cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Small BBQ to Propane (help needed)

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
(I did do the search engine first.)

Does anyone have a SMALL-er BBQ that they like that they have converted to use with their RV quick connect (instead of using the little propane tag-along bottles)?

I have a small BBQ that I like, but I cannot find appropriate connectors. (IF someone has a suggestion as to where to find such, that would also be welcomed.) So, I may be thinking of just trying something new, if you all have some nifty recommendations.

Thank you.

Lura
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."
14 REPLIES 14

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood; I though you wanted to run your grille of the trailer's quick connect (low pressure) fitting. If using bottles or external tanks, no conversion is necessary and hoses are available everywhere.

Ron: You were VERY helpful. No misunderstanding. I (along the way) changed what I was doing on MY end.

For your info, I put a fuel conversion kit on my little Honda 2200i, which I have mounted on the tongue of my itty bitty travel trailer. My little brother helped me do this, and I am absolutely ECSTATIC about how it came out!!

I have a Stromberg Tray on the front, with a LowPro LockDown Tray bolted on that; and have the Honda locked in that. I added the Hutch Mountain 3-fuel Conversion to that, and have a quick connect adapter immediately on the front of my trailer so I can use my little Honda with propane (I did NOT wish to carry gasoline, period).

As we were doing that, I have all along wanted a portable propane grill that I could use with my travel trailer quick connect (OR a smaller propane tank - just not the little bottles). I decided to unbox my Coleman Roadtrip grill, and was able to get a connector to fit that and my smaller propane bottle OR use with the trailer quick connect.

NOW I am looking at a "better" version of all of that in the way of a small, portable propane grill.

SO, YES!! You helped a bunch, Kind Sir!!! And I have since been well "educated up" on propane quick connectors, etc. It was a little confusion on my part, at first. But, I get it now!!!!

So, do not dispare!! You have been spot on!! THANK YOU!!!
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps I misunderstood; I though you wanted to run your grille of the trailer's quick connect (low pressure) fitting. If using bottles or external tanks, no conversion is necessary and hoses are available everywhere.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
Follow-up note:

When I retired a few years ago, I was given a Coleman Roadtrip BBQ. Never unboxed it until now. Looked at the connector on it (for LP) and did some research. Went to my local Sportsmans Warehouse, and PRESTO!!! They had the EXACT propane connector I needed to use with that particular set-up. Hooked up to my "smaller" portable 2.5# propane bottle, and wahla!! Worked like a charm.

NOW I am not so sure I am in love with the Coleman Roadtrip grill. It heats up nicely on one end, but not so much on the other. AND it is very light and easy to move, pick up, roll around, etc. And works so well with my squatty bottel of LP!!

Will now research some recommendations on this forum for "favorite grills". THAT ought to be an experience!!!

THANK YOU TO ONE AND ALL!!! Your help has been GREATLY appreciated!!

Lura
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry the old link to the adapter above no longer works. Here's the new link:

WEBER ADAPTER, 1/8" NPT

Of course, this is for the Weber Q, but your application might be similar.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how you would convert your bbq for low pressure propane, assuming you have a removeable regulation like the Weber Q. On the Weber, the regulator simply unscrews and you're left with a male 1/8"NPT fitting to deal with. This post is old so hopefully the links still work.

WEBER CONVERSION:
WEBER CONVERSION
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
Bob (Murphy) - Thank you for the above links! I have previously been on the rvupgrade store, but had not thought to think they might have such.

AND that caloreequipment link is AWESOME!!

Thank you!! Very helpful, one and all!
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
48" in stock (72" and 120" Out of stock)
MB Sturgis quick connect hose...replace 1 lb bottles

A great source for all things propane is:

https://caloreequipment.com/

They also carry both high pressure and low pressure connects - the two are NOT compatible. RVs made before about 2007 with quick connects typically used high pressure fittings because they weren't pressure regulated; RVs made after that typically use the low pressure connects since they are downstream of the main regulator. I believe the industry standards now require the quick connects to be pressure regulated thus the use of the low pressure quick connects.

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much, CA T!
I will take your suggestions accordingly, and go visit my friend LP guy!!!

Thank you for all of the visual links!!!!!!
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI From my BBQ manual.
The gas pressure regulator provided with this appliance must be used. This regulator is equipped with the required orifice and is set for the required outlet pressure for this appliance. This combination of orifice size and pressure regulation specifications provides the cooking performance intended by the manufacturer. Substitution of regulator for any other device is dangerous and could result in serious injury.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Virtually all BBQ's come with a regulator and attach to the high pressure side of the propane tank. I went the above route so that I could attach any BBQ plus it's regulated by it's own regulator and that includes the small bottle type.

The instructions for my current BBQ state not to use a different regulator which made me wonder about the pressure. Lighting is unique in that it shoots a flame out from the valve about 8" to the burner.

Search the internet for the parts you need or go to a propane shop with your hose and BBQ.

Bob

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
OOPSIE!!!
Okay, you guys are awesome!! However, I do have THAT end figured out already.
It is the BBQ itself that I need help with.
Most small little BBQ's have their own regulator where you attach the tiny bottle.
I wish to take that off (it is OFF), and convert the BBQ end of things to my propane quick connect.
Thoughts?
Or brand of small BBQ that comes already adapted?
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is my high pressure adapter with a El (for hose routing considerations) and a shutoff valve. The top external tank port came with the adapter. The BBQ connector is the standard 1lb 1" screw on propane bottle type.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Hoses with the standard 1” screw on adapters are available. And an adapter for the standard BBQ regulator fitting are available. Propane stores can also make custom length hoses however I use 1 or 2 12' hoses as needed.

Here are the parts that connect to any grill.

Bob

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
48" in stock (72" and 120" Out of stock)
MB Sturgis quick connect hose...replace 1 lb bottles
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have done this with more than one propane device. In some cases I have been able to cut off the end of a hose that has one correct end and add the right fitting on the other end via a barbed fitting and hose clamp. In other instances I have spliced 2 hoses with a barbed coupler.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk