cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooking surfaces and tools, What's your favorite to use!

BlackSeriesUS
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are plenty of "Favorite" cooking appliances out there, the top one probably being the barbecue. Beside your barbecue, what else do you like to cook with? What special cooking surface do you like to use.
For me, when my son was in the Boy Scouts, I learned a lot of the ins and outs of the Dutch oven. So for me, my cast iron Dutch oven with the fancy BSA emblem lid is my favorite. I even use it at home and try to cook different foods in it so that I can cook it again while camping.
What's Yours?
23 REPLIES 23

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old 12" Rival Electric Dutch oven. I can use it as a skillet, a deep pan, and as a slow cooker. Great for frying chicken, chops, or fish. Also great for soups or roasts. I use it if the weather does not cooperate and I want to stay inside. I got it as a present from my MIL and for about 5 years it stayed in the box. Ended up using it one day and have not looked back. Ended up buying the 16" oval one for the house.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have about 30 Griswolds and Wagners at home, in the TT, and at the cabin. We carry 3 CI pans in the TT because I love cooking on them. We also carry 2 Coleman white gas stoves when camping. I believe that when you are camping, you deserve to eat food that is just as good as at home. We rarely cook in the TT.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch Ovens in cast iron and aluminum. Collect them too, 23 in all. My ancient Wagners, Griswolds and other antiques stay home but the Lodge go with me.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a Weber 2000,a 2 burner coleman propane stove,and 2 coleman propane skillets and a cast iron dutch oven. I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the propane skillets but they haven't made them in years. I keep looking for them but they usually want a fortune for them on ebay and such.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 240V convection cooktop inside the rig, and got rid of our Blackstone in favor of a Lodge cast iron griddle designed to work with it. I never was a huge fan of the Blackstone - we had a 17" and eventually upgraded to the 22" (which was better about it), but they both heated unevenly. For a lot of meals that isn't an issue, but it's quite annoying when trying to make hibachi rice dishes (for example), where you are trying to brown evenly across the entire surface (it's doable, but you have to keep it moving on the Blackstone). Our cooktop (Kenyon Bridge)/ griddle (Lodge Pro-Grid) combo is much better suited for that.

My current favorite would have to be our Ooni Karu 12 pizza oven. We make pizza at least once a week and it's hard to beat wood-fired pizza baked at 800-1000F.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch ovens. They can cook anything.
Sometimes I bring a small charcoal grill. Light and easy to pack around.
Both styles take some time to put a good fire together and cook slowly. It is the right pace for camping.
Sometimes in spring and fall I camp near town and invite friends to dinner.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Blackstone griddle, it works well. I am not sure that it is any better than a griddle accessory for some of the gas grills.

If you have a Weber they have griddle plates that will replace the grates.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like to cook on anything but non-stick.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
garmp wrote:
I know that I'm in the minority, but I love my Cobb Grill. Cook, grill, smoke, fry, most any type of cooking you want and is very fuel, charcoal briquettes, efficient and compact.

We have one as well but use it more at home. I like the CobbleStones for fuel. Little pricey, but work much better than briquettes. When we got our Cobb Grill the CobbleStones didn't exist.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Colman white gas stove, colman roadtrip grill and a blackstone. All 3 live in the camper. When we do other stuff, like more siteseeing, and less camping , the insta pot and the air fryer make the trip. So it depends on what we have planed. At disney, the crock pot function of the insta pot was key for a nice hot dinner when we got back from the parks. Air fryer make quick work of breakfast.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that I'm in the minority, but I love my Cobb Grill. Cook, grill, smoke, fry, most any type of cooking you want and is very fuel, charcoal briquettes, efficient and compact.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Another vote for the blackstone. Other than a pretty pattern, does great on just about anything...and try to make eggs or pancakes on a gril.

I have no problem cooking eggs, pancakes, or most other conventional foods on my pellet grille. Cast iron can cook about anywhere.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Removed
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

BlackSeriesUS
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
I can cook almost anything on the Blackstone. I carry an old grate from my Weber and lay it on the Blackstone to get grill marks. Seeing is believing and it magically becomes bbq'd. 😉

That's cool! And cheating in the BBQ world, I think. I'll have to check the Men's guide to BBQ-ing to see if you are in violation. Hahahaha

(Very cool idea though. Good thinking.;)