cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Smokers! (meat, that is)

dedmiston
How many of you bring a portable smoker with you to camp?

What's your go-to smoker and what do you love to cook at camp?

I've had a Traeger for a few years and it's been a little bulky. My wife gave it to me for Christmas years ago specifically to take with us camping, but it's pretty hard to load into the trailer. I use the heck out of it at home, but slowly stopped bringing it with us to camp.

This summer my mom gave me a Barbecues Galore gift card for my birthday, so I went shopping and found the Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill. Even though it's 80 pounds dry (no pellets), it's still light enough that I can get it in and out of the RV without too much trouble.

I love to cook in camp. This grill is good for smoking cowboy beans, chickens, roasts, ribs... You name it.

So what's your camp smoker and what do you like to cook at camp?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
26 REPLIES 26

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Traeger Ranger this past summer. Worked great for us but since we didn't have a heat shiels under it it burned our table. We saw the Davy Crockett and liked the idea of the legs. We have tried ribs, Papa Murphys pizza, steak, and of course burgers/dogs. All worked well. My only concern is having to lock it up in the TT when we leave the campground.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Weber Smoky Mountain. The smoke tube on the Weber Q looks interesting too
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Prime brisket on the smoker this morning and a 10 lbs. ham going on in a couple of hours. Tis the season! Merry Christmas smokers!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dedmiston
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I have carried my Weber Smokey Mountain 14" smoker with us on several occasions, but honestly I prefer to just use the LizzQ smoke tube from Amazon on the Weber Q120.
If I plan to do quite a bit of smoking I will still take the WSM, but that stupid little LizzQ is so versatile that it is my go to. I even bought one to have at home and use it on the pellet grill. Cool morning? Cold smoked cheese! Yum!

Amen to the smoke tube. I smoked sixteen one-pound blocks of cheddar a few days ago so they'll be two weeks old on Christmas Even when I give them to friends.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have carried my Weber Smokey Mountain 14" smoker with us on several occasions, but honestly I prefer to just use the LizzQ smoke tube from Amazon on the Weber Q120.
If I plan to do quite a bit of smoking I will still take the WSM, but that stupid little LizzQ is so versatile that it is my go to. I even bought one to have at home and use it on the pellet grill. Cool morning? Cold smoked cheese! Yum!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a smoke hollow unit. Not large by any stretch of the imagination. It can do enough meat to feed 4-6 persons. No electricity needed, which is a must for me as we boondock any time I'd be using it. No generators for me. Smoke Hollow has three burners. Two for heat and one that heats the wood chip tray. I've made super good baby backs and I've done a small pulled pork roast. Pretty easy to keep it at 250 ish degrees.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love my Bradley Smoker.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I brought my big electric smoker with me snowbirding this year, but you folks are giving me some great ideas that might be more convenient in the future!

And what about this one? Do you think I could make bacon in it?

Several of the reviewers are RVers. Apparently the small size means that the meat gets a bit steamed, and is good too dry it out by baking in an oven afterwards. I'm not quite sure how I would achieve that on a camp stove... but this thing sure is van sized!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
at home I use a Bradley electric (its ok but I wan a big green egg when my numbers come in) camping we use the camp fire........ 95% of the food we eat camping is prepared on the fire.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

jfak7670
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Char-Broil Big Easy smoker and grill for camping. It is easy to assemble and use and it is surely worth the money. As a backyard grill this one is perfect for us. Meat is very tender, smokey with a nice crust on the outside. My wife likes everything
I grill and smoke for her. (https://pickadvisor.org/best-infrared-grill/ )

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd like to get a Big Green Egg Mini Max to carry along, but hat to spend that much money on one that won't get used very often.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since we boondock almost exclusively and even if we're in a campground or park there is usually no hook ups. I use a Vector Smoke Hollow propane/wood smoker. 2 burners for the "heat" and one burner that addresses the wood chip tray. I can make as ribs and pulled pork just as good on that as on anything I've used. The only draw back is it is good for 2 baby back or St. Louis style. Prolly one full untrimmed spare rib rack. It'll take two tri-tips easily, maybe three. Bout a 6 pound pork roast for pulled pork. Very adjustable for heat. Good little unit for smoking. Not really that great for grilling.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
goreds2 wrote:
dalej wrote:
Good price on the refurbished Masterbuilt portable

Portable Masterbuilt
I have the portable smoker which cost $79 new. Love it! I am not very good at smoking the ribs. I am pretty good at smoking chicken so stick to my strength. 🙂

I'd be happy to coach you through making great ribs.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
dalej wrote:
Good price on the refurbished Masterbuilt portable

Portable Masterbuilt
I have the portable smoker which cost $79 new. Love it! I am not very good at smoking the ribs. I am pretty good at smoking chicken so stick to my strength. 🙂
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds