cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cloud Sharing of PDF files

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
For years I have use Picasa to share my travel photos with family and friends because it was the first free photo sharing site I found. When I use up my free space I remove the older photo albums (they are still on my desktop computer).

I use PhotoBucket to post photos to RV.Net because I can select only a few photo to post and I never delete any of the photo I post to PhotoBucket that is RV.Net.

I am now looking for a free place (5Gb is more than I will ever use) on the cloud to share documents. This will not be use for "employees working together on projects". We will not be opening and editing files. Simply to allow me to post a long document (either PDF or MS Word) so family members can read it from time-to-time

I am thinking about either GoggleDrive or MS OneDrive or DropBox.

Your input is welcome.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
12 REPLIES 12

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
KRumm wrote:
If you like Dropbox... Go to eBay and type in "Dropbox"...
There are seller who will upgrade your free storage account to 21gb for less than $5...
I wonder how that can do that.

My guess:
Dropbox gives out coupons sometimes, these folks either collected legitimate coupons they're selling, or have cracked the encoding scheme for the coupon and are generating fake coupons.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
I realize OP said he wanted free storage, but Amazon has unlimited cloud storage for photos, plus an extra 5GB for videos and other documents for $1/month. Almost free. Check it out.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
KRumm wrote:
There are seller who will upgrade your free storage account to 21gb for less than $5...
I wonder how that can do that.

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

You mention your Picasa storage gets full? Are you uploading HUGE pictures? If you limit the size of your uploads, your photo storage with Google is "unlimited", and does not count against your 5gb of "free" space for Google Drive, for sharing non-photo documents.

Years ago Picasa free storage was limited to about 1 or 2 GB. Now it is 15Gb (?)

I've lost track of what Google's free storage is, I've been subscribing to their 100gb tier for years. edit: i forgot I had an "off the books" google account, and yes, looks like it's 15GB free space shared by all services, including Picasa.

These links may be of interest to you:

High quality - Unlimited free storage.

How to Use Google Photos to Store an Unlimited Amount of Photos

The links are for Google Photos, which is the updated interface that will be replacing Picasa eventually.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to a pdf on my Google drive- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Rqi0WcAwQUOWxSWnZlR2htSDg/view?usp=sharing (It's the Accuslide slideout repair manual)- I left the link visible so you could see one.
-- Chris Bryant

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:

You mention your Picasa storage gets full? Are you uploading HUGE pictures? If you limit the size of your uploads, your photo storage with Google is "unlimited", and does not count against your 5gb of "free" space for Google Drive, for sharing non-photo documents.

Years ago Picasa free storage was limited to about 1 or 2 GB. Now it is 15Gb (?)
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
My family, and on another account my former workplace, have used Dropbox free version for years without any problems.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:

Google Drive has more space but everyone must have a google (G-mail) account to use it. Those are free too, so it's not a big deal. Again, check the free limits.

It's easier if everyone has a google account, but it's not required. you can choose to allow "anyone with the link" access to documents, photos, files, etc. only if you want to pick and choose access to specific files is when a google account becomes required.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Picasa, you have Google Drive - they're one in the same now, same storage space. I guess there's no reason you couldn't create additional free accounts, and use one for Picasa and one for Google Drive.

Dropbox's free account is pretty limited, 1 or 2gb I think. Their Windows client does allow for super easy sharing thought.

OneDrive used to be very generous, giving you 15GB for free, however they have limited that to 1 or 2gb now.

Just FYI, if you subscribe to Amazon Prime, you also have "unlimited" photo storage through Amazon Photos, restricted by size of the photo.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
coolmom42 wrote:
which is probably what you want to do with photos.

I did not intend to stop using Picasa for my photos.

Travel Photos

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
On dropbox.... you only get a certain amount free. I don't know what that is, but check and figure out how many photos you can put up. You get up to 1 TB for $99/yr. You can share by sending someone a link, but they cannot edit the file. They can download them, which is probably what you want to do with photos. If you put it so they can actively add to the folder, it uses THEIR dropbox capacity too.

Google Drive has more space but everyone must have a google (G-mail) account to use it. Those are free too, so it's not a big deal. Again, check the free limits.

I'm not a fan of the MS OneDrive, it's harder to figure out where your stuff is, and harder to work with.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board