cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avoid Rear View Safety Products

Gordon_Akst
Explorer
Explorer
I am writing regarding my unsatisfactory experiences with Rear View Safety Inc. I found that their products were poor quality, and their customer service was terrible.

Rear View Safety advertises heavily in RV publications and websites. Their ads state:
โ€œRear View Safety cares about our customers"
and
โ€œCustomers come first and satisfaction is guaranteedโ€

I found both of these claims to be false.

In early 2011, I ordered a RVS 3-camera system for my motorhome. I received and installed it and found it satisfactory, although not as clear as the Winnebago system I replaced. After 2 ยฝ years, first one and then both of the side cameras fogged up badly. Within another month or so, one of them failed completely.
I contacted RVS and was told that they were out of warranty and could not be repaired. They said I could buy replacement cameras for $100 each for new and $80 each for refurbished.

In April 2014, I ordered and paid $210 for two new cameras. I specifically ordered new (instead of refurbished) to avoid another fogging problem. The new ones were installed in May 2014. We left on an extended road trip in early June, and by mid-June both cameras were already fogging.

I contacted RVS and demanded a full refund, telling them that I would return them when I completed my trip. I was told that if I returned them, they would replace them, but could not give a refund because it was longer than 30 days. It was about 60 days from the order date until they failed, but less than 30 days of use.

We exchanged several emails. I pointed out that they were asking me to do an additional remove and replace at my expense. I also said that I had 4 out of 4 cameras fail and they were asking me to have faith that 2 โ€œnewโ€ ones would not. RVS would not budge and insisted that the only thing they would do was replace the cameras after I returned the failed ones.

These cameras are poor quality. RVS stated several times that they were not functioning properly. I think there is no reason a well-designed and well-built camera should ever fog up, unless it is damaged. I had 4 out of 4 RVS side cameras fog up, 2 in less than 3 years, and 2 in less than ONE MONTH. They had not been damaged and there is nothing special about my installation. Therefore, I have to think there is something wrong in RVS camera design or assembly. Furthermore, I had no reason to think that another RVS camera would be any different. 100% is 100%. Nonetheless, they would not refund my money.

Moreover, Rear View Safetyโ€™s customer service was terrible. First, they refused to refund my money. Second, they refused to help with the on-road remove and replace if I accepted replacement cameras. They would not send them until I sent back the old, leaving me on the road with no cameras at all during remove, 2-way ship, and replace. Third, they would not help cover the remove, 2-way ship, and replace.

In addition, after purchase, I received an automated request for review of the product. I submitted a negative review on their site, but it was screened out. Some weeks later I resubmitted a negative review on their site, and it was also screened out. So RVS screens out negative reviews. How biased is that?

Finally, I wrote to the CEO, Gila Newman. Not only did she not do anything to help me, she didnโ€™t have the common courtesy to answer or have someone answer my letter.

It doesnโ€™t seem to me that RVS cares about their customers and certainly doesnโ€™t care about their satisfaction.

Gordon Akst
Gordon and Patti
07 Winnebago Voyage 35A
06 Saturn Vue
1 REPLY 1

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory