Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Canadian Cell Phone & Internet Access Package

ZowieR
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am planning to RV throughout Canada and the US for a year and so am looking at the best and cheapest way to keep connected via the internet and cell phone service. Does anyone have a recommendation on which Canadian providers have the best coverage (voice and data)and the best rates? I was going to change providers once I got to the states but if there is a Canadian data and voice plan that covers the US as well that would be equal or cheaper it might be worth considering.

I know some people are using Magic Jack or Ooma but I am not sure how that would work. Any ideas on the use of Magic Jack through cellular internet would be appreciated. Would I need to keep my laptop on at all times to have the Magic Jack work with a regular phone hand set? Could I use a computer headset instead?

I know I could just rely on wifi hotspots along the way in cafes and some campgrounds but it would be nice to have access regardless via a gongle or hotspot antennia etc.

Anyone heard of satelite internet dishes for class b RV's?
10 REPLIES 10

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
For the US most providers have tolerable pay as you go voice and messaging plans. I have used ATT.

But, I am one who doesn't use voice a lot. I much prefer to use email first, and then messaging, to stay in contact. With Gmail I can manage all my email accounts. This type of data is what I would like to find for trave in the US.

In Mexico I have a basic Telcel pay as you go that I can keep active for very little money. Then when I am in Mexico I buy a 30 day data package for my smart phone, and can carry on using email and Web browsing the money I deposit every two months pays for the data plan. I just swap SIM cards in my unlocked smart phone.

Hamops
Explorer
Explorer
In Canada, we use our Bell Mobility service.

In the U.S., we have Verizon Unlimited Prepaid phones when we travel there. The Verizon service has worked well for us because we can make calls within the U.S. free of charge. This is great when you want to make contact with friends travelling in the U.S. or make reservations etc. With Verizon's unlimited plan, we can also text back to Canada at no cost.

As for Internet, we rely on the Wifi provided by the campgrounds. Some Wifi is good and others is lousy. We found that campgrounds that use Tengointernet as an internet provider is pretty good.

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover

2014 Avalanche 295
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera

ZowieR
Explorer
Explorer
My RV dealer put me onto something called iCoach.net out of Lindsay, Ontario for internet connectivity which would then let me use a Magic Jack for phone service. It seems really pricy and it probably works off of the major carriers ie Bell, Telus or Rogers/Shaw so the coverage would not be any better. They have a Canada/US Roaming package.

Keep the ideas coming....I suspect that having a US plan when in the states and a Canada plan for when in Canada will be the cheapest way to go.

What US cell carrier has the best coverage across all of the US? Verizon?

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize. I checked, and Telus indeed has a $30/30 day plan for voice, data (200 Mbyte) and messaging. They show it as a new plan. Now, to check the others to see what they may have added.

Check coverage in the area you are travelling. In BC Telus has more coverage in outlying areas, but can be sparse (just, like the other carriers) away from towns, and in the mountains.

Is there a plan like this in the US?

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Sea'scape wrote:
Canadian data plans (as do US, I believe) require a contract. This makes them not practical. Look to see if you can find some company such as roamobility. I plan to see what they have on my next US trip.

Rest of the world sell pay as you go data at a reasonable price.

Not so...
With Telus I bought the WiFi router outright for $200 and pay $10/month
I then pay only for data used.
When cottage season is over I call in and terminate, no fee.
Next year I pay $10 for a new sim card and carry on as before.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
When a friend if mine goes to Canada he uses something called Fido. Not sure of cost, but it doesn't require a contract. He just buys a sim card and whatever service he needs.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian data plans (as do US, I believe) require a contract. This makes them not practical. Look to see if you can find some company such as roamobility. I plan to see what they have on my next US trip.

Rest of the world sell pay as you go data at a reasonable price.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
There is no such thing as inexpensive Cel phone service in Canada!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Oldedit
Explorer
Explorer
We are using Telus for our trip through Canada to Alaska and back to the 48. The contract phone is good for local calls for free; long-distance is another charge. We used it twice in about a month in Canada. The WIFI card has been useless going up the Alaskan Highway. Several campgrounds offer free WIFI, making the card unnecessary.

In Alaska, our Verizon MIFI won't work on its Alaskan system, which is "extended. . ." because of some technology differences between AK and the lower 48, I'm told. So Verizon has been useless since we left SW Wyoming.

AT&T customers seem to be having better experiences.
2013 Itasca Reyo (T) 15.1 mpg 1st 10k miles.
2006 Roadtrek Adventurous '10 to mid '12. Averaged 19.8 mpg over 27k miles.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I can obly comment on what I use here at the cottage.
We only get Telus coverage for WiFi.
I use the Hotspot gysmo and so far I'm happy with it.
Telus Hotspot.