cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

can't use gmail on 2 browsers

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
When I try to log in to my gmail accounts, I get a message that browser isn't secure. This happens in both Vivaldi and Brave. I can log in OK in Firefox. I've even tried using my secure mobile hotspot in my phone since I usually use public wifi, still no go. BTW, I'm using an Android tablet, if that's relevant.

The reason I have several browsers is because I'm trying out some newer ones. Thanks in advance for your replies. Ed
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
17 REPLIES 17

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
":To clarify my statement I should have split the two statements into separate sentences..

Vivaldi, MS Edge are Chromium derivative.

Brave is a FireFox derivative." end of quote.

Incorect! Brave is based on Chromium. Since Chromium is a Google product, I would think Gmail could be used on any Chromium based browser, like it does on MS Edge. Evidently, that's not always the case.

If it is built on Chromium, then why bother? May as well USE Chrome.

Just "because" something is designed with a base of something does not mean it will work as well or at all like what it is based off which is it's parent..

Chromium is the "parent" and other browsers based on it are "child", children, off spring which inherit SOME but not all traits of the parent.

Google doesn't support it and it doesn't even make the list of top 85 browsers in use. Therefore Google can and will ignore it with no consequences to them.

You got a free third party browser for nothing then complain that it doesn't work with the parent companies website using that parent companies OS (Android)..

Why not admit you were wrong about Brave being a Chrome derivative, instead of attacking them for something else entirely? Just say "OOPS" and accept you made a mistake.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
":To clarify my statement I should have split the two statements into separate sentences..

Incorect! Brave is based on Chromium. Since Chromium is a Google product, I would think Gmail could be used on any Chromium based browser, like it does on MS Edge. Evidently, that's not always the case.

If it is built on Chromium, then why bother? May as well USE Chrome.

Just "because" something is designed with a base of something does not mean it will work as well or at all like what it is based off which is it's parent..

Chromium is the "parent" and other browsers based on it are "child", children, off spring which inherit SOME but not all traits of the parent.

Google doesn't support it and it doesn't even make the list of top 85 browsers in use. Therefore Google can and will ignore it with no consequences to them.

You got a free third party browser for nothing then complain that it doesn't work with the parent companies website using that parent companies OS (Android)..

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
OP here. Well, I found a solution that works. I went o the app store and downloaded the Gmail app. Now I can use Gmail on Brave, and I'm a happy camper.

Note to responder who thought Edge and Brave are Firefox derivatives. No, they're both based on Chromium.

Glad you got something to work although another "App" had to be installed which bypasses your preferred browser (IE Brave) a 100% moot point.

As far as that "responder" goes, I think you may have mistook what I posted which went like this..

Gdetrailer wrote:

I believe Vivaldi is a Chromium derivative like MS Edge and Brave is a firefox derivative.. The problem is many websites go fishing for very specific minimum browser versions and often blocks or rejects browser versions that do not fall into the supported list.. In those case one may have to resort to faking out the website to believe it is dealing with a high enough version of Chrome, Edge, IE, FF..

To clarify my statement I should have split the two statements into separate sentences..

Brave is a FireFox derivative.

Now, if you read one of my last posts, you will also note that it might be possible to spoof what browser is being reported to the websites by changing the User Agent string.. But, it seems that changing that on Brave running on Android may or may not work or be easy to change.

But glad you solved your issue.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I went to app store and installed the Gmail app. I just click on that to access Gmail. Even though I'm not going through Brave, it's easier to do than opening Edge or Firefox to access Gmail.

note to the respondent who thought Edge and Brave are based on Firefox. No, they're both based on Chromium.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Well, I found a solution that works. I went o the app store and downloaded the Gmail app. Now I can use Gmail on Brave, and I'm a happy camper.

Note to responder who thought Edge and Brave are Firefox derivatives. No, they're both based on Chromium.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
cathanas wrote:
I use Brave exclusively and had no issue with my gmail accounts. I use Windows, Apple OS and IOS. I can't speak to an Android device.

OP here. Yes, same with me; on my other devices Brave works fine. For some reason it's just android. I'd like to see the folks at Brave somehow fix the issue so I can access Gmail, but I think somehow Google may be preventing that. :M

Not unusual at all depending on OS and security settings with the OS can cause lots of compatibility issues which may prevent some browsers from working correctly 100% on all platforms.

There is a part of all browsers called "user agent" which reports to website probes what browser and version is being used. Looks like it is a known issue with Brave and Android that the user agent may be reporting that the browser isn't compatible to the website using the automatic settings.

Per HERE

"Agree, it would be extremely helpful to be able to use custom/spoofed user agents.

A very useful and popular site (www.archive.fo) recently (as of today) doesnโ€™t recognize Brave as a supported browser.

It would be very helpful to be able to change the User Agent in Brave in settings to present at whatever browser you wished to avoid annoyances like this (and also to remember the settings for the specific pages)."

Brave does have a configuration setting available to allow you to change the user agent response from automatic to other browser versions which may get around your problem..

However, apparently that is easy to do on PCs and not Android..

See the webpage I linked above for more details.

For FF and Chrome, there is a add on called "User Agent Switcher" that you can add to your browser to make managing the User Agent easier.. Not sure if there is a version for Brave though..

I should ask, is there a specific reason you MUST have or use Brave?

From what I have looked at, I don't see any advantage to it and it is at the bottom of the pile as far as browsers in use..

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
cathanas wrote:
I use Brave exclusively and had no issue with my gmail accounts. I use Windows, Apple OS and IOS. I can't speak to an Android device.

OP here. Yes, same with me; on my other devices Brave works fine. For some reason it's just android. I'd like to see the folks at Brave somehow fix the issue so I can access Gmail, but I think somehow Google may be preventing that. :M

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. At least one of you nailed it; Gmail isn't supported on Brave (or Vivaldi, either). I like Brave and plan to keep using it, so I'll just need to go to my Edge or Firefox when I want to access Gmail. That won't be much of a hassle, and it's a good reason to have more than one browser installed. Maybe in the future, I may ditch Gmail and use one of my other email clients so I can use Brave without needing to switch browsers (I have several email addresses already) :C

Thanks again for all the assistance, folks! Ed

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spall chunk and auto-corrupt

But hey, we can now get down to the funny bone to keep the Dad jokes rolling..

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't try to strongarm this thread. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Although it is a bit humerus to think that one will reduce the personal data consumption while using Googles Gmail :S
I think it's more "humerus" to hold up your bicep.

cathanas
Explorer III
Explorer III

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP did mention they are using a Android Tablet, so Chrome is there by default.

I understand why OP is trying to not use Chrome, it is a personal data slurping browser, but, Android isn't squeaky clean either and slurps personal data also.. Privacy of either is not on the top of Googles list.

Although it is a bit humerus to think that one will reduce the personal data consumption while using Googles Gmail :S

You ARE "the product" your data is what makes it worth while for companies like Google to spend money on a OS and Browser and give it out for free.