cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AM/FM antenna wiring

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of replacing my TV AM/FM antenna and want to use a Winegard Air 360.  One problem is that Winegard recommends using coaxial cable to run from the antenna to the radio.  The existing wire is just that, wire with audio plugs.

Will plain wire be an adequate substitute for coaxial cable for this purpose?
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y
2 REPLIES 2

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
You are right. I have discovered that the small wire is coax. I had only seen the much larger versions and thought that the small wire was not coax.

One less thing to worry about.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
I am in the process of replacing my TV AM/FM antenna and want to use a Winegard Air 360.  One problem is that Winegard recommends using coaxial cable to run from the antenna to the radio.  The existing wire is just that, wire with audio plugs.

Will plain wire be an adequate substitute for coaxial cable for this purpose?

coax cable is used where there mite be a problem w/ noise or interference. So if it works w/o it you don't need it. But if its not difficult I'd pull new coax rather than wish I had.
Are you sure its not coax, because most audio cables are using coax for the same reason
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.