Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

free streaming video

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I'm probably going to loose my Netflix access in the near future.

I've tried each of the below and they seem to work in Canada.

Anyone want to check them in USA?

streamvideo
tubi
pluto
plex
internet archive
Vudu
Movies Found Online
Kanopy (need library card)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
27 REPLIES 27

MrWizard
VPN are not illegal,
There are no laws against using a VPN,
Using a VPN to watch a British Television show from Florida or Australia because the BBC doesn't want to supply it to them , is not against the law, it's the 2023 version of using a multiband shortwave radio to listed to distant forgien Radio stations, if the BBC or any other service AKA YouTube is putting cost free streaming on the internet does geo-blocking to Web users, because your web IP address is not regional to them, it's dumb, it's short sighted, as it curtails possible viewership, I was NOT suggesting doing anything illegal, only suggesting using a VPN when out of town , would allow a person to watch the same video streams as when at home base, vpns are geographic by Nation , you can choose the server IP by country , you can camp in Texas and have the VPN use a server in France or Australia, AFAIK this is not be TEXAS and choose New York or Calif,
And your paid services usually don't care where you are, because you use your personal account and login to access them,
I have Amazon Prime for over ten years, I know the IP address for my Verizon Phone changed Everytime I moved the RV, but whenever I turned on the computer and logged in to watch a TV series or movie on prime video, it worked , I didn't have a VPN then and don't now, my account, my device, my yearly PMT,
Vpns add a level of privacy and security not obtainable by other means, I just have not felt compelled to use one .. Yet
But that day is not too far off ,
I'm above average when it comes to the internet and computers, but I'm not the IT super tech, that my son is, but he wouldn't be what he is if he had not followed my interest , I am more advanced in electronics and hardware than he is,
Any way I know the day is coming when I will choose a VPN service to use, many of you would be safer online if you used one,
My skill level has prevented me having the computer problems many of you have run into, and complicated your life, I have an Anti-Tracking Background service running on my phone and on this Tablet, we all know Google watches us, our browsing etc..
But very few people realize how almost every App on your phone is always running in the background with hidden data gathering services, analytical used for marketing and sold to other entities , thousands of pieces of data collected everyday your name device location, what you are doing with that phone
Here are a few screen shots, if you are concerned about privacy , this should scare you, almost 200,000 tracking attempts blocked in the past 7 days,

The first image is just a few of the apps container trackers from other apps or data companies, AKA. Data mining

Click For Full-Size Image.

The image below is some of the trackers in One app, I enjoy this app.. America's Best Pics & Videos, These are trackers inside this app collecting data , I am Not on Facebook, I do not have a Facebook account, Facebook should not be paying ABPV to include it's tracker and be collecting my info, I am not a Facebook user !! Google 4700+ attempts too track data, Facebook 1003 attempts too track data, and this is from inside ABPV

This image below, is all the data Facebook is trying to collect about me, I am not on Facebook, Now please understand, Face book is just one of the trackers in ABPV there are many more, most of which are strictly data mining companies collecting and selling data , Branch Metrics is another tracker collecting the same data, one of many trackers, the number of trackers is different for each app, and some trackers collect less data than Facebook tracker, the Google tracker is in every free app you download from play store, and it collects a huge amount of data,

This is a long image, a full list of the Trackers in ABPV, listed for each tracker is the number of tracking attempts, and a number under saying how many more data items that tracker was trying to collect,
Example 26 more, 15 more, etc
If I expanded the list to show every item in each tracker the image would be 20 times longer than what is shown

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

The reason I brought it up is my understanding is the forum rules prohibit recommending illegal activities.

Got it, Perhaps I shouldnt post anything about the time I removed the tags on the sofa cushions, then sold the whole thing to someone else on Craigslist. I've been sweating about that one for years.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
valhalla360,

My netflix access is through a shared account based in Florida.

Netflix is no longer encouraging shared accounts. My profile is listed. But I access Netflix in many locations--mostly in Canada.

So they may, or may not, cut off my access.

I don't use a vpn. Perhaps I should say I won't use a vpn to spoof a system.

If you log into the Canadian Netflix site from Canada using a legitimate account, you are fine as the Canadian site has copyright to the shows on the Canadian site and Netflix knows who you are and can take action if your account shouldn't have access in Canada.

Using a vpn, is perfectly legal in most cases. It's using it for illegal purposes (in this case more of a civil rather than criminal issue) where you can in principal run into problems.

So far there has been only token efforts to stop it. My suspicion is that Netflix is only interested in providing plausible deniability, if someone is looking for deep pockets and tries to drag them into a copyright lawsuit. They want to be able to point to the terms & conditions and say that it was the user tricking the system and Netflix played no active part.

But as mentioned, so far no one is making much of a fuss about it. Of course, there are plenty of people straight up pirating who get away with it because enforcement at the consumer level is negligible.

The reason I brought it up is my understanding is the forum rules prohibit recommending illegal activities.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
key word is "may" be pirating the video. Ho Hum and you can buy a self flogging whip on ebay, I hear.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Ironically, this may or may not effectively the same as pirating as it may violate local copyright laws.

So while everyone does it...it's not greatly different from pirating.

Well shiver me timbers, quite the hornswaggle ye scallywag, Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Where are the video cops when you need them?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360,

My netflix access is through a shared account based in Florida.

Netflix is no longer encouraging shared accounts. My profile is listed. But I access Netflix in many locations--mostly in Canada.

So they may, or may not, cut off my access.

I don't use a vpn. Perhaps I should say I won't use a vpn to spoof a system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MrWizard wrote:
The best option is to get a VPN subscription, this way you choose the geographical location that you want the media stream service to see as your location, Canda,,Britain, Australia, France, this way you can stream video not available to USA servers, all VPN services advertise this fact and list it as one of their advantages along with privacy and security

Ironically, this may or may not effectively the same as pirating as it may violate local copyright laws.

Netflix may hold the rights to the show "Friends" in the USA but not in Canada. So if you are in Canada and you spoof the system to think you are in the USA, you are in violation as the copyright holder in Canada isn't receiving their copyright fees.

If Netflix owns the rights to the show in both countries, its more of a gray area. Probably more of an accounting and taxation issue as the profits and costs don't line up with the international branches of Netflix.

It's really shocking that the VPN companies advertise this and no one has pursued a case against them.

I suspect some of it is it gets messy with multiple jurisdictions and then you have situations where if Netflix does hold rights in both countries.

So while everyone does it...it's not greatly different from pirating.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently in the US and running a Roku stick and all the channels operate good except CBC Gem, Global or CTV, they don't because I am in the US.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

MrWizard
PT I have tubi, Pluto, Plex, crackle, Filmrise , and Roku apps, they all work for me,
If you want to get programming from Canada that does not come thru using USA internet servers The best option is to get a VPN subscription, this way you choose the geographical location that you want the media stream service to see as your location, Canda,,Britain, Australia, France, this way you can stream video not available to USA servers, all VPN services advertise this fact and list it as one of their advantages along with privacy and security
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Joebedford,

All the ones I listed work in Canada. But there are over 50 in total. I
guess the only one that does Canadian content would be the one that requires a library card.

Saying the three words no man likes to say.

"I don't know"
Regards, Don

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna: since you're from Canada, this seems relevant: do any of these streaming services offer Canadian content?

We probably won't have Shaw Direct next winter because of an aged-out sat.

I'm not sure I'll be able to survive the whole winter without TV.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Amazon Firestick and Roku give you access to many of the streaming sites listed along with a number of others. You only pay for the devices to get them set up and they're fairly inexpensive - there's no continuing charges after that. An added benefit of the Firestick, if one has DishTV at home, is the Dish Anywhere APP which allows you to watch all your Dish channels and local stations over the Internet. (I believe you can install a Roku APP on the Firestick and run it from there as well once you have an account set up, but as I recall you need to set up the account thru an actual Roku first.)

The other thing I've done in my RV for when I'm camping with limited or no Internet is to download a lot of old favorite movies and TV series onto a Neumi Atom 4K device (www.Neumitech.com) that, like the Firestick and Roku, interfaces to the TV (or HDMI switch) via HDMI connection. To download the movies and TV shows I use the StreamFAB application on my home Desktop. It has access to a number of the streaming sites listed and has the ability to remove the ads from anything downloaded as well. I do post-process what I download to get SD, HD and FHD formats that are compressed for the Neumi to save space and get more loaded on the MicroSD card I use, but that's not an absolute requirement for the Neumi.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, they work fine in USA and are just a few of the many free streaming services I use. There are others such as Crackle, Filmrise, etc. and many more such as free YouTube movies of my favorite oldies. I dropped my Netflix subscription as I found their commercials disgusting and did not care for their modern movies or actors. None of my favorite older actors were carried by Netflix, etc., etc.

I also have Screenpix for $3.00 a month and a member of Amazon Prime Video for $14.95 a month with good selection of new, recent and older movies and actors. I am doing fine without Netflix or HBO.