cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HD Direct TV in the RV

Notthru2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Direct TV with Distant Network Services for about 10 years, as we travel about 9 mos. of the year and are in a home-base off and on for about 3 months. I have the old NON HD receivers and the single LNB dish. We have purchased a new town-home to use for our "off the road" home for those 3 months. I plan to change to HD Direct TV service. What will I need to purchase to use HD Direct TV service on the road? How should I approach this transaction to insure I still have Distant Network Services? I know some of you have been through this transition and have the answers I need. Thanks for your help.
2007 GMC 2500HD Classic, D/A, B&W Companion
2020 KZ Durango 5th Wheel 283RLT HT
8 REPLIES 8

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Notthru2 wrote:
I have been using Direct TV with Distant Network Services for about 10 years, as we travel about 9 mos. of the year and are in a home-base off and on for about 3 months. I have the old NON HD receivers and the single LNB dish. We have purchased a new town-home to use for our "off the road" home for those 3 months. I plan to change to HD Direct TV service. What will I need to purchase to use HD Direct TV service on the road? How should I approach this transaction to insure I still have Distant Network Services? I know some of you have been through this transition and have the answers I need. Thanks for your help.

I have RV E/W HD service plus local feed for my winter vacation location. Called and asked if I was good for Genie upgrade. Customer since 1996 YES they came out to my vacation house and installed a DVR HD Genie and wired Ginie Mini. Changed my house mounted dish to a LNB 5 with spliter to service the cabled Genie Mini. and a power inserter to power the dish SWIM. $3 a month more for the Mini No extra for the Genie DVR HD since I already had a HD DVR non Ginie. with 1/2 price install $24
Since I have tripod for the RV installer gave me free another LNB 5 and power inserter for my RV dish. Trick is call and ask if you are good for a upgrade and if you are at your service address. I have a service address even though I have RV mobile account.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I know that it does work but just repeating what DTV installs. If you don't push the limits like 150' or 8 channels maybe OK? This is the information that I got and might be a consideration for pushing the limits for say a portable dish.

"DTV is now using high quality RG6 coax, L1RC SMS Ultimate compression fittings and barrel connectors HF-81 with a yellow insert. The Genie uses additional coax bandwidth so this equipment is recommended. Our 8 year old compression fittings installed at home by DTV can have a coax shield contact problem and ours were all replaced by DTV when we upgraded to SWM."
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot I also have a outside compartment H25 that has R59 to it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
SWM is capable of transmitting 8 channels. DTV now installs higher quality/bandwidth coax and connectors. Existing coax may work OK or not.

A Genie will use 5 of those channels.

I don't know of a higher quality/bandwidth coax used other then RG-6
and my Genie is working fine on it from the Trav'ler and the older RG-59 from the Spliter to the rear bedroom HR-23 works great also.

I use RG6 between all of my components. No issues for over 5 years and 5 years ago I had Whole Home before the Genie. In addition to the HR44 Genie I have a HR24 in the bedroom.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
SWM is capable of transmitting 8 channels. DTV now installs higher quality/bandwidth coax and connectors. Existing coax may work OK or not.

A Genie will use 5 of those channels.

I don't know of a higher quality/bandwidth coax used other then RG-6
and my Genie is working fine on it from the Trav'ler and the older RG-59 from the Spliter to the rear bedroom HR-23 works great also.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the HR44 receiver and RF Mogul automatic dish for the RV. I move the receiver to the house when we're home. I would probably keep the DNS and install a dish at home based on what you posted.

With 2 different TVs the HR44 automatically detects and adjusts its settings with a HDMI connection.

With a Genie Client for a second TV you'll need a SWM splitter (only a few $) and the cost is about $7. A wireless client might also be a option, check out the equipment and the minimum distance installation restrictions to eliminate WiFi interference.

I purchased a second power inserter and remote so that they remain in the rig and house. The remote is RF only and my receiver is mounted vertically in a closed cabinet - ie no need for flat line of sight mounting.

Bob

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
If I am reading your post right you have an RV account now and no residential account? If this is correct you need:

DirecTV compatible dish. The only automatic one I know of is the Winegard TRAV'LER. It is not a portable and must be mounted on your roof. Not good if you are camping in an area with trees. I use a Slimline Dish and a tripod from tv4rv.com. It is easy to set up and has served me well for over 5 years.

You will need a new DirecTV receiver. The Genie HR44 is what I have now. I use the coax that is already run to the front of my rig from the a/v area to get the signal to the front TV, but a wireless Genie Mini would work also.

My wiring is:

DirecTV Slimline dish connected to the sat in connector on the side of my rig. A broadcast TV ant input could be used, but you would have to make sure the signal booster was removed.

DirecTV Power inserter, SWM compatible signal splitter, Genie HR44, rear TV.

If you plan to use a wireless Genie Mini you wouldn't need the SWM splitter. If you will use the coax to the front TV then you would need the splitter and another receiver DVR or Genie Mini up front.

I would upgrade my RV account to the new Genie as described above and when in your new condo just move the Genie inside with a hard mounted dish. Otherwise you will have to have 2 accounts. I know people that have a residential account and take their home receiver with them in their RV. This is the reverse of that and you keep your DNS also.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010