cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-Day Braised Pork Belly

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah. I know. Turkey. We're having that too. Not everyone likes turkey even deep fried.

For the side of the family that prefers pork (me and my kin) I'm going to make this Braised Pork Belly with Collard Greens. I found a local butcher that specializes in pork. The Belly will be ready by the time everyone arrives carting in the sides.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
11 REPLIES 11

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
propchef wrote:
Mmmm.....the second one.

They specify skin-on. I swear that's the best.

"The skin is usually left on pork belly since it can become very crispy, balancing the melty fat within. If you are making a larger cut of pork belly, score the skin before you begin to help the fat break down."

That's how we usually cook it when doing the Southern version.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Mmmm.....the second one.

They specify skin-on. I swear that's the best.

"The skin is usually left on pork belly since it can become very crispy, balancing the melty fat within. If you are making a larger cut of pork belly, score the skin before you begin to help the fat break down."

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Another great recipe!

As a comparison with this recipe I'll do a pork belly recipe from Japan for Christmas. We'll let the family decide which they like best.
Buta No Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork Belly)

Magnus

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Pbutler97 wrote:
How about a nice Souse sandwich? Scrapple with your eggs? Pickled Pigs feet?

In the South, we call Souse "livermush" or "liver pudding" both of which are terrible names. It's one of my all-time favorites. I rarely get to eat it anymore but I have it every time I'm in NC visiting. Livermush and grits will change your life.

I never caught on to the pickled pigs feet.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
How about a nice Souse sandwich? Scrapple with your eggs? Pickled Pigs feet?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When you insult or demean SPAM you are on dangerous ground!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Pbutler97 wrote:
No wonder healthcare costs are what they are. Between slabs of fat on salads and the Spam thread it's a cardiologists nightmare......or dream lol.

Yup, but bad food is part of our DNA here in the states. We love salt, sugar and fat, and Spam (and this pork belly recipe) is full of all 3.

I used to work with a Nutritionist and she LOVED sloppy hamburgers with fries. We used to give her a hard time but she'd always remind us she doesn't eat this daily, but it's an occasional "treat." Everything in moderation. It also helped that she was a distance runner.

Like beef short ribs, pork belly is a wonderful, occasional meal. We probably have it twice a year, plus it's hard to find good pork belly. Spam we only have if we've lost power. lol

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
"3 1/2 pounds pork belly, skinned"

Between this and the full cup of apple cider vinegar, I'll pass. That's a LOT of vinegar for this dish, and a good pork belly includes the skin. Without it, there's no way to get a good, crunchy crust.

But I do love me some pork belly, and collards are part of my regular rotation.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
No wonder healthcare costs are what they are. Between slabs of fat on salads and the Spam thread it's a cardiologists nightmare......or dream lol.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Another great recipe!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Heart attack on a plate. But that with greens looks delicious.