Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Data Caps Starlink

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I hope this won't affect too many folks!

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/starlink-introduces-new-tos-with-fair-use-policy-data-cap-coming-fo...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
13 REPLIES 13

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here are the numbers so far:

25 to 180 download. There are, so far, short periods of disconnection. That will change as the number of satellites increases.

That makes it five times faster than the fastest ground based system in Iqaluit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sometime my SL takes up to 10 or 15 minutes to locate sat service. Makes me kinda nervous when it takes that long.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Nephew received his Starlink antenna and has installed it in Iqaluit Nunavut. The speed is 5 times faster than the previous connection.

The location is about 63.74452012575968, -68.49123176655321
Regards, Don

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I see that Starlink mobile rates are up again. Now $135/month. I suspect that this will be an ongoing trend.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
84/4 today.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm a single user. The most I ever have used is 120 gb in one month. I use 2 cell phones, one with Bell (50 gigs, then throttled to 0.54) and one with Sasktel (30 gigs, then throttled to 2 m/s)

Speed on Bell is 25 m/s down; in late afternoon that drops to 6.5 down and 8.2 up.

Speed on Sasktel is as much as 90 m/s down; currently 21 m/s and 10 up.

I find that on 2 m/s I can do pretty much anything I want. Even on the 0.54 I can watch netflix.
Regards, Don

Monthly data allowance of 1TB sounds more than enough for most subscribers.

I've never exceeding even close to 500GB in a month. Even-though, my wireless plan has no data caps.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ProjectMon wrote:
afidel wrote:

My kids managed to use >100GB in one day, this week, the last week we've used 378GB risk and that wasn't a particularly big week, during the pandemic I think our highest month was 3.5TB. We're fortunate enough to have uncapped cable, but I'm sure once it's just the wife and I on the road the Starlink speeds will be fine, just need enough to stream one show or do one video conference.

That is truly an amazing amount of data! I used to build large chunks of the Internet and huge data centers and you are passing more data than some of the data centers used... Your home usage is definitely not the use case for Starlink! Any chance you have looked at your traffic flows to make sure that is all you and not someone who has hacked some of your machines?

Yup, I know where the data is going, my router has breakdowns by protocol and destination and it's all legitimate traffic. Game updates, twitch streaming, etc.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:

My kids managed to use >100GB in one day, this week, the last week we've used 378GB risk and that wasn't a particularly big week, during the pandemic I think our highest month was 3.5TB. We're fortunate enough to have uncapped cable, but I'm sure once it's just the wife and I on the road the Starlink speeds will be fine, just need enough to stream one show or do one video conference.

That is truly an amazing amount of data! I used to build large chunks of the Internet and huge data centers and you are passing more data than some of the data centers used... Your home usage is definitely not the use case for Starlink! Any chance you have looked at your traffic flows to make sure that is all you and not someone who has hacked some of your machines?
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A lot of landline ISPs have caps at a similar level.

Unless you are a real data hog, it's a non-issue. If you are running 3-4 TVs at 4k resolution 10-12hr per day, sure, you will blow thru the data cap but with a little common sense, you shouldn't.

Keep in mind, you may want to look at using it smart. Cloud backups can be set for late night (which doesn't count toward the limit). Also, add on devices like firestick, may keep running if you simply turn off the monitor but leave the stick on and running.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ProjectMon wrote:
Got the notification and went and looked at my traffic statistics on my home router (FIOS). With two adults working from home, two kids watching loads of videos/gaming, and I host some gaming servers like Minecraft, we burned around 100GB last week. It sounds like someone would need to be a huge data hog to reach the point they get de-prioritized. From a quality of service standpoint, it essentially moves the user temporarily from permanent to RV service. I have run two Starlink antennas side by side, one permanent and one RV, my experience was that both were very useable (not as good as fiber but better than cellular data). On average, the RV unit tested out at about 1/2 the download bandwidth and about 2/3 the upload bandwidth of a permanent Starlink installation.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
Got the notification and went and looked at my traffic statistics on my home router (FIOS). With two adults working from home, two kids watching loads of videos/gaming, and I host some gaming servers like Minecraft, we burned around 100GB last week. It sounds like someone would need to be a huge data hog to reach the point they get de-prioritized. From a quality of service standpoint, it essentially moves the user temporarily from permanent to RV service. I have run two Starlink antennas side by side, one permanent and one RV, my experience was that both were very useable (not as good as fiber but better than cellular data). On average, the RV unit tested out at about 1/2 the download bandwidth and about 2/3 the upload bandwidth of a permanent Starlink installation.
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
So far RV service not affected. I'm seeing a lot of these little white antennas in my travels.