cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made real sourdough bread camping!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Made a loaf of sourdough bread from starter and flour I brought camping. Took me three tries to get it right, but if I hadn't been trying to "do it by the book" without sourdough bread making tools I'd probably got it the first time. I improvised the third time and made some tasty bread. Flour, water and salt is the only ingredients.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
7 REPLIES 7

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
That looks so good! I’ve been wanting to make bread but I’m lazy and also don’t know much about it. Great job though. Maybe if you post more pictures I’ll get more inspired and try it myself.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
propchef wrote:
Yum!

That looks delicious. Well-hydrated and fully proofed.

We call that a "miche," a sourdough loaf big enough to share. 🙂

That's 80% hydration. It's bulk rise was for 8hrs and it proofed upright for 2hrs-ish. 15% active starter
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Yum!

That looks delicious. Well-hydrated and fully proofed.

We call that a "miche," a sourdough loaf big enough to share. 🙂

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
WoW!!! looks very tasty. Butter and some grape jam and I would be very satisfied as breakfast!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks great! Congratulations! I think with camp cooking sometimes "the book" can be more wrong than our instincts. I bet that loaf didn't last long either.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Holy moly!!!! That's looks amazing and I bet with a slab of butter it was!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Holy moly!!!! That's looks amazing and I bet with a slab of butter it was!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton