cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch Salsa

MCDDY
Explorer
Explorer
Went to World Market with Miss Sue and as always I head for the spices section. They now have Hatch Green Chile Salsa in Mild and Hot varieties. 1st. time I've ever seen it. We got the mild and is excellent with some tang that doesn't hang on and on as lots of others do. Then they carry the Xochitl Chipotle Salsa which is very good also along the the Xochitl chips that are becoming fairly common at other stores locally.
Either one of those and a frosty XX Amber = pretty good eating.

Dave
GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy
13 REPLIES 13

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
USARMYCW wrote:
Wife just bought some "hatch peppers" and they were just like "bell peppers. Not hot at all. What gives?

They might have been Anaheim's and labeled as NM chilies. They came from NM originally and are very similar to the NM chilies, but not much heat.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to thank those who posted because this thread finally solved a mystery for me. I googled Hatch chiles and learned about the whole NM chile phenomenon.

When we were in NM in early fall 2011, while grocery shopping at Walmart, I couldn't figure out the stacks of BIG boxes containing chiles in the veggie dept. I mean, who can use that much of any vegetable at once? Now I've learned people get them roasted to prep and freeze for the year's supply.

We are headed back to spend two weeks+ in N. NM in early October. Can't wait. Looking forward to some good eats.

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
MCDDY wrote:
Went to World Market with Miss Sue and as always I head for the spices section. They now have Hatch Green Chile Salsa in Mild and Hot varieties. 1st. time I've ever seen it. We got the mild and is excellent with some tang that doesn't hang on and on as lots of others do. Then they carry the Xochitl Chipotle Salsa which is very good also along the the Xochitl chips that are becoming fairly common at other stores locally.
Either one of those and a frosty XX Amber = pretty good eating.

Dave

World Market near Mall of LA? I was just in the mall but didn't go there. Bummer.

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
When we Retired in Aug. 2010 our first stop was the Hatch Chili Festival. Green Chili Ice cream yum yum.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
It's really hard to beat NM this time of year (or any other time of year for that matter).
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We've been known to drive back to the NW from NM with 6 ristras hanging inside the RV. Another amazing aroma.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
I know how you guys feel about chile. Have to carry a full freezer full, well almost, when we travel. Just an FYI, not an advertisement because I've not personally used them but there is a website that ships chile, I'm sure there are more but I know of this one. Chile Monster Next week they should start harvesting this year's crop. And don't forget the festival Labor Day weekendHatch Chile Festival

Bien Venidos Nuevo Mexico. Welcome to New Mexico

Sheila aka....
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
USARMYCW wrote:
Wife just bought some "hatch peppers" and they were just like "bell peppers. Not hot at all. What gives?

The cans of green chilis are not hot unless they are marked so.

Hatch chilis are not famous for their heat, they are famous for their depth of flavor.

There ARE hot Hatch chilis around.

The outlets around Las Cruces have all varieties and blends. kind of like a coffee or tea shop.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I love NM in the fall when Hatch chilies are being fire roasted beside the road... amazing smells.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
USARMYCW wrote:

Probably not really Hatch chile peppers. The local stores are about ready to start bringing in the fresh ones and they have roasters outside the store roasting them all day long. We buy them in 30 lb. bags around here.:B
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen the salsa, but I can buy the canned chillies.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hatch stuff is awesome. We spent a week around Las Cruces exploring and got hooked. Been having chili powder and canned chilis shipped in ever since.

Got our danged Walmart to carry it canned peppers.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.