cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV..Troubleshooting Suggestions

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to troubleshoot a problem we are having with our Directv set up.

This is our equipment:
Winegard Traveler
2 - HD DVR's - HR24-500
SWM - Model PI21R1-03

About 3 weeks ago, we noticed a problem with the reception in the bedroom tv where we would lose a few seconds of programming at a time. The screen would freeze and then jump forward in the program. Didn't really think anything of it. When it got worse, I rebooted the DVR which didn't resolve the problem. Eventually, we noticed the same problem in the living room tv but not as often or for as long a period of time. I reset the SWM by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Problem solved for about 3 weeks.

Yesterday the problem started again. This time just by chance, I had set up the same program to record on both DVR's. The living room DVR recorded at least 20 minutes more of the hour long program than the bedroom DVR did. There were several large gaps in the bedroom DVR recording. That seems to point to a power problem to me - your thoughts?

This morning, I unplugged the SWM again and plugged it back in. time will tell if that helps again. Do these SWM's go bad? It was installed back in January 2016 at Quartzsite with the Traveler. Any other suggestions for what I can try to narrow down the problem?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
5 REPLIES 5

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
There still really old receivers. The newer Genies use wireless technology to transmit signal from the main box to the minis. You can move the genie and minis from home to RV easily enough. We do it all the time.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, most likely the receivers.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 made me realize that I am noticing the problem when watching recorded programs. We rarely watch "live" tv. I'm going to have to do more research to determine if the problem happens when we are watching in real time.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
You have really really old receivers. Its about to die. Upgrade to HR44 or HR54 Genies. Be sure NOT to let them upgrade you to a Genie2. It needs to have wifi connected to work.

they are two different receivers. by the way, they are the two newest ones we have. We have an R22-100 at our winter location casita.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You have really really old receivers. Its about to die. Upgrade to HR44 or HR54 Genies. Be sure NOT to let them upgrade you to a Genie2. It needs to have wifi connected to work.