cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Google and Picasa

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Picasa but want to get away from Google anyone have suggestions for another free photo program?
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport
14 REPLIES 14

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I downloaded Infan and it looks like it will do everything I need and then some.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
You can edit photos online with Flickr and Photobucket that I use but I suspect most photo library websites have adequate tools to do basic editing. Editing on the digital camera is difficult because the tools are clunky and the LCD screens on most are not the greatest to judge results. Smartphone cameras and tablets are better because their screens are a lot better and there are a wealth of apps you can use. But the best editing comes on a computer. On my MacBook Pro with Retina display I rarely have to go much beyond just using the Apple software iPhoto to fix and improve a photo.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried some of the editing software that comes with a camera, and it's usually pretty clunky and limited in scope.

Peggy uses Picasa (not the online version) for managing her photos. I use IrfanView for resizing and minor editing, and PaintShopPro (not free) for more serious work.

You might try MSPaint that comes with Windows for stuff that needs a bit more work. I've not tried it, but I've heard that it does a pretty good job.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
garry1p wrote:
Just minor touch ups nothing sophisticated.

I had the earlier version of Picasa and really liked it but it went away when I uninstalled Google+update I don't care about photo sharing or cloud storage.Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Why don't you'all use the editing software that comes with your camera?

I do all my editing with the software that comes with all the digital cameras. I can do everything that the online software can do with OUT compromising my computer. I refuse to use anything internet anymore. And most certainly NOTHING associated with google.

Don't understand why the need to go on line for pix editing.

Perhaps when you set your camera up you missed the included free editing software that is installed at the same time?

I just bought a new Sony camera but liked the editing program from my Olympus so I do all my editing from my Sony on the Olympus editing software - all off line. Maybe people don't know you can do that?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
ncscz wrote:
For simple edits & re-sizing try Irfan . Much simpler than Photo Shop but can do a wide range of edits. Windows only application very small download.

X2
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
For simple edits & re-sizing try Irfan . Much simpler than Photo Shop but can do a wide range of edits. Windows only application very small download.
CarriGo
Model 2320

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Picasa without going to Google, to manage a 30,000-40,000 images from other people. I don't use the editor, so can't speak for it.

I used Photoshop Elements, versions 8 through 10, for managing my own photographs, and for running my scanner. But Elements started choking when I got up to about 30,000 images per library (kept several) and I wanted the full RAW processing functionality of Camera RAW, so I switched my own work over to Lightroom, though I will occasionally pop something into the Elements editor.

But you wanted "free" and Adobe's photo management and editing programs are not free of charge, though I find $100-150 quite reasonable for what I get.

I am familiar with GIMP. If image processing is what you want, GIMP is the most functional free tool. If cataloging is what you want, and you are working in Windows, then Picasa is the best cataloging tool. I have used a couple of the Linux photo managers (F-Spot and Shotwell) but that just pushed some of my work back to Window and Picasa.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about using GIMP with windows, but I use it with Linux and it is totally free with no ads or other hoops to jump through.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Just minor touch ups nothing sophisticated.

I had the earlier version of Picasa and really liked it but it went away when I uninstalled Google+update I don't care about photo sharing or cloud storage.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at PhotoScape and see if that meets your needs. Its free, no ads, good program.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gimp For windows might work. It is photoshop "like" especially if your looking for editing etc. What are you looking for it to do?
Also , Why Free? If your leaving Google for the advertising and privacy issues ( My assumption) I think you'll find nothing is "free" Free programs have a cost in giving up something like ads privacy etc. Pay for a program and be"free" of the intrusion.
Bill

MrWizard
"gimp" is free and comparable to photo shop in many aspects

i have an OLD version of Picassa, its on my PC, NOT the cloud, my pix do not go anywhere unless I upload them to 'photobucket'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you wanting your photo program to do? Just managing photos, or also editing and/or photo-shopping?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
I've heart that Picasa isn't that bad, but it's somewhat limited, too. Might consider switching to Photoshop Elements.
๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn