cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatically connect windows 10 PC to open WiFi?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to have windows 10 automatically connect to any open WiFi network and would that be safe? I have a windows 10 PC in my MH that is always on and I use McAfee VPN that is always running so it's on a VPN when connected. It would be nice to have it just connect to a network if there was one in range.
10 REPLIES 10

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't worry much about public wifi, use them pretty much all the time. But even I think connecting automatically to any open wifi is not a good idea.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Is there a way to have windows 10 automatically connect to any open WiFi network

No, it won't connect the first time, automatically. You must select the wifi network you want to connect to.

If you select "connect automatically" when you connected to it the last time, It will connect automatically If you are in range of that wifi again.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

APT
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Not that I am aware of for the first time. Once you connect then there is an option to re-connecct.. I don't do open wi-fi with my Computer... In fact I normally just connect to my phone if I'm out and about.

I agree with all of this. Why would you want to connect to open wireless? If you have nothing important on said computer, then maybe it's okay. But I do not use any public internet. Either secure wireless at home, mobile/cellular on the go, or the internet can wait.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
How I understand it, all a VPN does is take the existing wifi connection and routes to a server located someplace else in the world. That connection is 'secure', but you are still connected to the original wifi network as the starting point. It would be up to the built in windows firewall to provide the security for the initial wifi connection..

That's just how it was explained to me.. I might just be passing along incorrect info, but in general, it's usually not a good idea to just randomly connect to free wifi at all.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
That would be a major security problem and asking for trouble

but the OP said he always uses a VPN. wouldn't that offer protection?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be a major security problem and asking for trouble
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as I know automatically joining an unknown network is not supported, and you really donโ€™t want that. You should understand what networks your connecting to.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not that I am aware of for the first time. Once you connect then there is an option to re-connecct.. I don't do open wi-fi with my Computer... In fact I normally just connect to my phone if I'm out and about.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I find a bunch of them.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
apart from some retail stores, libraries, etc. are there any open wi-fi networks left?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle