cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the previous query on this in General, I'm almost afraid to ask, but I'm considering a GPS tracker for my truck and 5er.

The Optimus GB100 looks like a good one. Anybody else do this?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
21 REPLIES 21

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
If they have your stuff you can bet yours isn't the first one they've done.
Nope. I'm sure there's statistics on how many crimes they've committed before they get caught.

We could sometimes tell who the burglar or thief was by the methods they used or what they stole. One would only steal a certain type of riding lawn mower. We knew when we started seeing JD mowers being stolen that Twig was back in the area. He would only steal JD mowers. Had another burglar who when in a house always fixed himself a meal and then did a job in the bathroom but never flushed. Actually that's fairly common. Another if there was a clock next to the bed in a house he hit he always unplugged the clock.
Camped in every state

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
If they have your stuff you can bet yours isn't the first one they've done.
Nope. I'm sure there's statistics on how many crimes they've committed before they get caught.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
We've recovered firearms from pawn shops that were stolen over 25 years earlier.
Wow

Had another 'interesting' experience. Reported a guitar stolen. Detective was investigating perp for another theft, saw what appeared to be my guitar at perp's house, recovered guitar, I got it back. A little out of the norm, but hey, I wasn't complaining.

That's usually what we found when busting a thief. Find them with hot stuff from one burglary and they'll have stuff from others they've committed and leads to stuff they've already gotten rid of. That's how theft cases are made. If they have your stuff you can bet yours isn't the first one they've done.
Camped in every state

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok do you want to track you or your Car?
Cars (And trucks and SUVs) come in two flavors for this post

Some have GPS tracking already installed (ON Star or On Guard (GM/Ford and contractors in both cases True story follows.

Most cars have an OBD II connector and most cell companies have a device youc an plug into it. IT sends some data to the phone app including location of car.. I'd like to see it send diagnostic data but no joy on the one I tried.

Finally.. if you are worried about your OWN safety. not your car driving off without you.. Your Cell phone most likely has that built in.. Mine has at lest 4 ways... make it 5.. it can be tracked (I forgot Enhanced 9-1-1)

Sadly not all 9-1-1 centers are enhanced thus I have a public URL I can give that tracks my phone if I activate tracking.

Almost forgot story
I'd been briefed on On-Star (totally by accident) when I went to pay my phone bill and walked in on a Sales presentation.

So when I got a BOL (Be On Lookout) for a stolen Cadillac Esclade (They come with OnStar standard) I contacted the entering agancy and gave them the phone number. Inside of 20 minutes I was sending my troopers to an Address... where they found said Escalade. Vehicle recovered.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
We've recovered firearms from pawn shops that were stolen over 25 years earlier.
Wow

Had another 'interesting' experience. Reported a guitar stolen. Detective was investigating perp for another theft, saw what appeared to be my guitar at perp's house, recovered guitar, I got it back. A little out of the norm, but hey, I wasn't complaining.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
I'd like to read a statute that allows someone, even a pawn shop, to possess stolen property.
Nope. My experience is they have to hold the item for a specified period of time before it's considered "not stolen."

Had an item stolen in Seattle, found it in a pawn shop, got a cop, got it right back.

A stolen item is never considered "not stolen" until it's recovered. We've recovered firearms from pawn shops that were stolen over 25 years earlier.
Camped in every state

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
I'd like to read a statute that allows someone, even a pawn shop, to possess stolen property.
Nope. My experience is they have to hold the item for a specified period of time before it's considered "not stolen."

Had an item stolen in Seattle, found it in a pawn shop, got a cop, got it right back.
Yes, I imagine you're correct. I was wrong about what I supposed was factual advice.

I'm very sorry about that, and will try to do better in the future. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I have a GPS tracker well hidden in my RV. It is wired to my battery bank and work's perfect all the time.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, in Missouri, if that stolen property ends up in a pawn shop, it will cost you to get it back, with or without the authorities. Stupid rules IMO.

Cite that statute please. I'd like to read a statute that allows someone, even a pawn shop, to possess stolen property.
I worked several burglaries where property ended up in MO pawn shops. We had no problem getting warrants to seize it from MO pawn shops and bring it back into IL.
Camped in every state

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Of course once you locate it, you'll have to find someone in authority to go get it. Trying to get authorities to go get your property could be...interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚
Well, aren't you the negative nelly?
Often just a realist. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, in Missouri, if that stolen property ends up in a pawn shop, it will cost you to get it back, with or without the authorities. Stupid rules IMO.

On Edit:

This is completely wrong and was based on my wrong idea, from some years back. I wrongly assumed, yeah I know "assume", that the person speaking actually knew what he was talking about. Wrong-O. So completely ignore this absolute load of rubbish, and just consider the source. ๐Ÿ™‚

You can get your goods back from a pawnbroker/pawnshop. There are quite a few hoops to jump through, but it absolutely can be done.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rlw999 wrote:
This might be a good use of an Apple AirTag.
I like it. I have a cat I may want to track too!

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Of course once you locate it, you'll have to find someone in authority to go get it. Trying to get authorities to go get your property could be...interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry I don't understand this. If your property is stolen and you can tell law enforcement exactly where it is, why is that a problem? I am sure the insurance company would be happy as well.

You won't have a problem with LE provided there's not some emergency that takes priority. What you're wanting to do is the same principle as LoJack which has been operational for well over 40 years. We had some of our squads fitted with LoJack receivers listening for a LoJack beacon indicating a stolen car in the area.
If you call and tell LE your stolen camper, whatever, is at a given location and you have a tracking unit on it that's a pop fly. Some people are showing they know less about tracking stolen property than they do LE and they don't know very much about LE.
Camped in every state