cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Network cannot be trusted!

rctour
Explorer
Explorer
In 1/2013 I purchased a Dish ViP211k receiver from Camping World but within six month with numerous problems I called Dish to cancel my account. After receiving error messages for the umpteenth time, THEY said I needed a different box but it would cost $80+ dollars. I told them to cancel my account; I wasn't paying anything more for their service. The tech person said there would be no charge for the exchange box, to give it a try and send back mine; I said okay we'll give it a try. Within a couple of days the exchange is made and all is well. Two days later on 7/6 I have no channels because they suspended my account for lack of payment of the $80. How did that happen, I didn't know, I had auto-pay, on the same day 7/6 they emailed me saying they received my normal payment on 7/4 and thanking me? One day I'm up-to-date, two days later I'm suspended, seemed crazy to me so I called.

The problem is with the tech who told me there would be no charge for the exchange; didn't note that in their computer. Instead he wrote that I refused their product insurance and that he waived the postage costs, there was never talk about insurance! No mention that I would have cancelled the service without a free exchange receiver. Today they are willing to waive the $80 if I'll buy their insurance and continue their service. I simply don't feel I owe them anything, nor do I want their service any longer.

Caveat, the reason I'm posting this is to warn you of what can happen when a tech is not honest with you on the phone. I assume they get a star on their badge for saving a customer, but they are absolutely willing to submit untrue statements and cheat you for it.
2017.5 Lance 2295
2021 Silverado Duramax
10 REPLIES 10

ghiotom
Explorer
Explorer
Been with Dish for 10 years and they have always been very forthright with me, no complaints.
2018 Sprinter/Thor Four Winds 24HL

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been with Dish since 1989. Remember the old 3 meter dishes? I've had at least five different types of dishes and probably a dozen receivers. I've experienced it all.

I've had both stellar and crappy service from Dish. Last year I had very crappy service from Dish when trying to add a Joey and Hopper to the sticks and bricks house. It took almost a week to get them to allow me to keep one account that included the MH and the house. Finally was connected with a supervisor stateside who had authority. Found out that lower level personnel were merely reading from their cookbook.

We turn the Traveler and Tailgator on and off several times a year as well as change our service address as we travel and snowbird. Each change requires calling Dish. Not one problem in two years.

When using Dish tech support you never know if you are going to get a person stateside or overseas. However, it seems that more and more of their tech support people are now located stateside.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered and paid for two new remotes from Dish. I got an email stating that I had the insurance and they had credited my credit card for the two remotes. I did not have to ask, they just did it. Doesn't sound like a crooked company to me. It sounds to me like you had a rep key in the wrong code. Why didn't you ask for the agent that you talked to before and get it corrected? I assume you made note of who the agent was.

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
If you think Dish is bad....don't try to call Comcast. We were charged for two months AFTER we returned our equipment. They also tried to charge me for a modem that I purchased outright.
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Wait until you cancel and see your ETF charge.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
If you call the number that is for RVers, you will not have the problems that the regular customer service number causes.....Been a Dish customer for 17 years and never have any problems with billing or service. I do require an email from the dish agent immediately following any conversation, with the request and the dish answer to my request. Saves many possible heartaches.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased my own equipment from an authorized Dish dealer over the internet and installed it myself. I couldn't activate it with Dish as they said the receiver was invalid. I called the dealer I bought it from and he set me up with a month-to-month account with the channels I wanted. After a year I received a bump in my monthly fees for insurance on my receiver and against future price increases. I called Dish, explained to them I owned the receiver (which their records indicated) and that I didn't care about insurance for a guaranteed service price. They removed the insurance rider and refunded the extra charges that where posted on my account. Haven't had a problem since then and my price has been basically the same. Oh, the dealer also set me up with a Dish account so I can order movies, upgrades, channels, etc all from my computer directly with Dish.

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had a Dish hardware problem (we have a Joey/Hopper system) and I had service people all over me - phone, email, service tech on site. Everything was fixed and tested and back running less than 12 hours after I made the call. No complaints here.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

rctour
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
One person does not make a bad company. If it did, there would be no good companies.

I agree with your statement, but I spoke with 4 people after that with consistently poor results.

Their position is by default; "what's entered by an employee into the computer has to be correct." Well it wasn't!

I'm not talking about a home system, strictly RV service.
2017.5 Lance 2295
2021 Silverado Duramax

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
One person does not make a bad company. If it did, there would be no good companies.
We have had Dish for many years at home. And we have a vip211k and Tailgater in the RV and they have both worked very well. Customer service has always been very good when I have called and I have called frequently to change my service address as we travel. Only once have I had to call back a second time when the first rep changed our service address but forgot to change the local setting. Second rep immediately saw the problem and corrected it.