough3
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2000 infinity 35D and it didn’t have a video control system so I bought a Quest QS53E now my problem is none of the cables were labeled so I don’t know where any of them go. The TVs are the original tube style. The bedroom tv has 3 cables going to it they aren’t connected but they are labeled if that could help.
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
A tiny piece of alum. foil inserted into one end of the coax so the collar and the center conductor short out will allow you to use a multi-meter at the other end of the available coax cables. When the meter shows and open short you know you have found the right cable. Even finding multiple cables that beep let you know they are connected somewhere via a splitter. Generally, all the coax connections will be separate except the outside Cable TV connection which might run through splitters other than the wall plate with the power supply for the OTA TV antenna.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Bmcgough3 wrote:
Thank you! I guess I’m going to buy a tester today.

With all coaxes disconnected, stuff an F connector full of tin foil, and barrel connect it to a coax in question. Then go to the other end check for continuity.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
A bit of left-over coax, some cable ends, a battery, and a flashlight bulb, and you can make your own tester is just a few minutes. connect battery to coax, add a connector. connect light bulb to another piece of coax, and another connector, and you are in business. connect batter to one end of unknown cable, attach light to all other ends until it lights, and bingo! Be sure to add markers to the cables after you identify them.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Bmcgough3
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I guess I’m going to buy a tester today.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Of course you could use an alligator clip and a cheap, (sometimes free) ohm meter from Harbor Freight to do the testing.

The trouble with an alligator clip on the signal lead is that it will sometimes lean against the barrel nut and make a connection to the shield. Then all wires will ohm out if they go through a splitter.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Of course you could use an alligator clip and a cheap, (sometimes free) ohm meter from Harbor Freight to do the testing.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the tester. Though I do not have/use one myself (how I do it is a lot more work) but that is the easiest. There are two types of testers.

One is a radio transmitter with a directional receiver. You hook the tranmitter to the wire (Shield or nut or sleeve) and then "Track" it with the receiver. This will tell you WHERE teh cable goes but if more than one cable goes there...

The other one is a tone generator (Audio) and a speaker... You hook the generator to say the cable in the bedroom. then test each cable at the entaintement center and the one that goes BEEP.... Lable it "Bedroom"

then move the sender to another cable and repeat.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several years ago I got a gizmo called a “coax explorer tester” at Home Depot. It will identify 4 cables at a time. You connect the 4 sensors to 4 cables then connect the tester to your best guess of where they go and it tells you which one is right.

I forget what it cost but it wasn’t huge and I’ve needed it about a zillion times since. I seem to have a knack for disconnecting cables and getting confused about which is which, even after attempts at meaningful labeling.
Larry

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Tester

How to use
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox