cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash finally coming to an end

Flash Player has been a consistent source of web security vulnerabilities, and Adobe announced back in 2017 that it planned to ax Flash in the coming years. That date is finally here, and Flash Player end-of-life will be on Dec. 31, 2020. Adobe will also actively block Flash content from running beginning Jan. 12, 2021. This should not be an issue for those who use the latest browsers and apps, as Flash Player has already been deprecated in favor of newer standards.

You can find more details at Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page
11 REPLIES 11

MrWizard
Adobe has owned flash for a long time, over 10 years,
I only made my comment about flash not for pdf, because there was a comment about what to do about pdf, and for me there has never been a correlation between Flash and PDF, Adobe's PDF desktop publishing goes back to the early days of the Macintosh pc, and was the number 1 reason for corporate use of the Mac, and by many writers along with Adobe Illustrator for creating drawings it was the start of the revolution in word proscessing moving the job from dedicated mini computer systems with numerous terminals to desktop pc's, smaller business could now create, manuals and other documents in house, then send it to the print shop, instead of using consultant to take the info and notes and create a draft that would be sent to the printer, of course a new layer of proof reading was needed, to look for typos and mistakes
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I am not mistaken, the reference to Adobe was because Adobe now owns Flash and Shockwave since acquiring Macromedia".

Thanks jhgerhart for that comment.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
I'm using Rosetta stone to learn Arabic and Italian right now and up to about a week ago it was still using Flash. One day it just stopped using it and automatically switched to something else. But it is a web based course so it probably was initiated at source. Anyway. There is life after Flash.

Cheers

jhgerhart
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I think flash was more about displaying animated adv content, gifs etc.. And shock wave animations and games , I still have some that I modified, or created, used to do some stuff for cellphone mods, even a few easy PC games,
Ported a few from phone to pc, and pc to phone
Doing the programming on my laptop
Some wallpaper and clock slideshow apps for the phone,
I never thought of flash when reading PDF documents
Never thought PDF when creating shockwave content
Adobe Acrobat is for documents

If I am not mistaken, the reference to Adobe was because Adobe now owns Flash and Shockwave since acquiring Macromedia.

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Chromebook.
Recently I receive a few messages from Adobe to restart the machine in order for the Flash Update to take place.
What should I do ? Restart the Chromebook or not ?

MrWizard
I think flash was more about displaying animated adv content, gifs etc.. And shock wave animations and games , I still have some that I modified, or created, used to do some stuff for cellphone mods, even a few easy PC games,
Ported a few from phone to pc, and pc to phone
Doing the programming on my laptop
Some wallpaper and clock slideshow apps for the phone,
I never thought of flash when reading PDF documents
Never thought PDF when creating shockwave content
Adobe Acrobat is for documents
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
deltabravo wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Do you have a 'removal' link? Thanks in advance.

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, find Flash in the list and uninstall it.

And will that remove it from browsers such as firefox etc?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, find Flash in the list and uninstall it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate this happening haha... I unfortunately use the FLASH for my ONLINE RADIO SCANNER. I can't afford the real radio scanners anymore... Flash gives me a display when the channel is being used...

I know there is a dashboard out there to do the same thing but it only works if you are paying a yearly fee...

I will work around it but have been using the FLASH program for many years here. I have a good eight channels that I monitor when on-line here in my radio room... Always like to have a good Local Police Scanner going in the back ground haha...

We will overcome the change haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TY for posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad