cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooking Lobster

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
There are several ways to cook. Which tastes better, or does it matter?
On a low purine diet.

Thanks
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL
28 REPLIES 28

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
It's in your taste buds.

Maximum 2 inches water low boil. Salt to your diet. & I'm on a low salt diet. Best lobster restaurant in these parts also does comparatively low salt.

30 minutes for something over a pound.

45 minutes for 2 pounder.

In my 6 quart stainless steel pot I can cook 2 1.75 pound beauties.

& of course, put into pot alive.

:B :B :B
Just another Swamp Yankee from New England here but I gotta agree with yankee camper and paulcardoza, I have never seen a lobster cooked longer than 12 to 15 minutes. Maybe if you start with cold seawater that takes 18 minutes to boil then 30 minutes is about right. :R
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta agree here! 30min is waaaay too long.

yankee camper wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
Did ya pay attention to the 2" of water I use. Sure you bring the water to a boil, but it's the steam that cooks. Didn't think mine was that hard to read.

:C

Are YOU paying attention? I don't care if your steaming in 2 or 12 inches of water steam is steam and if you cook it that long it WILL be jerked lobster, maybe this isn't too hard for ya to read
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
It's in your taste buds.

Maximum 2 inches water low boil. Salt to your diet. & I'm on a low salt diet. Best lobster restaurant in these parts also does comparatively low salt.

30 minutes for something over a pound.

45 minutes for 2 pounder.

In my 6 quart stainless steel pot I can cook 2 1.75 pound beauties.

& of course, put into pot alive.

:B :B :B

I forgot more about cooking seafood than you'll ever know :R

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
You should limit seafood intake if you have Gout, shrimp, crab, lobsters..... Otherwise enjoy them, never over cook, dip in butter.

My "lobster killing with aplomb" mother's gout restricted diet doesn't include lobster which makes her veddy veddy happy; she's less happy about the scallops and trout though.

Mayo Clinic

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
You should limit seafood intake if you have Gout, shrimp, crab, lobsters..... Otherwise enjoy them, never over cook, dip in butter.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
yankee camper wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
Did ya pay attention to the 2" of water I use. Sure you bring the water to a boil, but it's the steam that cooks. Didn't think mine was that hard to read.

Are YOU paying attention? I don't care if your steaming in 2 or 12 inches of water steam is steam and if you cook it that long it WILL be jerked lobster, maybe this isn't too hard for ya to read

Heyyyyyyyy! How can this be jerked lobster without mace and scallions and and scotch bonnet peppers? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wading into this "den of inequities" I'd say that any lobster's shell that turns red is cooked no matter whether you use indirect heat as in steaming or direct as in grilling. That observation keeps me from worrying about the cooking time and allows me to inhale any excess cooking smells that might escape< insert swooning emoticon here>.

Still I uhm err can't think of any lobsters I've steamed for 45 minutes.
Oops.

OH and I just want to say it's really mean of any New Englander to allow me to wander the region for several years and not tell me about Captain Scott's Lobster Deck!?! Discovered it this year w/o yer help just like Abbot's Lobster. Humph:B.

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
NYCgrrl:

"Basically, you can cook and eat lobsters most any way you want.
Have you a preference in how you want to cook it? Broiled, grilled, in the oven?"

Steamed or boiled. Best way that doesn't smell up the kitchen. I can grill and boil water outside if necessary.
Thinking just tails from Costco. Live not really an option here unless air freighted.

I might feel empathy towards your lack of live lobbies but thennn I remember the abalone, Dungeness crabs, and wild salmon you can get and I'm back in Oscar the Grouch mode ;).

Were I standing where you are now I'd grill 'em and maybe serve with steaks. And steamed spinach or a tomato Caprese salad.
Here's another grilled recipe especially for tails:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/grilled-lobster-tails-spicy-citrus-butter.aspx
Gosh. I'm getting "hongry" reading all these recipes! And I wanna go camping again but there is always tomorrow:c.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl:

"Basically, you can cook and eat lobsters most any way you want.
Have you a preference in how you want to cook it? Broiled, grilled, in the oven?"

Steamed or boiled. Best way that doesn't smell up the kitchen. I can grill and boil water outside if necessary.
Thinking just tails from Costco. Live not really an option here unless air freighted.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
K Charles wrote:
And then listen to them cry.

Go ahead.
Cry me a river?

https://youtu.be/2Gn9A-kdsRo
...guess Ella was eating those lobsters with hot sauce.......

The lobster cries when you put it in the water, not me.

Somewhere floating around the 'net is an audio file of a GF and me doing "vocals" for a mass lobster kill since we dinna hear anything during our production run. Think we cooked 16 lobbies that day. Unfortunately the forum closed down and I haven't the foggiest idea how to find the file. Yes it's true. There are times when I've absolutely nothing constructive to do with my time, LOL.

Coolbreeze - I see you updated your post to say a "purine diet". My mother has lived on that kind of diet for the last 10 odd years. She's probably eaten her weight in lobsters during that time frame. Also baby lamb chops but that's a different story.
Basically, you can cook and eat lobsters most any way you want.
Have you a preference in how you want to cook it? Broiled, grilled, in the oven?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
K Charles wrote:
And then listen to them cry.

Go ahead.
Cry me a river?

https://youtu.be/2Gn9A-kdsRo
...guess Ella was eating those lobsters with hot sauce.......

The lobster cries when you put it in the water, not me.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Here is Chef Gordon Ramsay. Yes, this is safe for work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQjdcUuw3Yk

You are braver than me.
I thought to post this vid but decided it made me look too much like the "effete barbarian" I am:B :

How to Kill a Lobster

There is currently three 1 gallon Ziploc bags of shells in my freezer cuz I firmly subscribe to the "waste not, want not" thunk;).

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I like how Ramsay doesn't waste any meat.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Grilling lobster
I was just listening to NPR about grilling lobsters and thinking what a wonderful idea when we are on the road. Now I just have to go to Maine.