cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Food recommendations for chemo patient.

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
My dh has an uncle that has been diagnosed with cancer. His wife passed a few years ago and they were childless. We both love him very much and want to help him all we can thru this. I would like ideas from you folks if you have had experience with preparing food for a cancer patient. I know I could meet with a dietician, but thought some of you folks that have been thru this would have great ideas. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, I asked a very similar question when my SIL was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to undergo chemo...

A great answer, as I was not the live-in caregiver - because of how the taste buds quickly change in chemo patients, get a basket of little things, all mixed up flavors - both sweet and savory. Like a packet of cheese crackers, bag of M&Ms, sausage sticks, gum, canned soup - just walk up and down a nice grocery store's aisles, and you'll come up with tons of ideas. I believe I ended up filling a small laundry basket and she loved the idea! My brother said she (SIL) would ask him to run out for "XXX" and by the time he returned with it, it didn't sound good to her and she wouldn't eat it.

Good luck.
Cancer SUCKS!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
When in doubt, google.

Really, recently I've tried several of the topics raised here on google and come up with quite the variety of positive options.

For this one topic search words: chemotherapy diet chart, seem to bring up the widest variety of ideas.

Re. lots of things, listen to your tummy.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
As a former cancer patient - leukemia, I recommend grilled cheese on rye, pudding and broth based soups. Also try ensure for a good protein source. All these worked out well for me. It really doesn't matter what a nutritionist or anyone else says - it's what will stay down. Keep trying if you don't succeed. Good luck and keep his spirits up - a good attitude goes a long way.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure the cancer center where he is receiving treatment has a person on staff whose job it is to provide just this kind of support. Mine did. Indeed, I was required to meet with people on a weekly basis, whether I felt that I needed it or not.
Lynn

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I went for easy to digest foods in conjunction with the oncologist's written list of banned and recommended foods; pretty sure her office's dietician formulated it.

Made a lot of soups before chemo started and used home made stock with no salt added (hypertension and diabetic predisposition concerns). Added salt to taste when ready to serve. Mostly plant based which was partially my own food philosophy.
Found I couldn't properly digest many wheat based products so switched to gluten free.

The soups were about all I felt up to eating during the worst of the chemo's aftereffects so glad I made the effort in advance.

Also found simple egg dishes of use. The most complex proteins I could eat was chicken and I preferred when it was shredded. Oh right many of the soups were bean based.

All I can say in a general manner and wishing your uncle is his best soonest.

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention he is also a diabetic.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really would be best to meet with a dietician that is familiar with the type of treatment he is/will be going thru.
You, the Uncle and dietician should meet and discuss HIS issues.

It is NOT a 'this works/that works' kind of thing.

Best wishes!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend who gave her husband Quinoa because it easy on the stomach and high in protein.