Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fjryder said it .we,ve been doing it just as long as they have.and others.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I remember reading something very similar many years ago about "spying" code used in motherboard chipsets. I have little to no use for the "internet of things". IMO most of those "useful" options are just marketing points, and of very little actual use for the average person. I simply don't need for my refrigerator, microwave, toaster, and doorbell to connect to my network, and thence to the web.

The doorbell is nice. If somebody comes to the door while you are gone, you know it almost immediately. If they are legit, you can talk to them from your phone. If they aren't, you have them on video and know something is up.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
another reason to buy american
Yeah, good luck with that one. The only difference is who is doing the listening.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
another reason to buy american

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
liborko wrote:
Some interesting news:

EPT article

Thanks a lot for the link to that outstandingly clear and disheartening article!

Unfortunately, there are also some rather significant wrong facts in the article, or at least wrong conclusions.

There are many CPUs available for embedded use that have very well defined timing characteristics; that's the rule, rather than the exception, in that field (at least for low to medium end CPUs).

Spectre / Meltdown sorts of vulnerabilities are not a real concern for car brake systems or many similar things because they don't run arbitrary code in the first place, and don't have a means of introducing outside code. They often might not even have separate process memory spaces to protect from each other.

Undocumented instructions on a processor may or may not prove to be security vulnerabilities, but are probably there for reasons far from nefarious, such as production testing or simply as a side effect of how the processor is designed. Typically I would not expect them to be any more vulnerable to attack than documented instructions.

The "Internet of Things" is a giant recipe for potential trouble, though.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember reading something very similar many years ago about "spying" code used in motherboard chipsets. I have little to no use for the "internet of things". IMO most of those "useful" options are just marketing points, and of very little actual use for the average person. I simply don't need for my refrigerator, microwave, toaster, and doorbell to connect to my network, and thence to the web.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I have always wondered, what if these manufactures could just push a button (or issue some sort of command) to just shut everything down........

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Baby food, dog food, drywall, lead in toys....nahhh everything is fine, they care about us.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
liborko wrote:
Some interesting news:

EPT article

Thanks a lot for the link to that outstandingly clear and disheartening article!

I've been concerned about that kind of goings-on for decades, and as such severely limit our use of the "Internet of Things". This comes partially from my engineering career years working exclusively in the testing of integrated circuits for proper function before shipping to customers. Integrated circuits and all the supporting electronics around them can and do, fail - or otherwise not always perform as intended.

The above "natural flaws" possible in all ultra-complex electronic systems are in addition to all the possible clandestine use of electronic systems. In order for mankind to ultimately survive ... do we individually need all the computing on and off the Internet that we have and is continuing to come ... probably not.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
The chip they used fit on the head of a pin. Nobody noticed it for years.You can never trust the chinese. But truthfully, we did the same thing and got away with it for a long time.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.