cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go Anywhere Direct TV app

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the AT&T store yesterday updating our phone service and of course they are also selling direct tv. We currently have dish and use a tailgater. The tech told us that direct tv app on our phones can be viewed on the tv with the use of a chromecast that plugs into a hdmi port on the tv. He step us up with the app and setup home installation this Saturday. Well apparently this does not work because direct has a video block that prevents this. The phones work fine but we need it on the tv. Guess I am going to cancel the direct and stick with dish since I already have the equipment. If what he said worked it was a lot cheaper and would not need a portable dish.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD
28 REPLIES 28

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
Ulvik, sorry if I sounded a little testy, didn't really mean it. I used an old iPhone 5 that I just use with WIFI. I have netflix. I hooked the cable to the phone and plugged it directly into the TV HDMI connector. I ran a movie on netflix on the phone and it was mirrored on the TV. I'm not an expert but it worked for me. Good luck on getting it to work for you. FYI, I normally just cast it to the TV using Netflix. I probably won't ever use it, just keeping as an option.

No worries Gemert! Have a wonderful day!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Apple doesn't like to play with others....again. My Samsung S5 will share picture via Directv App with the TV via the Roku 3 device. Guaranteed.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

MrWizard
if its an OLD phone on "Wi-Fi", then its Not using cellular Phone data
its not using the ATT DirectTV Fee subscription add on , data movie option

which is at the Heart of this discussion
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Ulvik, sorry if I sounded a little testy, didn't really mean it. I used an old iPhone 5 that I just use with WIFI. I have netflix. I hooked the cable to the phone and plugged it directly into the TV HDMI connector. I ran a movie on netflix on the phone and it was mirrored on the TV. I'm not an expert but it worked for me. Good luck on getting it to work for you. FYI, I normally just cast it to the TV using Netflix. I probably won't ever use it, just keeping as an option.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Will not work at all from your phone or tablet to TV. It will not transmit over because of a block. Trust me I tried everything.

Did you try an Android device? Mine works fine

No regretfully I have an IPhone. But you said you can use the directtv app on Android definitely correct? I want to do this because the direct tv app does not use my data.

I shot this video this morning. Sorry I had the tv muted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy8oJgf7aaw

Thank you very much if you don't mind me asking what phone are you using? Looks like it is time for a new phone! Thank you again. Also I noticed you shot the video at home but this will work on the road when WIfI is not available correct?

I have an LGG4. Can't answer if it will work on the road at this time

Thank you again Badger you have been a great help!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
jeffo wrote:
I watched gemert's youtube video and all I saw was commercials. Mine would work on the commercials both not on the actual program. Believe me it's blocked.

If you mean my video, you didn't watch the whole thing, Supernatural is near the end.

This is the last one i'm doing for the non believers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy1I0lQZPAA&feature=youtu.be
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
I watched gemert's youtube video and all I saw was commercials. Mine would work on the commercials both not on the actual program. Believe me it's blocked.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:
I got to amend my previous post because I hooked up my iPhone 6 via hdmi cable to my tv and I could not get picture but did get sound. Some block must be in the app. Has anyone had success by streaming via Apple TV.

You have to wait for gemert to answer. He says his works with I phone
and
2009 Nomad 3980

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I got to amend my previous post because I hooked up my iPhone 6 via hdmi cable to my tv and I could not get picture but did get sound. Some block must be in the app. Has anyone had success by streaming via Apple TV.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Will not work at all from your phone or tablet to TV. It will not transmit over because of a block. Trust me I tried everything.

No regretfully I have an IPhone. But you said you can use the directtv app on Android definitely correct? I want to do this because the direct tv app does not use my data.

Thank you very much if you don't mind me asking what phone are you using? Looks like it is time for a new phone! Thank you again. Also I noticed you shot the video at home but this will work on the road when WIfI is not available correct?

I have an LGG4. Can't answer if it will work on the road at this time
and
2009 Nomad 3980

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the same thing by ATT. I told them that unless it goes to the DVR so I can skip the ENDLESS commercials, I was not interested.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:

As I said earlier, the iPhone works! WIFI is not involved in the transmission to the TV, just the cable. Just buy the cable from Amazon. I'm not going to make you a video, believe it or not! Your call.

Already have the HDMI adapter for my Iphone and sorry but it did not work on my iPhone nor my wifes. I even took it to the AT&T store and they could not get it to work on any of their phones. Sorry I don't believe it. No need to get offended!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:

As I said earlier, the iPhone works! WIFI is not involved in the transmission to the TV, just the cable. Just buy the cable from Amazon. I'm not going to make you a video, believe it or not! Your call.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains