cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1.1.1.1 - free vpn

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else using 1.1.1.1? They just released Warp out of Beta- it's basically a free vpn- for encryption, not privacy, as they forward your ip address.

It's a product of Cloudflare, who I was a beta tester for. Not sure if the forum software will let me link-
http://1.1.1.1
-- Chris Bryant
13 REPLIES 13

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Chris. I'm looking into it to see if it fits my needs at some point. It might work as an added protection layer for my personal cloud server for instance.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Words are important.
What you are contemplating isn't a VPN, it just encryption. If that's what you want, Great!
Just remember, if you don't see how they are making money to support the "free" service, its probably coming off of You somehow (like selling your history/etc).

If it bothers you so much, take it up with Cloudflare- they are the ones labeling it a vpn. If me repeating what they said bothers you, sorry.

You do know that all the traffic for RV.net goes through cloudflare anyway? Iโ€™ve dealt with them from beta days, it is a huge, ethical and profitable company- it is easy to see, if you bothered to check, how they make money, they offer paid, enhanced service. Warp plus unlimited is paid, it routes through their data centers- it is an entirely new routing method, very valuable in enterprise, which is where they make their money.

Thatโ€™s it, Iโ€™m done with this. I just wanted folks to be aware of it- PSA, nothing more.

Doesn't bother me at all- I understand what it is. Just trying to educate those that aren't all that savvy on the subject. Believe it or not, some folks will believe a salesman's claims. ๐Ÿ˜‰

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The Mozilla Corp also offers a free "VPN" built into the mobile version of Firefox
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Words are important.
What you are contemplating isn't a VPN, it just encryption. If that's what you want, Great!
Just remember, if you don't see how they are making money to support the "free" service, its probably coming off of You somehow (like selling your history/etc).

If it bothers you so much, take it up with Cloudflare- they are the ones labeling it a vpn. If me repeating what they said bothers you, sorry.

You do know that all the traffic for RV.net goes through cloudflare anyway? Iโ€™ve dealt with them from beta days, it is a huge, ethical and profitable company- it is easy to see, if you bothered to check, how they make money, they offer paid, enhanced service. Warp plus unlimited is paid, it routes through their data centers- it is an entirely new routing method, very valuable in enterprise, which is where they make their money.

Thatโ€™s it, Iโ€™m done with this. I just wanted folks to be aware of it- PSA, nothing more.
-- Chris Bryant

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Words are important.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Check out Windscribe it your only need 10 (or 15 if you treet about them once) Gb a month free.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
No, they donโ€™t cap your data at all.
You can read what it actually is at https://blog.cloudflare.com/1111-warp-better-vpn/?_ga=2.222285784.1904395270.1569500803-1222301300.1...
As I said, if I want true privacy ,Tor is always there.
-- Chris Bryant

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just a different group collecting your data. And they cap your usage as well, so they can sell a paid tier.

I use Nord when I need to be incognito to "the man", it costs a few cents per day and has been very fast.

Just my 5ยข
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Good lord, never mind then.
Sheesh...
-- Chris Bryant

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a VPN then if it offers no privacy. That's what VPN means Virtual PRIVATE Network
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem letting the websites I visit know my real op address- if I had a problem with that, Iโ€™d use Tor.
I just donโ€™t want the middle men to see my traffic, which is what this free service provides, in addition to acceleration.
-- Chris Bryant

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Is that really the definition of a VPN- with no privacy tunneling?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Most people want both Encryption and Privacy.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.